Newly released court documents cast doubt on Gingrich version of first divorce

Add in her lawyer may have wanted to run the tab up with increased hours. That is the # 1 reason for any challenges to the marriage is broken claim.
Was there any doubt this marriage was "irretrievably broken"???
Damn, that one was A NO BRAINER.

You are claiming the number one reason that marriages aren't resolved quickly is because lawyers advise their clients to be contentious so they can bill them more?

Aside from ethics violations on a large scale;

Does that really make any sense to you?

Last edited:
Add in her lawyer may have wanted to run the tab up with increased hours. That is the # 1 reason for any challenges to the marriage is broken claim.

You are claiming the number one reason that marriages aren't resolved quickly is because lawyers advise their clients to be contentious so they can bill them more?

Aside from ethics violations on a large scale.

Never said that.
Again, when you see an answer from a defendant that "the marriage is not irretrievably broken" more times than not it is the attorney running the tab.
"Ethics violations"
Other than escrow account violations, which is the #1 by far disbarrment reason, lawyers rarely, if ever, are brought up on "ethics violations".
It is a terrible situation but that is the truth.
Did you know that in most all states billing disputes ARE NOT HANDLED by the state bar?
That is a civil matter and not an ethics matter.

Aside from ethics violations on a large scale.

Never said that.
Again, when you see an answer from a defendant that "the marriage is not irretrievably broken" more times than not it is the attorney running the tab.
"Ethics violations"
Other than escrow account violations, which is the #1 by far disbarrment reason, lawyers rarely, if ever, are brought up on "ethics violations".
It is a terrible situation but that is the truth.
Did you know that in most all states billing disputes ARE NOT HANDLED by the state bar?
That is a civil matter and not an ethics matter.

Comingling funds may be the most popular reason for disbarment, but it's far from the only one. Ethical and competence issues are certainly considered by the bar.

I don't know how Georgia does things, but in Missouri, fees and billing disputes are also investigated.

http://www.mobar.org/uploadedFiles/Home/Publications/Journal/2011/09-10/ocdc-report.pdf

Intentionally stringing out a proceeding purely for the sake of racking up billable hours is unethical and risks disbarment.

http://www.americanbar.org/content/...ng_lawyer/yld_tyl_may10_bill.authcheckdam.pdf

It's the same as fraud.

day-newt-ass.jpg

You could be talking about the Obama...how funny is that
yet you still voted for him..:lol:

Liberals do not list executive/business experience as a requirement. Conservatives do. Just like we don't list family values as a requirement. Conservatives do. Newt fails on both counts.

So we didn't care about that when picking our candidate.

omg^^^^^^^^

but they consider someones DIVORCE papers as MORE IMPORTANT..:lol::lol:
It's not about his personal life, it's about his lying.

Yeah. They weren't sealed. They were hidden.

Nice of those folks down there in Booger, County GA to shove them into a desk drawer for the last two decades.

Wrong, it is common practice all over the country to seal divorce records.
In most instances the wife requests it as they are the ones getting the financial settlement.
Ask any CPA what their advise is on sealed divorce cases.
Get back to us when you have updated your facts.
The Clerk of Superior Court in each county keeps all court documents in Georgia.

Now, perhaps. Not in the late 1970s in modernity-challenged Georgia, which it was, back then.

Interesting contrast between this farce and the Reagan divorce. Jane Wyman was the one who insisted on it, they didn't wage war using the kids, and Jane only talked about him after he was dead and was very polite about it.

No matter how you try and turd polish the events of the Gringrich divorce Newt comes off really badly.

I mean I think the man is brilliant and funny, but this kind of thing demonstrates he has the humanity of a Vogon.

I refused to vote for Dole in primary because I thought the way he treated his first wife was pretty darn cruel as well. And I didn't like the way Elizabeth Dole did things when she ran the FAA.

Wyman had as much to lose in an ugly divorce as he did... but I agree, they were both very classy about it.

My thought is, this was 30 years ago. I wouldn't want to be held to account for some of my jerky behavior from 30 years ago, so I am reluctant to do it to others.

