New Satellite Messaging Device For Cell Phones.

Ringel05

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2009
Duke City
In an area with no wi-fi or cellular service? This would be a great aide for people who enjoy the way out of doors especially with the SOS button. The device plus one year of 30 messages costs $150. It's about the size of a credit card.
motorola-defy-satellite-link-1.jpg

Motorola's handy Bluetooth device adds satellite messaging to your iPhone or Android smartphone

Pretty cool!
I look at it as a potential back up emergency device. Even in urban and suburban areas where if some potential disaster knocks out wi-fi and cell service there is still an option if one needs help.

Looks like a cool device, and could actually be lifesaving in some circumstances.
However:
The cell companies could improve their service so it actually became "coast to coast" as advertised.

I look at it as a potential back up emergency device. Even in urban and suburban areas where if some potential disaster knocks out wi-fi and cell service there is still an option if one needs help.
I have done back country hiking, canoeing and kayaking, where there is no cell service. Sht can happen. One more lightweight tool to pitch into the pack for emergency comm, might be worth the $150. I have carried radio, but it does no good whatsoever if down in a canyon or more than about 13 miles from a ranger station or major highway.

I have done back country hiking, canoeing and kayaking, where there is no cell service. Sht can happen. One more lightweight tool to pitch into the pack for emergency comm, might be worth the $150. I have carried radio, but it does no good whatsoever if down in a canyon or more than about 13 miles from a ranger station or major highway.
The only drawback that someone (on another forum) pointed out is the messaging aspect, it only sends messages to others with the same in app service. Personally I would not be sending messages but others might need to, re EMS, rescue and police.
Oh and apparently the 30 messages is per month and after the first year the message service is only $5 per month.

The only drawback that someone (on another forum) pointed out is the messaging aspect, it only sends messages to others with the same in app service. Personally I would not be sending messages but others might need to, re EMS, rescue and police.
Oh and apparently the 30 messages is per month and after the first year the message service is only $5 per month.
You have a lot of back country to your northeast, where normally you would never imagine in those mountainous areas, there would be cell service, and not so surprising, areas where you come across 10ft fence with triple strand barbwire, not marked on a topo map or showing stuctures, where armed people can just show up out of nowhere, to ask what you are doing there, whether you have used your cellphone or not.

Forum List

Back