Nelson Mandela's Example and Why We Should Follow It

TemplarKormac

Political Atheist
Mar 30, 2013
The Land of Sanctuary
You know, I just thought of something. It's frankly a rather disturbing realization I came to. Nelson Mandela practiced something that we as Americans embroiled in politics and political parties are at the moment incapable of. Forgiveness. His enemy was racial segregation, not other human beings. His goal was freedom and equality, not the ruination of his rivals. Unlike us, he didn't let his party run him or speak for him, he spoke for a peoples united in a great cause. He wasn't just a politician, he was a leader.

While racial segregation ended here in America nearly 50 years ago, a new form of segregation is taking root. I see Democrats and Republicans labeling each other or stereotyping each other simply because of their political ideals. Instead of just black and white, it's also red versus blue. Mandela united a nation all by his lonesome. We as hundreds of millions of individuals cannot be united on any single given day. Instead, we are being taught to despise fellow countrymen for their beliefs, their backgrounds or their race. Not since 9/11 have we ever been truly united.

Our political system has engendered within us each a deep seated hatred of one another, making unity in America an impossible feat to accomplish. Nelson Mandela didn't see enemies, he saw opportunities. Whereas opposed to us, who seemingly see opportunities to make enemies. Mandela sought the chance to kindle understanding among his own people. Conversely, such understanding here in America is lost to petty political infighting in a supposedly united nation.

In a figurative sense, a sort of Apartheid has taken root here. On top of our petty political infighting, we seem to be doing the very same thing Mandela fought against with every fiber of his being. Racism. I don't really know if it has ended in America or not, to be honest. Because in the political world, someone's race can be his strength or his weakness. On this board, I see many examples of it daily. Normally, the merit of a man's ideas were what made him. Not his race, nor where he came from. How pathetic are we, that we as a nation can have our own principles of freedom, unity, and equality so easily demonstrated to us by a nation across the sea?

Perhaps we have it all wrong, maybe we should follow his example, Mandela's example. Call him a terrorist, or a hero if you like. Regardless, he taught the world to be free, again. Perhaps his example will help lead America back to what made it the land of the free, and home of the brave. Perhaps my friends, we can shed the chains of political bondage and learn to forgive again. Mandela once said, "If you want to make peace with your enemy, you have to work with your enemy. Then he becomes your partner." To me that's unity; a unity we so often lack. He also was quoted as saying "If there are dreams about a beautiful South Africa, there are also roads that lead to their goal. Two of these roads could be named Goodness and Forgiveness." To me, that signifies that the capacity for forgiveness and understanding still exists in the hearts of men.

Last edited:
In America, racism runs deeper.

Blacks aren't the problem, but the victims of extreme racism.

So blacks have JUST gotten "freedom" the last 40 years, and still face discrimination in this predominant white society. So we vote democratic today so we can continue to move foward. But MANY of the racists are in the republican party.

So THE REASON the parties are forever locked in dispute is because MANY REPUBLICANS ARE RACIST, and it doesn't matter what democrats want or do...they will fight to the death against it BECAUSE it may benefit blacks who are democrats.

If blacks started their own party, republicans would OVERNIGHT, cease to attack democrats.

So blacks have JUST gotten "freedom" the last 40 years, and still face discrimination in this predominant white society. So we vote democratic today so we can continue to move foward. But MANY of the racists are in the republican party.

So THE REASON the parties are forever locked in dispute is because MANY REPUBLICANS ARE RACIST, and it doesn't matter what democrats want or do...they will fight to the death against it BECAUSE it may benefit blacks who are democrats.

If blacks started their own party, republicans would OVERNIGHT, cease to attack democrats.

I can already see ONE of you has already missed the entire point I just tried to make.

You are so full of crap and hate it's comes off as pure racism.

How have things improved for Blacks in America over the past 5 years?

Employment, business opportunity, home ownership, freedom from government submission.

Last edited:

And as long as you can point to somebody else and say they are the problem, you yourself will remain powerless in whatever situation you may find yourself.

Last edited:

And as long as you can point to somebody else and say they are the problem, you yourself will remain powerless in whatever situation you may find yourself in.

Wow, we actually agree..:crybaby:

Sometimes, there are things you must point your finger at.

OR....We can all go crazy, and ACT like there is no problem, and blacks just stop trying to point out the obvious and keep dialogue open ....and just decide to kill everyone they see being racist.

OR... we can address the fucking racism. Which will in fact, entail us pointing a finger at the racist and their ways.

OR....we can act crazy like Taliban, and don't point a finger at anyone, but just become maniacal lunatics killing everyone that we think are racist.

Like Zimmerman.

We can sit up here and POINT at an all white, jury, cops, D.A., judge, prosecutors, defense team, med examiners, etc....that lets an unarmed black kid doing nothing wrong be killed.

OR....we don't have to POINT OUT a damn thing, but just kill him and anyone with him.

Which do you think is a wiser course for Black Americans?

I do not really get that involved in political discussions between Democrats versus Republicans because what I see is often similar policies because the special interest groups have so much influence.

I think we have shortcomings in our political system that need fixing.

Look at our involvement with wars all over the world, and not just as initiators or participants or funders of war.

