New Mexico is first state to ban "school lunch shaming".

More welfare for black and illegal alien kids. The parents won't feed their kids because they'd rather spend the moneyt on drugs and booze.
'Lunch shaming' to end as New Mexico signs law banning the humiliation of poor students
april 10 2017 New Mexico has become the first state in the US to ban “lunch shaming” – the practice of making children whose parents cannot afford school meals mop the floors or wear wristbands.
The law was brought by a group of campaigners and politicians including Michael Padilla, a state senator who grew up in a series of foster homes and was humiliated by his inability to pay for lunch.
That was a SICK policy to begin with. Good Godl what is wrong with those people? I wouldn't want to send my kids to school with administrators that had that attitude. So many of the students around here are eligible for free or reduced lunch that some schools have found it cheaper to make it free to all students. Less time tracking who owes what and doing all the paperwork involved.

Actually I think it's a good idea in the long term to have kidos do "work" for their "free" stuff. Instill some sense of responsibility since their parents are unable for whatever reason. That actually used to be a thing in schools, but they stopped doing it - and frankly from the results I've seen it wasn't a "helpful" thing to get rid of.

Up until my teens, I did chores to earn my allowance. As far back as I can remember honestly. I recall shoveling the deck because I wanted something... can't remember what, but the shovel was bigger than I was and I struggled, for days it seems to my memory, to get the [relatively small] deck done. Also, not the same incident, but I washed the car in order to get an album and I was so damn proud of myself when I got it done, that sense of accomplishment is very much something that I sought out in other tasks throughout my life. Considering that "yay" I get completing a job or a task is one of the main reasons I'm a work-a-holic, I'd say it contributed to my financial well being.

Working for something isn't 'cruel' treatment folks, it's the reality of life, something we all have to go through - starting it in school doing 'fluff' jobs isn't a bad thing. Kids do it anyway. You think those kids who stay after class to help clean up are doing it because they enjoy cleaning or do you think they stay after because they want something... to please their teacher (making someone else happy is a 'pay' of a sort as well,) to get closer to someone in class they like (similar,) even to improve their grade (probably not going to happen, but the child might think it.)

Just my 2 cents.

Actually I think it's a good idea in the long term to have kidos do "work" for their "free" stuff. Instill some sense of responsibility since their parents are unable for whatever reason. That actually used to be a thing in schools, but they stopped doing it - and frankly from the results I've seen it wasn't a "helpful" thing to get rid of.

Up until my teens, I did chores to earn my allowance. As far back as I can remember honestly. I recall shoveling the deck because I wanted something... can't remember what, but the shovel was bigger than I was and I struggled, for days it seems to my memory, to get the [relatively small] deck done. Also, not the same incident, but I washed the car in order to get an album and I was so damn proud of myself when I got it done, that sense of accomplishment is very much something that I sought out in other tasks throughout my life. Considering that "yay" I get completing a job or a task is one of the main reasons I'm a work-a-holic, I'd say it contributed to my financial well being.

Working for something isn't 'cruel' treatment folks, it's the reality of life, something we all have to go through - starting it in school doing 'fluff' jobs isn't a bad thing. Kids do it anyway. You think those kids who stay after class to help clean up are doing it because they enjoy cleaning or do you think they stay after because they want something... to please their teacher (making someone else happy is a 'pay' of a sort as well,) to get closer to someone in class they like (similar,) even to improve their grade (probably not going to happen, but the child might think it.)

Just my 2 cents.

How do you know their parents have no responsibility rather than are struggling to get by?
Why embarrass a child because their parent can't afford to pay for lunch?
Will the child at that school be lauded by other students for having a strong work ethic or mocked for being too poor to payfor lunch?

Just my 2 cents.

How do you know their parents have no responsibility rather than are struggling to get by?
Why embarrass a child because their parent can't afford to pay for lunch?
Will the child at that school be lauded by other students for having a strong work ethic or mocked for being too poor to payfor lunch?
and kids can be fucking cruel to to the other kids who are "different".....

I have no idea why the parents can't pay for their kids lunch, but it really doesn't matter. I'm talking about teaching kids, in school (how novel,) the things they need to know to be successful in life. Which includes how to get out of hardship.

It's true, kids are fucking cruel to each other, that has nothing to do with the kids parents being broke, it has to do with kids are assholes. If it wasn't "dumbo has to work for his lunch" it'd be something else like "dumbo once wore purple socks." Learning to deal with assholes is also a good trait to have. I'd be curious to see a poll of users here on that note - how many were school bullies who made fun of other kids, and what state is your life in today? Did you learn not to bully, or is it only the bullied who learn the lesson of empathy and compassion from such treatment?

