“New” Discovery in Skin Cancer?

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by longknife, Mar 31, 2014.

1. longknife

longknife Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,566
    Excuse me. Being fair-skinned and freckled, I am a perfect case of someone subject to skin cancer. Growing up in Southern California trying to be dark-skinned by all the Mexicans living around me, what a surprise that I've had basal and squamish skin cancers too numerous to count.

Now, BBC reports on this great new discovering dealing with gene mutations? Why does this not thrill me? And, all it will prove is that people will smaller amounts of Melatonin should cover up and keep out of the sun. Anyhow, read the article @ BBC News - Skin cancer: Genetic mutations 'warn of risk'

p.s., I was in my early thirties when a highly respected dermatologist told me I would have lots of skin cancers in my '50s. He was right. Best of all, he told me what to look for to reduce the chances of having deadly melanoma. :eusa_whistle:

2. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +51,982
    i just go in every 6 months and do the full body check....and stay out of the sun.....always wear a hat etc....hell i could wear a burka ...no problem

3. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,206
    3-D printing for skin grafting may someday be possible...
    [​IMG]
    Machine May Someday Print Replacement Human Skin
    January 25, 2017 | 3-D printers have moved from plastic to metal, and now to human tissue.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,206
    Breakthrough study ‘grows’ skin from tissue to heal wounds by gene injection...
    [​IMG]
    Breakthrough study ‘grows’ skin from tissue to heal wounds by gene injection

Fri, Sep 07, 2018 - In a world first, researchers have transformed tissue cells into skin cells to help heal serious wounds, a technique that could revolutionize care for victims of burns and other severe injuries.