Newdow Loses Again!

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060613...cZadk3QF;_ylu=X3oDMTA5aHJvMDdwBHNlYwN5bmNhdA—
U.S. court tosses lawsuit over "In God We Trust"

Mon Jun 12, 8:23 PM ET

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - A U.S. district court judge on Monday dismissed a lawsuit brought by a California atheist against the U.S. government for its use of the phrase "In God We Trust" on its coins and currency.

Michael Newdow, the Sacramento, California lawyer and doctor who had previously launched a court challenge on behalf of his daughter over the phrase "under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance said in schools, had argued that "In God We Trust" on monetary instruments violates his rights.

Newdow claimed that by using coins and currency bearing the phrase, he is forced to carry religious dogma, proselytise and evangelise for monotheism.

Judge Frank Damrell of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California held in his opinion that "In God We Trust" is secular in nature and use, and its appearance on coins and currency does not show government coercion on behalf of monotheism.

Newdow told Reuters he would appeal to the San Francisco-based U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals, which ruled in his favour in his "under God" lawsuit, a decision later overruled by the U.S. Supreme Court, which found Newdow could sue not on behalf of his daughter because he lacked custody.

"The case is really straightforward. The history is overwhelmingly on my side," Newdow said.

How can saying "In God We Trust" be secular? That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard! "In God We Trust" is a direct endorsement of monotheism. Of course it's an official endorsement of religion. Of course, Newdow isn't the first person to try and end this practice, a Republican by the name of Theodore Roosevelt tried to get this phrase removed from money while he was president because he considered it a violation of the Constutition but more importantly he thought it sacriligious.

acludem

acludem said:
How can saying "In God We Trust" be secular? That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard! "In God We Trust" is a direct endorsement of monotheism. Of course it's an official endorsement of religion. Of course, Newdow isn't the first person to try and end this practice, a Republican by the name of Theodore Roosevelt tried to get this phrase removed from money while he was president because he considered it a violation of the Constutition but more importantly he thought it sacriligious.

acludem
The 9th will agree and SCOTUS will reverse.

acludem said:

acludem

Can't your bunch find something important to do. How about protecting landowners from having illegal aliens stomping all over thier property ?

dilloduck said:
Can't your bunch find something important to do. How about protecting landowners from having illegal aliens stomping all over thier property ?
How about protecting landowners from eminent domain? Damn. Never thought the problems of Kelo would happen. Get me a rifle.

Forum List

Back