We are the major arms exporter.

We export violence and death.

Sometimes, there are things you must point your finger at.

OR....We can all go crazy, and ACT like there is no problem, and blacks just stop trying to point out the obvious and keep dialogue open ....and just decide to kill everyone they see being racist.

OR... we can address the fucking racism. Which will in fact, entail us pointing a finger at the racist and their ways.

OR....we can act crazy like Taliban, and don't point a finger at anyone, but just become maniacal lunatics killing everyone that we think are racist.

Like Zimmerman.

We can sit up here and POINT at an all white, jury, cops, D.A., judge, prosecutors, defense team, med examiners, etc....that lets an unarmed black kid doing nothing wrong be killed.

OR....we don't have to POINT OUT a damn thing, but just kill him and anyone with him.

Which do you think is a wiser course for Black Americans?

You could look at the prisons and who is there and their sentences and their treatment in prisons and see the racism.

But people do not want to open their eyes and see it, like the white churches in the South during The Civil Rights Movement closed their eyes to the racism in segregation.

My father was in The National Guard in Arkansas and deployed to Central High, first called by the Governor to stop integregation, but then the federal government stepped in and federalized the National Guard to enforce integration.

President Sends Troops to Little Rock, Federalizes Arkansas National Guard; Tells Nation He Acted to Avoid An Anarchy

Washington, Sept. 24--"President Eisenhower sent Federal troops to Little Rock, Ark., today to open the way for the admission of nine Negro pupils to Central High School. Earlier, the President federalized the Arkansas National Guard and authorized calling the Guard and regular Federal forces to remove obstructions to justice in Little Rock school integration."

President Sends Troops to Little Rock, Federalizes Arkansas National Guard; Tells Nation He Acted to Avoid An Anarchy

For us to be able to do what Mandela did is next to impossible.

Mandela was black.

Mandela was not born thinking he was superior to his adversaries. He only wanted peace and justice.

Many republicans ACTUALLY BELIEVE they are superior to minorities.

They consider it an affront unto their sacred selves to share the fat of this land with blacks or mexicans.

Mandela therefore, was in power, but with a peaceful heart toward ALL.

Republicans are in a position of power frequently, but have a hateful heart toward ALL mexicans and blacks...who are mostly democrats.

Therefore, Mandela's ways cannot work in America....

UNLESS.....

We deal with the racists who have successfully hijacked the republican party.

^ Low Information Voter chimes in

You know, I just thought of something. It's frankly a rather disturbing realization I came to. Nelson Mandela practiced something that we as Americans embroiled in politics and political parties are at the moment incapable of. Forgiveness. His enemy was racial segregation, not other human beings. His goal was freedom and equality, not the ruination of his rivals. Unlike us, he didn't let his party run him or speak for him, he spoke for a peoples united in a great cause. He wasn't just a politician, he was a leader.

While racial segregation ended here in America nearly 50 years ago, a new form of segregation is taking root. I see Democrats and Republicans labeling each other stereotyping each other simply because of their political ideals. Instead of just black and white, it's also red versus blue. Mandela united a nation all by his lonesome. We as hundreds of millions of individuals cannot be united on any single given day. Instead, they are being taught to despise fellow countrymen for their beliefs, their backgrounds or their race. Not since 9/11 have we ever been truly united.

Our political system has engendered within us each a deep seated hatred of one another, making unity in America an impossible feat to accomplish. Nelson Mandela didn't see enemies, he saw opportunities. Whereas opposed to us, who seemingly see opportunities to make enemies. Mandela sought the chance to kindle understanding among his own people. Conversely, such understanding here in America is lost to petty political infighting in a supposedly united nation.

In a figurative sense, a sort of Apartheid has taken root here. On top of our petty political infighting, we seem to be doing the very same thing Mandela fought against with every fiber of his being. Racism. I don't really know if it has ended in America or not, to be honest. Because in the political world, someone's race can be his strength or his weakness. On this board, I see many examples of it daily. Normally, the merit of a man's ideas were what made him. Not his race, nor where he came from. How pathetic are we, that we as a nation can have our own principles of freedom, unity, and equality so easily demonstrated to us by a nation across the sea?

Perhaps we have it all wrong, maybe we should follow his example, Mandela's example. Call him a terrorist, or a hero if you like. Regardless, he taught the world to be free, again. Perhaps his example will help lead America back to what made it the land of the free, and home of the brave. Perhaps my friends, we can shed the chains of political bondage and learn to forgive again. Mandela once said, "If you want to make peace with your enemy, you have to work with your enemy. Then he becomes your partner." To me that's unity; a unity we so often lack. He also was quoted as saying "If there are dreams about a beautiful South Africa, there are also roads that lead to their goal. Two of these roads could be named Goodness and Forgiveness." To me, that signifies that the capacity for forgiveness and understanding still exists in the hearts of men.

He was a real leader and a hero for his country like George Washington was for us.

He learned and grew over the course of his life and he set a high standard that has not been followed either in SA or here in the USA.

LMAO...When did ole George Washington necklace people and sing about murdering white people. This is ALL the proof I need to know 99% of the world is anti white racists. Eh time comes we will win and survive the rest of you nope.

Forum List

Back