Never attempt

how much is nominal to you?

To me, $40.00 - $50.00 to sedate a dog to be able to properly trim the nails is a nominal fee. That is with an injection, whether IM, SQ, or IV. If you go that route, the nails can be trimmed very short the first time, and then it is concrete walks etc to help keep the nails trimmed back naturally.

If she talks with her vet, they might give her Acepromazine tablets. Taking 1 or 1.5 tablets of that would not completely sedate the dog, but it would take the edge off enough to allow for a nail trim, in my opinion. With tablets, the charge can be as little as $12.00. She could put the tablet(s) in a small ball of cheese or peanut butter 1 hr before going to the vet. Once at the vet, they should be able to safely trim the nails without trauma to the dog or the people trying to trim the nails.

Each practice has different prices and requirements for sedation. If the dog is healthy, it shouldn't be an issue.

Strollin

#1 He was not just WHINING. I guess you didn't take time to read what I posted at all before you chose to jump down my throat huh? I made it very clear he was loud enough I heard him in the waiting room. Hell, even the Vet thought it was to stressful on him to continue.

#2 If you think that NOT wanting your dog unnecessarily traumatized for whatever reason is over protective that is your problem. I pity your dogs if you have any though.

#3 AGAIN you must not have read a damn thing I posted. I made it very clear I've been working with him to get him comfortable with me messing with his toes. I also made it very clear that when we got him he had been seriously abused and that it is my thoughts that maybe his feet were somehow involved in that abuse and that could be why he is so fearful of anyone messing with them.

#4 I really don't care what the freakin cost is to make sure my dogs and cats are well taken care of. Maybe YOU do but it's not a factor here. They deserve the best care I can give them, cost be damned.

#5 Maybe you see nothing wrong with traumatizing an animal to achieve an end but I do. Whining because they aren't getting their way is one thing, but sitting and listening to your dog literally screaming in terror is quite another. I guess you're one of those people that you always hear make statements like "well it's just a dog".

Maybe before you go making rash judgements and crawling down someone's throat you should actually read and comprehend what they've posted.

okay stop ..you are reinforcing his behavior not helping it...

remember...each time you interact with a dog...one of you is learning...try to make the learning one the dog.....

She is right, its a pack mentality.

The moment you let the dog get away with bad behavior, or worse encourage that behavior, is the moment you lose control of that type of situation.

to take a 97lb dog, a 68lb dog, and two cats to the vet at the same time!!! What a fun time was had by all. The cats weren't such a problem as they were confined in a carrier. You ever try to manhandle 165lbs of dog(s) in a room full of new smells, new people to lick, and other dogs?

Now, the pressing question is.....my big dawg needs his claws clipped. He has an aversion to ANYONE, including myself, who he pretty much allows to do anything to him, except his claws, messing with his feet. I don't know if he's had someone hurt him before or what. I told the Vet that he would probably have to be muzzled for a stranger to be able to do it. Needless to say, after listening to him cry for 10 minutes like they were killing him the Vet stopped trying. Told me that he would have to sedate him to be able to get it done without traumatizing him. Gotta tell you, I was in tears listening to him. This is one of my babies we're talking about!! I was impressed with the fact that the Vet did stop trying and was concerned about how it was affecting him though. My question is, has anyone else experienced this kind of unmitigated terror in their dogs over having their claws clipped? If so, how did you overcome it? The groomer at the Vets office told me to walk him on the road about three times a week to keep them filed down. His claws aren't so long that they cause HIM problems, but they're hell on me! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Most dogs don't like their feet touched. It's one of the most vulnerable parts on them. That's why I always taught my kids not to mess with dogs' feet, ears or put their faces in their face.

Sedation or a muzzle is the key. I give my animals shots myselves, it's easier all around, and much cheaper.

Strolling's advice is the best, but I promise, he's not going to like that, either. You just run a much smaller chance of cracking his nails or clipping them too short.

BGG.....Thank You so much for discussing this with me in a manner NOT making me feel like I'm some idiot that doesn't know enough to deal with my animals. I will take your words under advisement and let you know how it goes. I think we've decided that to get him through this first time that maybe sedation won't be so hard on him. He's a very healthy dog and his heart is sound so that isn't a worry with him being put to sleep.

Terry....I do that kind of thing daily in the hopes that he will come to realize that regardless of what may have happened before that momma isn't going to hurt him. I can be very patient.

For the rest of you that chose to claim it was my allowing him to continue "bad behavior" I'll stress again what I posted several times. This is NOT simply bad behavior. He reacted so strongly that even the VET felt it would be to stressful to continue. It was terror, NOT just not wanting to get his claws clipped. You can tell the difference in a dog that is "whining" and a dog that is yelping in fear. As far as getting a trainer...what good would that do in this situation?

BGG.....Thank You so much for discussing this with me in a manner NOT making me feel like I'm some idiot that doesn't know enough to deal with my animals. I will take your words under advisement and let you know how it goes. I think we've decided that to get him through this first time that maybe sedation won't be so hard on him. He's a very healthy dog and his heart is sound so that isn't a worry with him being put to sleep.

Terry....I do that kind of thing daily in the hopes that he will come to realize that regardless of what may have happened before that momma isn't going to hurt him. I can be very patient.

For the rest of you that chose to claim it was my allowing him to continue "bad behavior" I'll stress again what I posted several times. This is NOT simply bad behavior. He reacted so strongly that even the VET felt it would be to stressful to continue. It was terror, NOT just not wanting to get his claws clipped. You can tell the difference in a dog that is "whining" and a dog that is yelping in fear. As far as getting a trainer...what good would that do in this situation?

I am glad I could be of help dixie. I work in veterinary medicine. I deal with people like yourself every day, who have concerns, anxiety, frustration, and questions. You want the best for your 4 legged family member.

If you have questions about animal health etc, feel free to ask. I will do what I can to help. Good luck on the nail trimming. :)

I didn't say anything about bad behavior????

Was I being referred to? I don't know.

However, my terrier got out yesterday and got her butt handed to her on a platter by another terrier around the corner. She even got all shocky, afterwards. Nice little gash high on her shoulder, but I moved it around and no puncture, I sprayed it with Scarlex and threw her in a well padded crate for a while to decompress and she was back to normal within about an hour.

Wonder if she learned anything? Naw, I doubt it. She's like a killing machine. Just glad she didn't try to tangle with a big dog. Got out because some ppl came to the house, a lady and 3 kids, trying to give away a kitten. I'm like GET AWAY GO AWAY NEVER COME BACK AGAIN but Mylo saw her chance and away she went.

I didn't really say that. But I thought it really loudly.

Forum List

Back