NJ Same-Sex Marriage Bill to be Considered Next Week

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
Monday, the State Senate Judiciary Committee will consider a bill to legalize same-sex marriages in New Jersey. The full Upper House could vote on the measure as early as this Thursday. Time is of the essence for advocates of gay marriage. Governor Jon Corzine says he'll sign the bill into law if it reaches his desk, but Governor-elect Chris Christie says he would veto such a measure and he will be officially sworn-in January 19th.

A bill that would have allowed same-sex marriage was rejected by New York lawmakers earlier this week. Many pundits felt sure it was a bruising outcome for national advocates in a state that was the site of one of the gay rights movement's defining moments four decades ago, and a huge victory for opponents who said it could influence votes elsewhere.

New Jersey 101.5 FM Radio

Isn't this issue usually put to referendum? Any predictions?

I live in NJ and I support same sex marriage.

But I oppose pushing through a lame duck bill to avoid Christie. Christie was elected and stated his opposition outright.
The bill should go through the formal process

I don't agree with you rightwinger, but I respect your opinion. I'm all for civil unions with all the same rights as marriage, but I don't believe in changing the definition of the word. But I am still confused as to why it goes to referendum in some states, and not in NJ. Do you know why?

I don't agree with you rightwinger, but I respect your opinion. I'm all for civil unions with all the same rights as marriage, but I don't believe in changing the definition of the word. But I am still confused as to why it goes to referendum in some states, and not in NJ. Do you know why?

the states where it has gone to referendum have been states where same sex marriage has been legalized by the legislature and the referenda have been used to overturn that law.

we've had same sex marriage here for almost six years, and it's made almost as big a difference in my life and marriage of 27 years as the hale-bopp comet.

almost.

If NJ is going to get same sex marriage, it shouldn't be through some last minute back door legislation.

I do not believe a vote is the way to determine what rights or privleges another group should have. Should whites get to vote on whether blacks should be allowed to vote?

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on whats for supper

If NJ is going to get same sex marriage, it shouldn't be through some last minute back door legislation.

I do not believe a vote is the way to determine what rights or privleges another group should have. Should whites get to vote on whether blacks should be allowed to vote?

what difference is there between a legislature voting a bill into law and a general election to do the same, besides scope?

what difference is there between a legislature voting a bill into law and a general election to do the same, besides scope?

The difference is living in a republic vs living in a democracy. In a republic we elect representatives to execute policy, we don't vote on every policy.

If America got to vote on slavery or civil rights, none would have passed. That is why we need courts to protect the rights of the minority

The difference is living in a republic vs living in a democracy. In a republic we elect representatives to execute policy, we don't vote on every policy.

If America got to vote on slavery or civil rights, none would have passed. That is why we need courts to protect the rights of the minority

but i thought you said rights should never be voted on?

what difference does the venue make?

Sorry RW we do it all the time. All you are saying is you want to limit the number of people voting. Preferably to those who are more likely to agree with you.

Again if you call it civil unions and give it the same tax breaks and other benefits as a marriage no one cares, call it a marriage and you piss off more than half the population even in the people's Republic of California.

As has been pointed out previously it goes to referendums almost always because the legislature tries to over ride the desires of the people by passing such legislation and then a petition gets started to hold a referendum on the issue and whenever such a referendum is held it has in every case repudiated the legislatures action.

Last edited:
Just more dictatorship by the politicians.

Why not let the people vote on the issue?

Because nobody should vote on what rights others are allowed to have

So what do you call the NJ legislature taking up the gay marriage bill? Last I checked, they have to essentially "vote" on it for it to become law. And, there has been a vote no less than thirty-one times now, and then there's the small matter of same-sex marriage being an alteration on a right they already have.

Last edited:
Sorry RW we do it all the time. All you are saying is you want to limit the number of people voting. Preferably to those who are more likely to agree with you.

Again if you call it civil unions and give it the same tax breaks and other benefits as a marriage no one cares, call it a marriage and you piss off more than half the population even in the people's Republic of California.

As has been pointed out previously it goes to referendums almost always because the legislature tries to over ride the desires of the people by passing such legislation and then a petition gets started to hold a referendum on the issue and whenever such a referendum is held it has in every case repudiated the legislatures action.

Majority rules negates the purpose of the Constitution.

There is nothing regarding the constitution in this debate. This debate is about a word. That word is Marriage. You are unwilling to settle for a civil union because in your sin you'd prefer to feel that everyone else approves of you guess what jack that will never happen. Get over it. Take what you can get and move on.

If I remember correctly, not all states have referendum/initiative processes. And in some cases, it's merely a matter of the procedure the supporters of a bill choose to use. If they know they have a lot of support in the state legislature but maybe not so much in the voting population, they go the legislature route. If, on the other hand, they know they have a lot of popular support but the legislature is dominated by a party that doesn't support them, they go to the ballot box.

There is nothing regarding the constitution in this debate. This debate is about a word. That word is Marriage. You are unwilling to settle for a civil union because in your sin you'd prefer to feel that everyone else approves of you guess what jack that will never happen. Get over it. Take what you can get and move on.

The 14th amendment says it does.

People like you are the first ones to shout "sin!" while pretending you are free of sin. You're the kind of hypocrite that embarrasses Christianity and you're the kind of Christian that does nothing but try to make others feel bad. You're also the worst kind of American because you want to use the government to force your theology on others while ignoring the basic principles of equality that is the basis for our Constitution.

You know nothing of Christ as demonstrated by your bigotry and you know nothing of America as demonstrated by your claim this issue has nothing to do with the Constitution.

I will believe that people really care about Marriage and the word 'marriage' as soon as they pass laws criminalizing divorce and criminalizing adultery.

I agree with Del on this one. The venue really makes no difference. Gay Marriage has no negative impact on society.

Just more dictatorship by the politicians.

Why not let the people vote on the issue?

Is this more of your lame attempt to justify bigotry by numbers instead of ethics?

So you are saying that the American people can't be trusted to vote rationally or logically?

That we should have a Democracy in name only?

And the people should have NO say in the laws that we live under?

Forum List

Back