My thought on Newt is that he isn't the best candidate, but he's better than anything else the GOP has to offer and better than Obama.

If my experience is any guide, then that is exactly the case.

Are you really trying to tell us that lawyers have actual ethics?

If my experience is any guide, then that is exactly the case.

Are you really trying to tell us that lawyers have actual ethics?

I agree. Lawyers are often the worst offenders in divorces, especially when there are children or money involved.

If anyone would like to read some very good (older) stories on Gingrich, I highly recommend these:

"Good Newt, Bad Newt" by Peter Boyer. Vanity Fair, July 1989.

"The Inner Quest of Newt Gingrich" by Gail Sheehy. Vanity Fair, September 1995.

Yes, they are a bit long, but worth it. If you care. Most don't. I know.

Maybe a few will.

PBS also has a good treatise on him here:

the long march of newt gingrich

pageface.gif

A Frontline Special you can watch online here: Watch the Full Program Online | The Long March Of Newt Gingrich | FRONTLINE | PBS

Was never really a Newt fan, but I'd vote for him over that liar in the White house.

People who get divorced and their personal lives have no interest for me.

People who are rapists and sexually assaul do.

Also, Obama is an admitted crackhead.

Isn't it wild how one can read an old news story, and with the hindsight of history, come away with a brand new context?
Newt Has Been Brocked, Not Borked

August 17, 1995|By FRANK RICH and The New York Times

So much for Rupert Murdoch's loyalty to Newt Gingrich. When Gail Sheehy's profile of the Speaker surfaced in Vanity Fair this week, no one in American journalism did more to promote it than Murdoch - devoting the front page of The New York Post, where he holds the title editor-in-chief, to the headline "Who's a Newty Boy?" along with the teaser "Aide: He made whoopee on an office desk.

"And Murdoch did this even as Gingrich was touring the country hawking "To Renew America" for his own (as well as Newty Boy's) financial benefit.

In case you missed The Post and haven't yet caught up with Vanity Fair, the passage in Ms. Sheehy's 12,000-word article that most caught Murdoch's expert eye was a brief interlude discussing Gingrich's alleged sex life during his first marriage. How did journalism reach this pass?

pixel.gif

One answer to that question is provided by Joseph Nocera, a liberal journalist, in a forthcoming piece titled "Getting Borked" in the September issue of GQ magazine. Nocera argues that the savage media campaign that defeated Ronald Reagan's nomination of Robert Bork to the Supreme Court in 1987 "marked some kind of turning point in the disintegration of civil discourse in American politics."Using "ugly distortions" of the judge's record, liberal Democrats demonized him as the ideological heir to Simon Legree.

<snip>

So who took Borking to the next plateau of meanness? When did the journalistic pursuit of current political leaders' past sexual history become de rigueur? Any Gingrich fan who reads Vanity Fair in disgust should turn to the January 1994 issue of the conservative monthly, The American Spectator, in which David Brock recounted Bill Clinton's alleged sexual past with anecdotes almost indistinguishable from those Sheehy uses to describe contemporaneous peccadilloes of Gingrich.

Unhappily for the Speaker, Sheehy is a better-known writer than Brock and her piece is appearing in a magazine with four times the Spectator's circulation.

Sheehy's psychobabble aside, she is also a better journalist than Brock - so much so that there was no need for her to sink to his level. Her on-the-record quotes from Gingrich, his family and his close aides are enough in themselves to hang a supposed paragon of family values as an unreligious, undisciplined, draft-ducking opportunist.

And what could be a more devastating judgment on the Speaker than his own wife's statement that he shouldn't be president?

Already the Gingrich camp is dismissing the Vanity Fair piece as tabloid trash, and soon enough it will be decried as another liberal exercise in Borking. But the tabloid that made the article's most salacious paragraphs front-page news is run by the Speaker's own publisher, a true-blue conservative. And the mean form of journalism practiced against Gingrich is not the nasty liberal vice known as Borking but its even nastier right-wing mutant. Newt wasn't Borked - he was Brocked."

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/1995-08-17/news/9508160294_1_borking-ms-sheehy-vanity

Forum List

Back