Nearly 40% Of Graduating College Seniors Feel Unprepared For A Career

2019-05-09_8-32-37.jpg

They get hyped all through high school of the great benefits of going to college. They’ll get rich, be rolling in dough.

And then they get there.

2019-05-09_8-34-38.jpg

What a college student does with their career really does play an impact on their student loan debt,” he said. “They go to college and they graduate with the average of $30,000 in student loan debt and they can’t land a job, or a good-paying job, then they are going to be stuck with that student loan debt and it’s only going to get worse and it’s going to impact how they handle their life after graduation.”

Meanwhile, there are millions on hands-on craftsman jobs out there begging for applicants. Good jobs with benefits. And the benefit of seeing what your hands have created.

More
@ Edu-geddon: Nearly 40% Of Graduating College Seniors Feel Unprepared For A Career
WTH?

They were taught that capitalism is evil, deviant sex is normal, there is no such things as male/female, and all guns should be banned.

What else do they need to know?

Geesh. Just recycle and protest global warming and everything will work out just fine.

2019-05-09_8-32-37.jpg

They get hyped all through high school of the great benefits of going to college. They’ll get rich, be rolling in dough.

And then they get there.

2019-05-09_8-34-38.jpg

What a college student does with their career really does play an impact on their student loan debt,” he said. “They go to college and they graduate with the average of $30,000 in student loan debt and they can’t land a job, or a good-paying job, then they are going to be stuck with that student loan debt and it’s only going to get worse and it’s going to impact how they handle their life after graduation.”

Meanwhile, there are millions on hands-on craftsman jobs out there begging for applicants. Good jobs with benefits. And the benefit of seeing what your hands have created.

More
@ Edu-geddon: Nearly 40% Of Graduating College Seniors Feel Unprepared For A Career

I curious to see if there is a breakdown by what degree they got.

I would think Engineering, accounting, and other more rigorous majors would produce graduates with more of a work future outlook as compared to say trans-lesbian pygmy basket weaving studies.
And what degree did you complete?

Me.
There are positive and negative attributes in all people.
It’s a matter of tapping into them.

Republicans teach that Evolution and Climate change is a myth

One right, one wrong! At least they bat .500. Libtards rarely get above "ofer".
Why don’t you explain to students that Climate Change doesn’t occur because it still snows in the winter?
Are you referring to students in China and India?
Both China and India understand the concept of Climate Change

Conservatives do not
They understand it and they cause it.

2019-05-09_8-32-37.jpg

And then they get there.

2019-05-09_8-34-38.jpg

More

I would think Engineering, accounting, and other more rigorous majors would produce graduates with more of a work future outlook as compared to say trans-lesbian pygmy basket weaving studies.

Degrees in medical fields, engineering, teaching, business prepare students for specific fields of work

Liberal Arts teach more language, writing, critical thinking which are valuable skills but harder to apply to a specific occupation

A generic liberal arts degree fits into your criteria. However some of these degrees really only lead to higher degrees in the same subject, and eventually an academic position in that subject. A broad Lib Arts education does teach you valuable thinking skills, but the problem is they have become far too specialized, and are more designed to perpetuate themselves than prepare a person for a field of employment.

There is nothing intrinsically wrong, with trans-lesbian pygmy basket-weaving, the issue is how many positions are availible for someone with said degree, compared to a more broadly based academic background/education?

Old school liberal arts education was about expanding your mind, the current metric is about focus on some obscure subset of a subset of a grouping of a theory/viewpoint/identity group.

And Engineers find plenty of opportunity in other fields. Employers like to hire people who have been trained to find solutions to problems, and usually by nature are adaptable to various technical requirements.
I have two liberal arts degrees and it never stopped me from earning a living. I also have extensive work in electronic and electric engineering and yet it never stopped me from working or earning a living. I have trades I learned in highschool and college yet it never stopped me from earning a living.

2019-05-09_8-32-37.jpg

And then they get there.

2019-05-09_8-34-38.jpg

More
WTH?

They were taught that capitalism is evil, deviant sex is normal, there is no such things as male/female, and all guns should be banned.

Geesh. Just recycle and protest global warming and everything will work out just fine.
capitalism is not evil but the humans in capitalism are...

Ya well how about when the woman doing your projects, doesn't like the business degree any, and is looking for more money from husbands? That's some sort of, burglary degree. Which we did, we got his credit card, got a PO box, and we took money from him which is Professional. See when I graduated in 2009 I wanted to work in GM Accounting. Government assets, government liabilities, disdain of the American taxpayer would have its own account of intangibles, I wanted to be a pioneer.

2019-05-09_8-32-37.jpg

And then they get there.

2019-05-09_8-34-38.jpg

More

Degrees in medical fields, engineering, teaching, business prepare students for specific fields of work

Liberal Arts teach more language, writing, critical thinking which are valuable skills but harder to apply to a specific occupation

A generic liberal arts degree fits into your criteria. However some of these degrees really only lead to higher degrees in the same subject, and eventually an academic position in that subject. A broad Lib Arts education does teach you valuable thinking skills, but the problem is they have become far too specialized, and are more designed to perpetuate themselves than prepare a person for a field of employment.