I have no idea why the parents can't pay for their kids lunch, but it really doesn't matter. I'm talking about teaching kids, in school (how novel,) the things they need to know to be successful in life. Which includes how to get out of hardship.

It's true, kids are fucking cruel to each other, that has nothing to do with the kids parents being broke, it has to do with kids are assholes. If it wasn't "dumbo has to work for his lunch" it'd be something else like "dumbo once wore purple socks." Learning to deal with assholes is also a good trait to have. I'd be curious to see a poll of users here on that note - how many were school bullies who made fun of other kids, and what state is your life in today? Did you learn not to bully, or is it only the bullied who learn the lesson of empathy and compassion from such treatment?
If you want to teach those kids responsibility, why don't you pay them $8 an hour to sweep your floors? Just like any other human being

Then they can buy their own lunch and have money left over

Considering I'm paid $5 a day for my sons lunches (at my last recollection anyway, I'd typically just send a check for $100 whenever they'd run out) and I doubt any kid would be sweeping anything for a full hour, it's actually a decent "wage" if one wants to consider it as such.

The point isn't the pay rate though, it's about the kido learning that they have to work for stuff they need (or even want.) Instilling an outlook that will serve them well in their adult life. That used to be the main focus of schooling. Now they don't even teach kids to balance their damn bank accounts, it's really not a step in the right direction.

Hell even wealthy/good parents forget shit ya know... I failed to teach my son how to send letters, got sucked up in the email and everything else and it just never occurred to me - he needed to mail in government paperwork and I was hounding him to get it done, finally he admitted to me that he had no idea how to do it. I felt terrible, because that was /my/ fault he didn't know how and I was harping on him over it :/

Government programs beget government programs.

The more handouts you provide, the more handouts they'll want.

Everyone wants the government to be their mother.

Jesus fucking Christ. They're just kids. When did we start visiting the sins of the parents on their children?

Some of you folks are real assholes...

They're kids...

Man, some of y'all are some heartless motherfuckers.
I suggest you agree to pay for all meals by kids not supported by their families in your school district. Why should I have to pay through taxes for it?

Kids don't do too well in school on empty stomachs. Maybe the parents are bums, maybe they're honestly poor, doesn't matter. No kid should go hungry in school in this country. We can afford to feed them even if we pay a little more in taxes.

More welfare for black and illegal alien kids. The parents won't feed their kids because they'd rather spend the moneyt on drugs and booze.
'Lunch shaming' to end as New Mexico signs law banning the humiliation of poor students
april 10 2017 New Mexico has become the first state in the US to ban “lunch shaming” – the practice of making children whose parents cannot afford school meals mop the floors or wear wristbands.
The law was brought by a group of campaigners and politicians including Michael Padilla, a state senator who grew up in a series of foster homes and was humiliated by his inability to pay for lunch.

A lot of white kids are on these programs...We're a civilization not a bunch of fucking hunter gathers...

Feed the kids.

That was a SICK policy to begin with. Good Godl what is wrong with those people? I wouldn't want to send my kids to school with administrators that had that attitude. So many of the students around here are eligible for free or reduced lunch that some schools have found it cheaper to make it free to all students. Less time tracking who owes what and doing all the paperwork involved.

If we want to be fair and save money too, then lets just eliminate school meals. Tell the damn kids to bring a sack lunch like i did 8000 years ago.

Jesus fucking Christ. They're just kids. When did we start visiting the sins of the parents on their children?

Well hell then ... let's force the taxpayers to also give the kids free bikes and cell phones.!!! Where will these handouts end?

THINK, white-hater.

A lot of white kids are on these programs...We're a civilization not a bunch of fucking hunter gathers...

Feed the kids.

BS - 90% of the " white" kids getting free food are actually hispanic. Very common liberal trick.

If we want to be fair and save money too, then lets just eliminate school meals. Tell the damn kids to bring a sack lunch like i did 8000 years ago.
PB&J, an apple, maybe a bag of chips or crackers. Milk was purchased at the school cafeteria. Said cafeteria provided hot meals for those who desired those instead of bag lunches, for a very inexpensive fee, too. Funny, we managed to survive bag lunches, to thrive and mature into adulthood without the government dictating to our parents what they packed for us to eat. And childhood obesity was rare, most likely due to the fact that we played outside, ran, jumped, climbed, and did odd jobs to earn extra pocket money.

Forum List

Back