New study says e-cig vapor contains cancer-causing formaldehyde

DigitalDrifter

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2013
Oregon
Oh shit.
Hopefully no one here uses these things.

E-cigarette vapor filled with cancer-causing chemicals, researchers say

E-cigarette vapor can contain cancer-causing formaldehyde at levels up to 15 times higher than regular cigarettes, a new study finds.

Researchers found that e-cigarettes operated at high voltages produce vapor with large amounts of formaldehyde-containing chemical compounds.

This could pose a risk to users who increase the voltage on their e-cigarette to increase the delivery of vaporized nicotine, said study co-author James Pankow, a professor of chemistry and civil and environmental engineering at Portland State University in Oregon.

"We've found there is a hidden form of formaldehyde in e-cigarette vapor that has not typically been measured. It's a chemical that contains formaldehyde in it, and that formaldehyde can be released after inhalation," Pankow said. "People shouldn't assume these e-cigarettes are completely safe."

Play VIDEO

E-cigarette debate smolders over health claims

The findings appear in a letter published Jan. 22 in the New England Journal of Medicine.

Health experts have long known that formaldehyde and other toxic chemicals are present in cigarette smoke. Initially, e-cigarettes were hoped to be without such dangers because they lack fire to cause combustion and release toxic chemicals, a Portland State news release said.

more: E-cigarette vapor has cancer-causing chemical formaldehyde - CBS News

Seems like people enjoy messing around with those things more than actually quitting smoking.

Oh shit.

E-cigarette vapor can contain cancer-causing formaldehyde at levels up to 15 times higher than regular cigarettes, a new study finds.

Researchers found that e-cigarettes operated at high voltages produce vapor with large amounts of formaldehyde-containing chemical compounds.

This could pose a risk to users who increase the voltage on their e-cigarette to increase the delivery of vaporized nicotine, said study co-author James Pankow, a professor of chemistry and civil and environmental engineering at Portland State University in Oregon.

"We've found there is a hidden form of formaldehyde in e-cigarette vapor that has not typically been measured. It's a chemical that contains formaldehyde in it, and that formaldehyde can be released after inhalation," Pankow said. "People shouldn't assume these e-cigarettes are completely safe."

Play VIDEO

The findings appear in a letter published Jan. 22 in the New England Journal of Medicine.

Health experts have long known that formaldehyde and other toxic chemicals are present in cigarette smoke. Initially, e-cigarettes were hoped to be without such dangers because they lack fire to cause combustion and release toxic chemicals, a Portland State news release said.

How did the FDA miss that one?

I have been using E-cigarettes with great results for many months now.

But I do not use nicotine in my E -cigarette, only the juice, so this does not apply. :)

"This could pose a risk to users who increase the voltage on their e-cigarette to increase the delivery of vaporized nicotine".

No nicotine for moi!

I have been using E-cigarettes with great results for many months now.

But I do not use nicotine in my E -cigarette, only the juice, so this does not apply. :)

"This could pose a risk to users who increase the voltage on their e-cigarette to increase the delivery of vaporized nicotine".

No nicotine for moi!

I was just listening to one of the researchers on NPR, and he did mention that it's much safer on the low voltage setting.

The only way to truly quit smoking is to QUIT SMOKING. Period. No ecigs, no gum, no patches. Cold turkey and only cold turkey.
Alcoholics don't stop being drunks by sipping just wine or bear instead of whisky or vodka.
When I quit..IF I ever quit...cold turkey. Period.

Oh shit.

Play VIDEO

How did the FDA miss that one?

I don't know, but the researcher that I was listening to did mention that this industry is accelerating at an unbelievable pace, and it's likely there will be many variations in the next couple years.
It does seem though that once formaldehyde is discovered, there will be a rush to ban at least some of these.

The only way to truly quit smoking is to QUIT SMOKING. Period. No ecigs, no gum, no patches. Cold turkey and only cold turkey.
Alcoholics don't stop being drunks by sipping just wine or bear instead of whisky or vodka.

Fascinating, a smoker giving others advice on quitting smoking. I think I'd rather listen to a drunk preach a sermon. :p

Fascinating, a smoker giving others advice on quitting smoking. I think I'd rather listen to a drunk preach a sermon. :p
Amazing, ain't it?

Amazing, ain't it?

I think you forgot to ignore me. :eek:

Amazing, ain't it?

I think you forgot to ignore me. :eek:
I took ya off couple of days ago. I have my snits now and then.

Those same researchers told us about global warming, cigarette smoking causing lung cancer and other figments of their imaginations.

Um, the jury is out concerning cigarette smoking. Actually, the jury is also out with Climate Change.

Wrong on both counts. If the jury were still out on cigarettes and lung cancer they're too damn stupid to figure it out anyway. You see it's been a good 50 years of deliberation (and warnings on cigarette packs) already. And there are way too many people who have died of lung cancer that NEVER touched a cigarette in their entire lives. And too many that have smoked since they were teenagers (some of which lived to be a 100) that NEVER developed lung cancer. That would include me, my parents and all three older siblings, all of who are deceased but not by cancer of the lungs. Emphysema for sure...but NOT cancer.

And human caused global warming is the biggest friggin joke in the history of POLITICS.

Lungs that have emphysema won't get cancer. They are too damn hard.

If you wanna turn your lungs rock hard and suffocate, keep on smoking.

Regards from Rosie

E cigarette juice does not contain formaldehyde. Brazilian blowout hair straightener does but not ejuice. There isn't any warning about hair straightener is there? That's because black women would kick the asses of hair nazis who want to take away their silky Beyoncé hair.

Lungs that have emphysema won't get cancer. They are too damn hard.

If you wanna turn your lungs rock hard and suffocate, keep on smoking.

Regards from Rosie

That's why I gave cigarettes up in November, 2001. But lung cancer, just like most other cancers are caused by person's gene pool/DNA. It runs in the family.

Those same researchers told us about global warming, cigarette smoking causing lung cancer and other figments of their imaginations.

Um, the jury is out concerning cigarette smoking. Actually, the jury is also out with Climate Change.

Wrong on both counts. If the jury were still out on cigarettes and lung cancer they're too damn stupid to figure it out anyway. You see it's been a good 50 years of deliberation (and warnings on cigarette packs) already. And there are way too many people who have died of lung cancer that NEVER touched a cigarette in their entire lives. And too many that have smoked since they were teenagers (some of which lived to be a 100) that NEVER developed lung cancer. That would include me, my parents and all three older siblings, all of who are deceased but not by cancer of the lungs. Emphysema for sure...but NOT cancer.

And human caused global warming is the biggest friggin joke in the history of POLITICS.

WARNING: This poster is not a scientist or a doctor!

Forum List

Back