There is nothing intrinsically wrong, with trans-lesbian pygmy basket-weaving, the issue is how many positions are availible for someone with said degree, compared to a more broadly based academic background/education?

Old school liberal arts education was about expanding your mind, the current metric is about focus on some obscure subset of a subset of a grouping of a theory/viewpoint/identity group.

And Engineers find plenty of opportunity in other fields. Employers like to hire people who have been trained to find solutions to problems, and usually by nature are adaptable to various technical requirements.
I have two liberal arts degrees and it never stopped me from earning a living. I also have extensive work in electronic and electric engineering and yet it never stopped me from working or earning a living. I have trades I learned in highschool and college yet it never stopped me from earning a living.

Yes, it did. The posts you make on this message board paint you as the dumbass you are!

BTW, WTF is "electric engineering"? Do you have experience driving electric trains? Do you prefer HO scales to any others?

Nobody works together in college. Its an anti-think tank. I was visiting patent lawyers, I was visiting electronic engineering clubs. I wanted greenchip cellphone modifications out of the electric engineering people which "its impossible", that's probably every answer of every tub of student alive. "its impossible man".

2019-05-09_8-32-37.jpg

And then they get there.

2019-05-09_8-34-38.jpg

More

Yes, it did. The posts you make on this message board paint you as the dumbass you are!

BTW, WTF is "electric engineering"? Do you have experience driving electric trains? Do you prefer HO scales to any others?
I the army I was a 27E & 52D dipshit, get a clue.Industrial electrical and electronics maint and engineering dept. get a clue mop head admiral.....Majored in radio/tv/film/theater production and performance and journalism.. He's a headline you can figure out "Eat Me"!

And then they get there.

More

Oddly enough, I was just researching something along these lines in another forum and you can make as much as the average neuroscientist with a Ph.D. by pushing a lawnmower cutting yards with a high school diploma. So yeah, I would be a little worried.

That's like I was planning to Army Audit Agency at the Korea Duty Station which would allow you to audit the US arm base away in malfeasance, but then the Army Audit Agency only wants black people! Urgh! Said one guy who was fired.

Nobody works together in college. Its an anti-think tank. I was visiting patent lawyers, I was visiting electronic engineering clubs. I wanted greenchip cellphone modifications out of the electric engineering people which "its impossible", that's probably every answer of every tub of student alive. "its impossible man".

Nothing is impossible.

I the army I was a 27E & 52D dipshit, get a clue.Industrial electrical and electronics maint and engineering dept. get a clue mop head admiral.....Majored in radio/tv/film/theater production and performance and journalism.. He's a headline you can figure out "Eat Me"!

That's not an answer to my question. Fail! I see you had average ASVAB scores too!

That's not an answer to my question. Fail! I see you had average ASVAB scores too!
It must have taken you twice to go around the block.

2019-05-09_8-32-37.jpg

And then they get there.

2019-05-09_8-34-38.jpg

More

I suspect that this is a by-product of fewer and fewer people having meaningful job experiences while still in their teens. From about 10-14 I did every odd job I could find. 14-16 I worked illegally under the table in a restaurant, and did every odd job I could find. At 16 I started working properly and legally and did every odd job I could find and have only been unemployed voluntarily for 3 months since then during which I did every odd job I could find. By the time I graduated college, I was more pissed that all the time spent on college had been interfering with me working. When I went to Grad school, I still worked my first year even though I wasn't supposed to telecommuting for a business that had tried to replace me but that was such a disaster they just kept me on the payroll after the first month and set it up with remote office access, etc that allowed me to virtual office.

Life prepares you for life. Classrooms do not. All this Extended Adolescence stuff is a disservice to kids.

Having doubts about one's future is not abnormal I had several ideas and yet I stayed in a field I didn't need a degree in. Life is weird you never know what will happen, it never hurts to try and fail than to never have tried at all...

Ya ya right Whatever, at Dekster. Is there a single person that doesn't think they can do that? My parents persuaded me and paid my college saying no, you can't get employed, no the internet jobs don't exist, you won't make any money. I hear a lot more people talking about having a degree and fully unemployed for Years, its the economy and units of labor, who's special? Who's a "Special Worker"? You? They'll just make more sorting jobs than the customers need because that fits your lifestyle.

2019-05-09_8-32-37.jpg

And then they get there.

2019-05-09_8-34-38.jpg

More
WTH?

Right, verses those in government who are angelic.

2019-05-09_8-32-37.jpg

And then they get there.

2019-05-09_8-34-38.jpg

More
WTH?

Right, verses those in government who are angelic.
I believe they are humans also..

2019-05-09_8-32-37.jpg

And then they get there.

2019-05-09_8-34-38.jpg

More
You must not have been to college or you would understand how it works.

Take electronica engineer for example. What they teach you are the parts. Diode’s, resistors, capacitors, IC chips and so on. For instance the electronics that run an elevator are way different than the electronics inside of a stereo.
So in college they don’t really teach systems. They teach components. And then you learn the system at the company that you go to. You have to learn their system to contribute. But your college knowledge is your foundation.

So naturally college seniors are not going to feel prepared for any particular job until they go to that job and put their knowledge and skills to use and learn what that job is.

Even carpenters have to learn the different tools and styles to build a desk.

I hope that helps. Consider this a “teaching” moment.

Forum List

Back