NJ outlaws dropping out of school

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
This is a great way to raise those graduation rates. It will cost a zillion dollars. It will lower the bar for all students. It will make schools less safe.

Overall, it will decrease learning, but hey - everyone knows that's not the real purpose of school.

Since at least 2002, a bill to make students stay in school until they turn 18 has been introduced in every session of the state Legislature, but it never went very far before dying with a thousand other bills.

Today, the measure (A1411) was revived, clearing the Assembly Education Committee by a party-line vote of 6-2. And it appears to be on a roll , as it’s also scheduled for a Senate Education Committee hearing Monday.

All it took was for the president to call on states to pass it in his State of the Union address last week.

N.J. Assembly panel approves bill raising minimum school dropout age to 18 | NJ.com

Thank you president Obama. I look forward to working with more kids with violent criminal histories. :evil:

Some kids are just unwilling to learn. It will make the job harder for those teachers who want to teach and for those kids who want to learn, for a kid who is forced to remain in school until he graduates.

This is a great way to raise those graduation rates. It will cost a zillion dollars. It will lower the bar for all students. It will make schools less safe.

Overall, it will decrease learning, but hey - everyone knows that's not the real purpose of school.

Since at least 2002, a bill to make students stay in school until they turn 18 has been introduced in every session of the state Legislature, but it never went very far before dying with a thousand other bills.

Today, the measure (A1411) was revived, clearing the Assembly Education Committee by a party-line vote of 6-2. And it appears to be on a roll , as it’s also scheduled for a Senate Education Committee hearing Monday.

All it took was for the president to call on states to pass it in his State of the Union address last week.

N.J. Assembly panel approves bill raising minimum school dropout age to 18 | NJ.com

Thank you president Obama. I look forward to working with more kids with violent criminal histories. :evil:

so your republican governor isn't going to sign it. right?

first off, coming out of committee doesn't mean it's going to be law. right? second, isn't joisey run by republicans?

i'm not quite sure how you extrapolate out from encouragement of education in the SOTU to this bill. but what the heck, it must be obama's fault.

Last edited:

i am so glad most teachers do not have your sorry attitude towards the kids they teach......do yourself a favor and do the kids a favor...find another occupation that does not make you so bitter

TRENTON — Since at least 2002, a bill to make students stay in school until they turn 18 has been introduced in every session of the state Legislature, but it never went very far before dying with a thousand other bills.

Eighty-seven percent of New Jersey students graduate high school — the highest rate in the nation, according to the Diplomas Count 2011 report, an annual review of graduation rates. But the number of graduates could decline once the state institutes a more rigorous, federally mandated method for calculating the statistic .

i am so glad most teachers do not have your sorry attitude towards the kids they teach......do yourself a favor and do the kids a favor...find another occupation that does not make you so bitter

it would be nice for teachers if all kids were great students. truth be known, i disagree with her on most things. but i sure wouldn't want chanel's job. i

i wouldnt want a lot of jobs....but i think if her attitude on here is reflected in her classroom then everyone is losing.....

chanel continues to prove that its never the teacher...its always the pupil

Some kids would be better off dropping out of HS and learning a trade.

yes. and there used to be good vocational high schools. there might still be in some places. but you can't do the programs if you suck all the money out of government.

One can get a job as an apprentice without a government school you know.

because there's no competition for jobs or anything.

you don't get internships or apprenticeships now unless you have prior experience. you can't even get a job driving a truck for federal express without a college degree.

at one time high school had vocational training....but then everyone was tracked for higher education.....

i have nothing against apprenticeships.....that is how most tradesmen get started

yes. and there used to be good vocational high schools. there might still be in some places. but you can't do the programs if you suck all the money out of government.

you don't get internships or apprenticeships now unless you have prior experience. you can't even get a job driving a truck for federal express without a college degree.

Bull.

When I was in HS I got a job working as a grunt for a carpenter I could have stayed on with him and learned to build a house if I had chosen to do so.

Bull.

When I was in HS I got a job working as a grunt for a carpenter I could have stayed on with him and learned to build a house if I had chosen to do so.

you were in high school a long time ago.

things change. *shrug*

Bull.

you were in high school a long time ago.

things change. *shrug*

Nothing in carpentry has changed that much that one cannot still learn on the job.

Going to have a mised effect.

Some of those kinds who were on the fence about dropping out will stay and benefit from the experience.

Many kids who can't drop out will become a source of problems that every other student and teacher will be forced to deal with every damned day.

Like the old saying I just made up goes:

"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him sit in his seat, shut up and crack a book"

that is how construction is.......you are a carpenter's helper for a long time...basically you do all the bitch work...shoveling and cleaning...then one day...the carpenter's helper...buys a few tools and puts on a tool belt and sees the foreman.....he declares he is now a carpenter and would like a carpenter's wages...the foreman will see the carpenters and ask what they think......

its been that way for how long? since the beginning of time

Bones - how dare you? Our school has 93 percent graduation rate. The 7 percent who drop out do so for a handful of reasons; mostly incarceration. I advocate for the 93 percent. Someone has to.

We provide every safety net you could think of to keep kids in school. But every once in a while, a kid who threatens to blow up the school is permitted to leave if he is so inclined. Not any more I guess.

Forum List

Back