New KA-Bar Shorty.

Ringel05

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2009
Duke City
Just arrived today, the little brother of the classic KA-Bar fighting knife.

K_Bar Shorty.jpg

Looks like they held true to the styling. I tried to ship my full sized Kabar back from Vietnam, but it got confiscated. I still have my grandfather's from WWII though.
This one's only 9 1/4" long with a 5 1/4" blade and it's light. I was actually expecting more heft to it but this one could wear all day and forget it's there.
KA-Bar has a huge line of knives now of all sorts. They even have the traditional look handle with a tanto blade instead of a clip-point.

View attachment 593182

Dammit man! You made me dig out my Air Force survival knife, but it was an Ontario, not Ka-Bar.

ontario1.jpg

You can make knives more useful as a tool by grinding down the top part of the bolster where your thumb rests. That gives you more control over the blade and more force for chopping, without that top part getting in the way of your thumb. Also putting a 25-30 degree angle on the edge of the blade. I've been too lazy to re-edge the blade on mine.

ontario2.jpg

Dammit man! You made me dig out my Air Force survival knife, but it was an Ontario, not Ka-Bar.

View attachment 593217

You can make knives more useful as a tool by grinding down the top part of the bolster where your thumb rests. That gives you more control over the blade and more force for chopping, without that top part getting in the way of your thumb. Also putting a 25-30 degree angle on the edge of the blade. I've been too lazy to re-edge the blade on mine.

View attachment 593220
Nothing wrong with Ontario knives. :thup:

I have this old Ranger knife I bought eons ago, it's a Chinese copy, bought it back when I didn't know any better. Still it's sharp as a razor but only has the single paracord wrap around the flat, full tang.

View attachment 593230
Looks like something you could stuff in your boot. You need a flat handle to do that comfortably.

This is my EDC (pocket) knife.

Gordon Pocket Knife.jpg

Great knife for a cheap Gordon I bought at Harbor Freight. I did add the TALON grip material to it, handle was pretty slick.

View attachment 593182
Nice. KA-BAR is my favorite all-purpose fighting knife. I was at the gun show, here this weekend. Standard KA-BARs were going for $95.00. I have never seen them that high before. I remember buying them for $45.
That is a nice one. Is it smaller than a standard size?

Forum List

Back