Newsweek- Bachmann cover....for god sakes.

It just goes to prove liberals are terrified of a conservative woman. First it was Palin, now its Bachmann.

Libs have to count on certain votes like blacks and woman, or they lose in a landslide.

Gals like Palin and Bachmann take that away, so they must be destroyed at all costs.

Remember back when libs cried "republicans hate Hillary only because she is a woman"?
Wonder where all those libs are now that the Dems constantly attack these women?

The women voters I know don't detest Palin and Bachmann for their looks (as they are all 20 and 30 something women who aren't terribly threatened by the perimenopausal). They detest them for their view points which they, as young professionals, find to be absurd and insulting.

If you guys insist that the popularity of candidates like Palin and Bachmann is not at all related to superficial appearances, what harm is there in showing Bachmann without her makeup artist?

boy, ain't that the question? :lol: it really seems like a lot of folks on the right just want their political figures to be hot chicks. i mean, look at fox news. i know all the networks tend to favor comely anchors but fox really goes overboard on the sorority blonde cheerleader thing. it speaks volumes about what they think their conservative audience wants.

anyway, to play devil's advocate (because the cons on this board are too dumb and frothing to even make their own case clearly), the problem some people have with the newsweek cover isn't just that it's a bad picture, but that combined with the "queen of rage" caption, it appears to have been designed deliberately to make her look not just ugly, but unhinged. the type of crazy i'd attribute to michelle bachmann isn't the clinical, schizophrenic kind (and there, you're totally right about "flat affect" etc.), more the colloquial craziness of the fanatical, angry zealot. and there, to me, i think you CAN make a case the newsweek cover is a bit of a hit job. course, the fact that bachmann IS a fanatical, angry zealot made newsweek's job quite a bit easier, but at the same time, if they have an ombudsman of some kind, s/he was sleeping on the job last week.

Last edited:
Newsweek?

They send me the crap for free

and it goes right into the paper and plastic wheelie bin.

See, i recycle, i love Mother Earth as much as you do.

as opposed to what?

As opposed to everyone else I suppose. I am just talking about the crowd I hang out with. It's anecdotal.

ok. so what do they you find absurd and insulting?

As far as policy, I think the abortion issue would be the primary one. Most of the young women I know wouldn't get an abortion, but they don't think the government has the right to tell a woman they can't get an abortion.

As for the esoteric (and this seems to be a factor more than anything else), they are annoyed at the stupid things that Palin and Bachmann say (Palin more so than Bachmann who is still somewhat unknown) and think they fulfill the "ditzy woman" stereotype.

If you guys insist that the popularity of candidates like Palin and Bachmann is not at all related to superficial appearances, what harm is there in showing Bachmann without her makeup artist?

boy, ain't that the question? :lol: it really seems like a lot of folks on the right just want their political figures to be hot chicks. i mean, look at fox news. i know all the networks tend to favor comely anchors but fox really goes overboard on the sorority blonde cheerleader thing. it speaks volumes about what they think their conservative audience wants.

anyway, to play devil's advocate (because the cons on this board are too dumb and frothing to even make their own case clearly), the problem some people have with the newsweek cover isn't just that it's a bad picture, but that combined with the "queen of rage" caption, it appears to have been designed deliberately to make her look not just ugly, but unhinged. the type of crazy i'd attribute to michelle bachmann isn't the clinical, schizophrenic kind (and there, you're totally right about "flat affect" etc.), more the colloquial craziness of the fanatical, angry zealot. and there, to me, i think you CAN make a case the newsweek cover is a bit of a hit job. course, the fact that bachmann IS a fanatical, angry zealot made newsweek's job quite a bit easier, but at the same time, if they have an ombudsman of some kind, s/he was sleeping on the job last week.

Cartoon-Fox-News-Blonde.gif

Last edited:

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to highway234 again.

Considering that the "Tea Party" was supposedly anti-incumbent and Washington policies, I am baffled at how Bachman got away with turning herself into a "Tea Party Candidate" and heading up the Tea Party Caucus.

