NFL Season Is Too Long. So Many Are Being Put On Season Ending IR List

mudwhistle

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2009
Headmaster's Office, Hogwarts
tumblr_ngp6acI4Ob1ra90n2o1_1280.jpg

Cardinals place rookie DT Ed Stinson on season-ending IR

I've never seen this many players going on the season ending IR list. I think it's because the NFL plays too many games ... and with every game, more and more talent ends up sitting on the couch instead of staying on the field.

By the end of the regular season NFL teams play 20 games. In college, their roster has over 100 players yet they only play 11-12 games during the regular season and one bowl game if they qualify. The NFL expects a 53 man roster to play 20 games. Is there any wonder that so many are getting so seriously injured. The teams that go to the Super Bowl ends up playing as many as 24 games. Doesn't sound like that many compared to other sports ... but most sports don't have 300 lb men who can run the 40 in 4.7 seconds crashing into each other and bringing each other to the ground.

NFL injuries Season over for Marshall Mettenberger Ellington

A possible solution is cut down the pre-season to one game and if they insist on playing 17 weeks, cut the season back to 14 games and 3 byes. Either that or just shorten the season, because this is getting ridiculous.

Seems to happen every year as teams limp to the end of the season. The best team does not win the playoffs as much as the healthiest team

And the NFL wants an 18 game season

I think there are more injuries because they are too heavily padded. If you can deliver a blow without feeling it, then you are going to hit full speed. If you have less padding, then you have to be more thoughtful to your health. Shoulder pads and a helmet only.

Also, performance enhancing or pain reducing drugs need to be excluded.

I think there are more injuries because they are too heavily padded. If you can deliver a blow without feeling it, then you are going to hit full speed. If you have less padding, then you have to be more thoughtful to your health. Shoulder pads and a helmet only.

Also, performance enhancing or pain reducing drugs need to be excluded.

They are too heavily drugged

It's all about the money. They will squeeze these players for every game they can get out of them.

Plus, it's important to keep the American people believing that the games are on the up and up.

Americans need to believe that the outcome of each game has not been, for the most part, predetermined. The need to believe that their team has a chance to compete and win each time they go into play. That each season their team has a shot to win it all. If they didn't, Americans wouldn't buy that merchandise, buy those tickets, and watch like they do.

Who cares about the players, they get paid a mint for their services. It's all about the owners and their plans.

When you think about it, it's all a pretty good metaphor for life. lol

I've never seen this many players going on the season ending IR list. I think it's because the NFL plays too many games ... and with every game, more and more talent ends up sitting on the couch instead of staying on the field.

By the end of the regular season NFL teams play 20 games. In college, their roster has over 100 players yet they only play 11-12 games during the regular season and one bowl game if they qualify. The NFL expects a 53 man roster to play 20 games. Is there any wonder that so many are getting so seriously injured. The teams that go to the Super Bowl ends up playing as many as 24 games. Doesn't sound like that many compared to other sports ... but most sports don't have 300 lb men who can run the 40 in 4.7 seconds crashing into each other and bringing each other to the ground.

A possible solution is cut down the pre-season to one game and if they insist on playing 17 weeks, cut the season back to 14 games and 3 byes. Either that or just shorten the season, because this is getting ridiculous.
Do the owners get too muchoney from the networks for something to be done about it? The money from the networks has changed the game for the worse.

Players are too big, too fast and too strong

The game is played at a higher level now and their bodies can't stand up to it

Do the owners get too muchoney from the networks for something to be done about it? The money from the networks has changed the game for the worse.

My first solution wouldn't change the length of the season ... so there would still be games every week for the same number of weeks. The difference would be number of games would be reduced, thus less chance for injury. The money aspect needs to be balanced with the needs of the players.

I think the NFL is simply doing what the networks want. BTW, the networks are run by the same folks that bring us our news. Mainstreamers. Perhaps they want more injuries.

Players are too big, too fast and too strong

The game is played at a higher level now and their bodies can't stand up to it
They should go back to no pads except for head protection like rugby.

Most of them don't wear anything but small shoulder-pads and helmets. They often don't wear hip or leg padding because it slows them down.

I think fewer games would help.

It's all about the money. They will squeeze these players for every game they can get out of them.

Plus, it's important to keep the American people believing that the games are on the up and up.

Americans need to believe that the outcome of each game has not been, for the most part, predetermined. The need to believe that their team has a chance to compete and win each time they go into play. That each season their team has a shot to win it all. If they didn't, Americans wouldn't buy that merchandise, buy those tickets, and watch like they do.

Who cares about the players, they get paid a mint for their services. It's all about the owners and their plans.

Very cynical.

I think there is point-shaving going on. Gambling. Now politics is all ESPN wants to talk about.

Thank God for Fox Sports.

Very cynical.

I think there is point-shaving going on. Gambling. Now politics is all ESPN wants to talk about.

