NFL Bullying Charge

jwoodie

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2012
However this story eventually unravels, it seems like the alleged use of the "N" word is the least of the alleged transgressions. However, it is the most prominently featured aspect in our press coverage. Isn't it time to move on to bigger issues? :confused:

If the guy wasn't white the MSM would not care. For the MSM to label this with the "bully" concept is so gay of them. Forcing a rookie to pay for a $15,000 dinner? The rookie probably had a great time and that amount is nothing relative to what they make in salary.

According to a statement from the team, “We believe in maintaining a culture of respect for one another, and as a result we believe this is in the best interests of the organization at this time.”
One young defensive player, whose privacy the Miami Herald is protecting, is on his way to going broke because he has been unable to say no to the older players, a source said.
“Everything tastes better when rookies pay for it,” veteran defensive end Jared Odrick wrote on Twitter over the weekend. “Yes, the bill would make you sick.”
Younger players were handed the tab for a $30,000 team dinner, according to a source. The rookie minimum salary this year is about $400,000.

Read more here: Sources: Miami Dolphins rookies pushed to pay up - Miami Dolphins - MiamiHerald.com

This is not about race. This is about bullying rookie players - are there black members on that team dining at the rookies expense? You bet there is. This is wrong. Very wrong. I hope this story is enough to put the brakes on the NFL and these type abuses of their employees. A new employee has the same rights to workplace laws as an old employee has. Harrassment in the work place is against the law. It is creating a hostile work environment and those involved should be prosecuted for it.

What would have happened if the rookies didn't pay the tab?

Nothing.

I'm sick of hearing 300 lb grown men whining like 40 lb 5 year olds.

Nothing.

Sounds like you never ever played sports in your life beyond Jr High.

So you're actually comparing little league to pro football?

I'm not a 300 lb football player and no one could "bully" me into paying their tab.

Nothing.

I'm not a 300 lb football player and no one could "bully" me into paying their tab.

You cant say what you would do until you were in the situation. Its a different world in high level sports.

Some rookie hazing is perfectly fine in my opinion but should be limited to the rather benign stuff like making them carry vets equipment to/from practice field, get 'em water, get duct taped and covered with shaving cream, etc. But it should be hands off of a person's money for meals and other things. No pressure, subtle or otherwise, should be tolerated in trying to get into their wallets.

With incidents like this, how does a team ever get to behave as a team? I am not a team player and the first one to say so, but doesn't being on a team mean you rely on one another? If you ran up a $15,000 tab and handed it to someone else to pay wouldn't you suspect, a teensy bit, that the person you stuck with the bill might not be on your side so much? This kind of behavior comes closer to creating enmity and animosity, a desire for revenge rather than some kind of team spirit.

I talked to someone that told me Incognito was more "hood" than Martin and the Black people on the team had no problem with him using the n word. This generation makes me shake my head. Since Martin had led a sheltered life he was viewed as soft by the entire team including the coaches and GM. I smell multiple lawsuits paying Martin big money especially if he never plays again.

Last edited:

You cant say what you would do until you were in the situation. Its a different world in high level sports.

Amen. Many people regard professional contact sports as a world of nothing but glory and rewards and just "playing games for money".

That is a far cry from the truth. The level of pressure to perform in a statistics driven environment where you are only as good as your last day on the field, the extent that it is accepted to go to in order to win, and the physical and mental toll make it a high risk business with many casualties.

If you have not seen it, check out the documentary "League of Denial".

league of denial - Google Search

With incidents like this, how does a team ever get to behave as a team?

The whole point of stuff like this is to inculcate a sense of team, and to bring a new guy into the fold in a manner according with the unique culture in question. However, as we can see, this sort of thing can go way too far way too easily.

With incidents like this, how does a team ever get to behave as a team?

The whole point of stuff like this is to inculcate a sense of team, and to bring a new guy into the fold in a manner according with the unique culture in question. However, as we can see, this sort of thing can go way too far way too easily.

It most certainly can. A good friend of mine from high school that pledged into the same college fraternity with me, committed suicide over a hazing incident many years ago that he was humiliated over.

The fact is that what is often seen as building a sense of camaraderie to some can break other people.

There are some who cannot just say "it will be my turn next year"

Is it true that when Martin paid those enormous restaurant tabs he never left a tip?

However this story eventually unravels, it seems like the alleged use of the "N" word is the least of the alleged transgressions. However, it is the most prominently featured aspect in our press coverage. Isn't it time to move on to bigger issues? :confused:

It is fine for Incognito to use the word because he is "honorary" black, and Martin isn't a real black.

It's not really different other than they are all overpaid.

Seems to me that none of those apes have ever matured beyond 15 years old.

Forum List

Back