As opposed to everyone else I suppose. I am just talking about the crowd I hang out with. It's anecdotal.

As far as policy, I think the abortion issue would be the primary one. Most of the young women I know wouldn't get an abortion, but they don't think the government has the right to tell a woman they can't get an abortion.

As for the esoteric (and this seems to be a factor more than anything else), they are annoyed at the stupid things that Palin and Bachmann say (Palin more so than Bachmann who is still somewhat unknown) and think they fulfill the "ditzy woman" stereotype.

hummm, so that would preclude any chance of their voting for them? say bachmann ( palin won't run)

Considering that the "Tea Party" was supposedly anti-incumbent and Washington policies, I am baffled at how Bachman got away with turning herself into a "Tea Party Candidate" and heading up the Tea Party Caucus.

to their credit (i suppose), a lot of the tea partiers say michelle bachmann is a sellout. there do seem to be two tea parties, the ron paulers and the bachmann/palin camp. bachmann and palin just ooze PR firm and big money. paul, not so much. i usually get along ok with the less rabid ron paul supporters, they go into looney-land rather a lot but at least they seem sincere in their looniness. michelle bachmann just seems incredibly phony and i think palin is running an out-and-out scam for cash. i DO think bachmann's religious fundamentalism is sincere but past that, she seems like an empty vessel. look DEEP into those eyes, lol.

hummm, so that would preclude any chance of their voting for them? say bachmann ( palin won't run)

I would assume so.

Keep in mind, I was responding to the absurd claim that liberal women hate conservative women due to their looks.

As I said, it's not their looks. It's their views.

to their credit (i suppose), a lot of the tea partiers say michelle bachmann is a sellout. there do seem to be two tea parties, the ron paulers and the bachmann/palin camp. bachmann and palin just ooze PR firm and big money. paul, not so much. i usually get along ok with the less rabid ron paul supporters, they go into looney-land rather a lot but at least they seem sincere in their looniness. michelle bachmann just seems incredibly phony and i think palin is running an out-and-out scam for cash. i DO think bachmann's religious fundamentalism is sincere but past that, she seems like an empty vessel. look DEEP into those eyes, lol.

I'd like to see that. I am not a fan of the TP movement (never claimed to be), but I find it distasteful that an establishment politician like Bachmann could co-opt a grassroots movement for their own purposes.

I have repeatedly read in various sources that she helped found the Tea Party Caucus. Must dig deeper.

I would assume so.

Keep in mind, I was responding to the absurd claim that liberal women hate conservative women due to their looks.

well, also, don't conservative women sorta HAVE to be good-looking? if there's been a moderately unattractive conservative woman since maggie thatcher who ever got any popular traction, i can't think of her offhand. instead we get megyn kelly, michelle malkin, michelle bachmann, sarah palin, gretchen carlson (who looks like some kind of small woodland creature to me, but i'm told other people like her), etc., etc. meghan mccain gets the closest to being outside the conventional "babe" female look by being a tiny bit chunky. and of course, she catches hell for it constantly on the right.

I would assume so.

yes I understand that, I am just trying to understand how views which I think as any reasonable person knows in practical terms as rubber meets the road get watered down, torn part reassembled softened etc. before or IF they actually even become law automatically counts someone out....

I would assume so.

well, also, don't conservative women sorta HAVE to be good-looking? if there's been a moderately unattractive conservative woman since maggie thatcher who ever got any popular traction, i can't think of her offhand. instead we get megyn kelly, michelle malkin, michelle bachmann, sarah palin, gretchen carlson (who looks like some kind of small woodland creature to me, but i'm told other people like her), etc., etc. meghan mccain gets the closest to being outside the conventional "babe" female look by being a tiny bit chunky. and of course, she catches hell for it constantly on the right.

I can think of a dozen, in 20 seconds, and what does TV talking heads have to do with this?......soooo.....Meghan McCain is a political grifter.

on that note exit question- why was katie couric hired?

Forum List

Back