Neanderthals have a speech

Quentin111

VIP Member
Oct 26, 2014
I watched a film on Neanderthals on television. It turns out that Neanderthals had a speech. According to the Neanderthal brain reconstruction, it was assumed that there were speech centers in their brain.

The first Neanderthal skeleton found was hunched over with arthritis, which is why it appeared to walk in a stooped manner.

The average height of a Neanderthal way back in harsh pre-historic times was about 5' 6" for a male. The average height of an American soldier in the Civil War was 5' 7".

Neanderthal - Wikipedia

"Anatomical evidence suggests they were much stronger than modern humans[2] while they were comparable to modern humans in height; based on 45 long bones from at most 14 males and 7 females, height estimates using different methods yielded averages in the range of 164–168 cm (65–66 in) for males and 152–156 cm (60–61 in) for females."

They had larger brains than modern humans, invented the first adhesive, built the first boats, and built better weapons than the Cro-Magnons. They were also believed to have been less social than the Cro-Magnons and the Ice Age in Europe was not conducive to massive populations. The Cro-Magnons flooded in with 20 times the numbers and simply absorbed them into the gene pool. Most Europeans have about 2.5% Neanderthal DNA.

I watched a film on Neanderthals on television. It turns out that Neanderthals had a speech. According to the Neanderthal brain reconstruction, it was assumed that there were speech centers in their brain.
Since chimps can speak to each other I dont see why it would be surprising that neanderthals could speak since they are more human like than chimps.

Since chimps can speak to each other I dont see why it would be surprising that neanderthals could speak since they are more human like than chimps.
But chimps can only speak body language, their jaws are not adapted for speech.

Last edited:
Incorrect. Chimps can and do make vocalizations. Just because we dont speak their language doesnt mean they dont have speech. It just means we are too arrogant to admit we dont know what they are saying.

Chimpanzee Communication - Chimpanzee Facts and Information

"Chimpanzees produce more than 30 different vocalizations which use in contexts like feeding, sexual activity, social interaction, and alarm, making them stand out among other animals for the use of their sounds. Common chimpanzees emit more than 15 types of calls, which sound different and have different meanings, which only a few are known."

Incorrect. Chimps can and do make vocalizations. Just because we dont speak their language doesnt mean they dont have speech. It just means we are too arrogant to admit we dont know what they are saying.

"Chimpanzees produce more than 30 different vocalizations which use in contexts like feeding, sexual activity, social interaction, and alarm, making them stand out among other animals for the use of their sounds. Common chimpanzees emit more than 15 types of calls, which sound different and have different meanings, which only a few are known."
But that is not language.

But that is not language.
I never said it was language and thats only because technically "language" is defined as "human" speech. Chimps have their own speech. They wouldnt speak human language. They would speak chimp in their own language.

speech
/spēCH/
noun
  1. 1.
    the expression of or the ability to express thoughts and feelings by articulate sounds.
Basically what this study is doing is shattering the concept that only humans have language. Its pure arrogance and ignorance to assume other animals dont speak to each other.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back