I can't believe you are actually saying, "Thank god for TV." :eek-52:

Corruption is corruption. On the ground, at the game, no matter who covers it. Even if it weren't televised. Being televised, commented on, and spun, just makes it seem legit. There at the game, with the coaches, the managers, and the refs involved, it seems, well, inconceivable sometimes, just outright unbelievable. You really have to LOVE the game to believe that shit year after year, coincidence after coincidence.

No, I'm not cynical, I don't believe the players are in on it beyond doping themselves like animals and taking what ever shit they are dealt.

The year Katrina hit New Orleans, who won the Super Bowl?

The year 911 happened, who won the Super Bowl?

It's all just a show.

What the NFL needs for the American people is the same thing Professional wrestling needed, an Andy Kaufman. Somebody to wake folk up, to get their collective heads out of their asses, and to not be distracted on trivial matters.

Very cynical.

Corruption is corruption. On the ground, at the game, no matter who covers it. Even if it weren't televised. Being televised, commented on, and spun, just makes it seem legit. There at the game, with the coaches, the managers, and the refs involved, it seems, well, inconceivable sometimes, just outright unbelievable. You really have to LOVE the game to believe that shit year after year, coincidence after coincidence.

No, I'm not cynical, I don't believe the players are in on it beyond doping themselves like animals and taking what ever shit they are dealt.

It's all just a show.

What the NFL needs for the American people is the same thing Professional wrestling needed, an Andy Kaufman. Somebody to wake folk up, to get their collective heads out of their asses, and to not be distracted on trivial matters.

Okay. Who runs the media? When they decided to put a particular person in the Whitehouse they had to lie in order to do it. Why should sports be any different, because the same dishonest individuals that brought us Barack Obama broadcasts the NFL.

Very cynical.

It's all just a show.

The year of 9/11 the Baltimore Ravens won the Super Bowl and the year of Katrina the New England Patriots won the Super Bowl.

Very cynical.

It's all just a show.

The year of 9/11 the Baltimore Ravens won the Super Bowl and the year of Katrina the New England Patriots won the Super Bowl.

Don't get technical. He's on a roll. :tinfoil:

• Thanks
Reactions: mdk

I always thought two preseason games would be enough and would do and the NFL obviously doesnt care about players getting hurt the fact they went from 14 to 16 and after all these years of talk of cutting down to two preseason games,they still wont do it.

I think part of the problem is all the focus they've put on head protection. That has likely lead to more players tackling low, going for the legs/knees.

I think many people would be fine with a shortened preseason, but really, the starters don't get that much work in the preseason anyway. Now, the new CBA rules on practices could have something to do with injuries as well.....the players aren't allowed to go full contact that often which might actually lead to more injuries by having them start the season less football-ready.

I agree that it feels like there have been a lot of IRs this year, but I'd like to see stats to find out if that's actually true or not.

Sounds to me like SOMEONE'S team won't be making the playoffs this season...

Just sayin... :lol:

What my Hawks have learned to do is get their injuries over early on in the season so the most important players that are in harms way get to sit out and "recover" for 6-8 weeks then show up all rested and healthy with 4-6 games left in the season. Worked last season... Seems to be working this season.

Very cynical.

It's all just a show.

Nice.

I don't know if you are trying to be snarky, or if I was just really unclear, but I think you know what I meant. What kind of sense would it make to have any connection between a Super Bowl victor BEFORE the event happened? Nobody would care, nor would would create that movie like atmosphere in their lives.

THE POINT, is that lives, my life, your life, EVERYONE'S, is being made into a show when you watch.

Obviously I meant, THE SEASON AFTER those events.

So let's re-examine those statements.

The year Katrina hit New Orleans, who won the Super Bowl the season after?

The year 911 happened, who won the Super Bowl the season after?

For clearly, THIS is what is important.

Very cynical.

It's all just a show.

Ah yes, my apologies. I was incorrect on the Katrina thing. However, I was correct about the Patriots thingy.

They even changed the Super Bowl logo, just so they could make everyone feel like they were living in their own little movie. I think you know what I was talking about, the Season AFTER the event.

And Katrina DID have an affect on the team, just not immediately.
New Orleans Saints success Super Bowl win rode in on Katrina s wake NOLA.com

But if you do some digging, I think you will find if you have an open mind, culturally, there is a connection between how the media and the cultural elites wish you to perceive your world, and how the major sport is manipulated.

"Also, Super Bowl XXXVI in New Orleans was the first Super Bowl to be played after 9/11. Like the first everything after 9/11, there would be extra attention on this one (to the extent any Super Bowl needs, or can bear, any "extra" attention) and it would be infused with patriotic sentiment and imagery. The Super Bowl logo was changed from this to this. The NFL probably wanted at least one of the teams in the game to have some symbolic value, and what better than a team called the "Patriots" to put on sports' biggest stage, for that specific reason?

So, here we have a divisional playoff game between a franchise the NFL deeply despises and a team the NFL really, really wants to have playing in the Super Bowl. The despised team appears to wrap up a victory late in the game by forcing a turnover on what looks like an uncontroversial and not-at-all-unusual play. But the NFL cannot have the despised Raiders advance at the expense of a team called the "Patriots" in this situation.

