Nearly 2/3 of US Navy's Strike Fighters Can't Fly

And their F-35 replacement is the worst of the three,,,,,,We are building ships that dont work and not maintaining what does.......I'd call that recipe for disaster on an epic scale

It’s almost as though the U.S. military just got through spending eight years getting treated as dirt.

Grounded: Nearly two-thirds of US Navy’s strike fighters can’t fly

"The Navy can’t get money to move around service members and their families to change assignments, and about $440 million is needed to pay sailors. And the service claims 15 percent of its shore facilities are in failed condition — awaiting repair, replacement or demolition."

One Obamacare website could pay all our sailors for 3 whole years

Congress’ inability to pass a budget is hurting the fleet, leaders say
WASHINGTON — The U.S. Navy’s F/A-18 Hornet and Super Hornet strike fighters are the tip of the spear, embodying most of the fierce striking power of the aircraft carrier strike group. But nearly two-thirds of the fleet’s strike fighters can’t fly — grounded because they’re either undergoing maintenance or simply waiting for parts or their turn in line on the aviation depot backlog.

Overall, more than half the Navy’s aircraft are grounded, most because there isn’t enough money to fix them.
----------------------

And the OP lies that Obama is at fault.

The defense people are right, instead of spending money on new ships and planes, let's first fix the ones that we have that need it.

Same thing with the infrastructure. You want a jobs program to put Americans back to work? There it is.

This believe it or don't is a cyclical problem and I doubt that this is the worse downturn in my lifetime. I served during time of war in a ship that had been condemned as unseaworthy three times and Fido was one of the best, if not the best, mine sweeps on the East Coast. At least one and probably two nuke subs were lost with all hands due to skipping maintenance before I joined.

This believe it or don't is a cyclical problem and I doubt that this is the worse downturn in my lifetime. I served during time of war in a ship that had been condemned as unseaworthy three times and Fido was one of the best, if not the best, mine sweeps on the East Coast. At least one and probably two nuke subs were lost with all hands due to skipping maintenance before I joined.

You know, I MIGHT believe that this is a cyclical problem, but the rate of down aircraft is twice the rate that they plan for. 25 percent is normal maintenance, but almost 50 percent? That means there is a problem with the funding.

And yeah, when I was stationed with VFA-131 in the late 80's/early 90's, there were times that we had to cut back on the flight training because there wasn't enough money for the fuel to fly. Most times, those cutbacks happen just before the end of the fiscal year because that was when the squadron would start to run out of money.

You know, I MIGHT believe that this is a cyclical problem, but the rate of down aircraft is twice the rate that they plan for. 25 percent is normal maintenance, but almost 50 percent? That means there is a problem with the funding.

And yeah, when I was stationed with VFA-131 in the late 80's/early 90's, there were times that we had to cut back on the flight training because there wasn't enough money for the fuel to fly. Most times, those cutbacks happen just before the end of the fiscal year because that was when the squadron would start to run out of money.

This is more like the pre-WWII decline where we started off with fewer carriers than the Japanese, lower quality fighter aircraft and inferior torpedoes I'll grant you but this is unhappily a normal congressional cycle. Carriers and earlier battleships were and are expected to last a minimum of 50 years and maintenance cycles are almost never properly maintained as in the sinking of the Maine sure sounds like improper maintenance of the air filters although I haven't seen it reported that way.

This is more like the pre-WWII decline where we started off with fewer carriers than the Japanese, lower quality fighter aircraft and inferior torpedoes I'll grant you but this is unhappily a normal congressional cycle. Carriers and earlier battleships were and are expected to last a minimum of 50 years and maintenance cycles are almost never properly maintained as in the sinking of the Maine sure sounds like improper maintenance of the air filters although I haven't seen it reported that way.

You've also gotta take into account the age of the aircraft. FA-18's are high performance fighters, and they get flown HARD by the pilots. I remember VFA-131 getting their first Super Hornets back in the mid 90's.

You've also gotta take into account the age of the aircraft. FA-18's are high performance fighters, and they get flown HARD by the pilots. I remember VFA-131 getting their first Super Hornets back in the mid 90's.

No, you've got to figure out how to explain that to 535 politicians who vote on the maintenance budget.

Forum List

Back