So someone at the NFL office -- perhaps Commissioner Paul Tagliabue himself -- calls up the officiating booth personally and says, bluntly, "Find a way to give New England the ball back. I don't care how, I don't care why, just find it. Get out the rulebook and find something, anything. Do it. Now."

The booth relays the message to Coleman, who stops the game before the Raiders can run a play. The officials in the booth conduct the video review while one of them searches the rule book and finds the little-known, never-invoked "tuck rule." They confer with the officials on the field and come up with an explanation to match the rule to the video replay. The call is made. And the rest is history."
How s This for a Conspiracy Theory

Very cynical.

It's all just a show.

Nice.

I don't know if you are trying to be snarky, or if I was just really unclear, but I think you know what I meant. What kind of sense would it make to have any connection between a Super Bowl victor BEFORE the event happened? Nobody would care, nor would would create that movie like atmosphere in their lives.

THE POINT, is that lives, my life, your life, EVERYONE'S, is being made into a show when you watch.

Obviously I meant, THE SEASON AFTER those events.

So let's re-examine those statements.

The year Katrina hit New Orleans, who won the Super Bowl the season after?

The year 911 happened, who won the Super Bowl the season after?

For clearly, THIS is what is important.

Very cynical.

It's all just a show.

Ah yes, my apologies. I was incorrect on the Katrina thing. However, I was correct about the Patriots thingy.

They even changed the Super Bowl logo, just so they could make everyone feel like they were living in their own little movie. I think you know what I was talking about, the Season AFTER the event.

And Katrina DID have an affect on the team, just not immediately.
New Orleans Saints success Super Bowl win rode in on Katrina s wake NOLA.com

But if you do some digging, I think you will find if you have an open mind, culturally, there is a connection between how the media and the cultural elites wish you to perceive your world, and how the major sport is manipulated.

"Also, Super Bowl XXXVI in New Orleans was the first Super Bowl to be played after 9/11. Like the first everything after 9/11, there would be extra attention on this one (to the extent any Super Bowl needs, or can bear, any "extra" attention) and it would be infused with patriotic sentiment and imagery. The Super Bowl logo was changed from this to this. The NFL probably wanted at least one of the teams in the game to have some symbolic value, and what better than a team called the "Patriots" to put on sports' biggest stage, for that specific reason?

So, here we have a divisional playoff game between a franchise the NFL deeply despises and a team the NFL really, really wants to have playing in the Super Bowl. The despised team appears to wrap up a victory late in the game by forcing a turnover on what looks like an uncontroversial and not-at-all-unusual play. But the NFL cannot have the despised Raiders advance at the expense of a team called the "Patriots" in this situation.

So someone at the NFL office -- perhaps Commissioner Paul Tagliabue himself -- calls up the officiating booth personally and says, bluntly, "Find a way to give New England the ball back. I don't care how, I don't care why, just find it. Get out the rulebook and find something, anything. Do it. Now."

The booth relays the message to Coleman, who stops the game before the Raiders can run a play. The officials in the booth conduct the video review while one of them searches the rule book and finds the little-known, never-invoked "tuck rule." They confer with the officials on the field and come up with an explanation to match the rule to the video replay. The call is made. And the rest is history."
How s This for a Conspiracy Theory
amazing how a thread about sports injurys became a conspiracy topic.lol well since we are talking this,I feel certain superbowls have been thrown before.The Raiders you mention being one of them. one of the offensive lineman left the team just a few days before the game.

I guarantee Gruden paid him off.even the players were quouted saying the bucs knew every play they were running and remarked it was like they were in the huddle with them.

Tim Brown had his suspecians as well.

Tim Brown suggests 8220 sabotage 8221 by Bill Callahan in Super Bowl XXXVII ProFootballTalk

way to coincidental.

then there is the steelers/cowboys game. both times O'donnel threw two interceptions that were thrown to the same person that set up touchdowns and both times there was not a steeler player 20 feet within where he threw it.that could happen once,but NOT twice.way too coincidental.

then o donnel leaves the next year to play for the jets who were the crappiest team in the NFL.why leave a superbowl team to go play for the worst team in the league? He obviously did not care about winning or he would have stayed.

He was in it only for the money. the fact he did not care about winning and only played it for the money,its way too coincidental that that happened. also people wonder how you could keep a secret.If its just the quarterback who gets paid off you can easily keep it a secret.

as far as what you mentioned about that bullshit tuck rule they came up with so the raiders would lose that playoff game?

yes that was easily by far the worst call in a football game in NFL history no doubt but I chalk that one up to because it was in new england and the officials were just afraid they would not get out of the stadium alive if they made the correct call that it was a fumble.

Had that game been played in oakland,no way in hell do they not make the correct call that it was a fumble.anyone who thinks otherwise that they would have came up with that bullshit tuckrule call in oakland,is obviously a raider hater.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back