NBC omits "under God"

Jack gets it right!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TaHsR_pG6w]YouTube - ‪Cafferty: Why would NBC edit Pledge?‬‏[/ame]

There is no way that this can be defended.

A bit disappointed with NBC for their cowardly apology, but I can't honestly say I'm ever surprised when a corporate news station tries to accommodate the loudest of their viewership.

There's nothing wrong or unpatriotic with being inclusive of all citizens.

The majority of our founding father's were Christian's. They were not deist's. Even the few who were deist's proclaimed of an active God.

The Founding Fathers Were Not Deists

The creator falls under Christians, Jews and Muslims, as many other type of religions do.
You have the right in this nation to drop the word under God or substitute it. But the majority of this nation is religious and those of you who don't believe, do not have the right to take those words out.

This is political correctness run amok again.
we have EVERY right to fight to have the pledge read AS IT WAS ORIGINALLY WRITTEN
cus you are the *majority *dont make your opinion right as it does.nt with any other subject
the MAJORITY of citizens support the right to abortion
doesnt mean the religious right *minority* cant fight to have the law changed

the creator could also mean the flying spaghetti monster

you just described why we are a constitutional republic and not a democracy in the USA.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on whats for dinner, liberty is a well armed (or represented) lamb contesting that outcome -benjamin franklin (minus my "orrepresented")
its amazing how many folks want the *right* to afford change but deny others the same right

During sunday's US Open golf tournament, NBC ran a segment where they showed kids reciting the pledge of allegiance, which was great. But they edited out the "under God" words, similar to what president Obama himself did awhile back in a speech I think. They got a lot of blowback from irrate viewers complaining about the omission, so they apologized saying it was not done to upset anyone.

Well I'm not sure about that, but I am sure it was done intentionally, as did Obama. I have to question why, surely they know this is going to inflame a lot of people. And for what? You know what, I think it comes down to arrogance, an eliteist position of gov't over God. It's deliberately done with condescension and shows a lack of respect for any other view but thir own. It's like we don't care what you think, if you don't agree then you're wrong and should be ignored or at least discounted.

a lack of respect for any view but their own...kinda of like how christians think talking about god and having such a line in the pledge isn't disresepct to nonbelievers or to people of other faiths?

I'm catholic and I support the 1st amendment, as well as the protection of both government and religion.

taking that line out is a wonderful thing and shows respect toward everyone - especially the minority who believe in godS or in no god at all
Maybe if you are talking about actually changing the pledge itself but when you are talking about a news station purposefully editing the lines out then you are in another territory. What they did was wrong in any sense of the word and pushes a particular political ideology without purpose. They should be getting the message as their rating suck but it seems some people are thicker than others.

A bit disappointed with NBC for their cowardly apology, but I can't honestly say I'm ever surprised when a corporate news station tries to accommodate the loudest of their viewership.

It was deliberate EXCLUSION and that is not patriotic.

Jack gets it right!

YouTube - ‪Cafferty: Why would NBC edit Pledge?‬‏

There is no way that this can be defended.

NBC admitted to doing it on purpose!

It was deliberate EXCLUSION and that is not patriotic.

watch the CNN story. NBC said it was a decision made by a small group of people to edit the pledge that way, they admit it was on purpose.

The term "under God" was added to a second version of the original. That said, it was currious why NBC Sports would omit the phrase if they were going to use the pledge in their "patriotic promo to the US Open.

I've seen plenty NBC sports shows to know that the pledge isnt usually used in a promo. Maybe NBC got caught up in the "US" Open moment and tried to show "patriotism". If NBC didnt like the current version of the pledge...they should have left it out; I doubt anyone would have complained the pledge wasnt recited before a golf show.

Last edited:
I hope you see the irony of this post. I am not trying to silence anybody.

In fact you are, you applaud the censorship of words you object to.

Pretty standard for the anti-liberty left.

I am trying to understand why you need to include in a pledge that is supposed to include every American,

Yeah, you need to rewrite a more multi-cultural pledge. Put in global warming, Gaia - and make it in Spanish!

something that a large number of people object to.

Maybe one quarter of one percent of the population?

This is you of the anti-liberty left trying to impose your authoritarian rules on others. If you don't like the pledge, you don't have to say it. You don't get to silence others.

I do not hate anybody.

ROFL

Yeah, right.

I have no objection to any religious education in schools as long as ALL religions are taught.

Tolerating the free exercise of religion is neither teaching, nor establishing a religion. I hear things all the time that I don't agree with. McDonalds food sucks - hearing a McDonalds ad proclaiming "I'm loving it" doesn't suddenly convert me to liking their crappy food.

But you anti-liberty leftists are convinced that merely hearing someone pray or utter the word "Jesus" will cause you to burn your Che posters, throw away Mein Kampf and Das Kapital, and join the 700 club. Maybe y'all are that weak minded - I don't know.

How often is homosexuality even brought up in baseball games?

It was a simile to illustrate the bigotry of your statement. You really didn't get that?

I have no objection to people practicing religion either - in their own time, on their own dime, in their house or place of worship or at a picnic in Yellowstone.

As long as "those people" stay at the back of the bus, you'll let them be, huh?

Currently, your arguments are superfluous and bordering on the strawman. You are basically saying "I don't give a shit if religion interferes with your life or not". Sorry, I do.

I don't give a shit what interferes with your life.. I don't hold you as being above others, I don't agree that the rights of some should be crushed to make you more comfortable. I don't hold the hostility toward civil liberties that you do.

This isn't even a free speech issue...you're making shit up as you go along....

The right to speak or not to speak isn't a "free speech issue?"

ROFL

Oh, I know, you think you are one of these intellectually superior libertarians who think their worldview is the apex of human enlightenment...

Human enlightenment will continue to develop. I do hold liberty as the pinnacle of human dignity. The most human method of interacting with another is respecting the liberty of others to do as they will, free of restraint or coercion - so long as their actions cause no physical harm and do not involve fraud.

Human enlightenment will continue to develop. I do hold liberty as the pinnacle of human dignity. The most human method of interacting with another is respecting the liberty of others to do as they will, free of restraint or coercion - so long as their actions cause no physical harm and do not involve fraud.

I actually agree with your last. It is how I feel, too. Yet in this and previous posts you don't give a shit if religion intrudes on my liberty. Saving the minority from the tyranny of the majority is obviously not a priority in your myopic view of how your precious republic should be run....

Yeah, you need to rewrite a more multi-cultural pledge. Put in global warming, Gaia - and make it in Spanish!

I find this part of your post hiliarious bearing in mind you then go on to say this....

This is you of the anti-liberty left trying to impose your authoritarian rules on others. If you don't like the pledge, you don't have to say it. You don't get to silence others.

Oh the irony.

I do not want to silence others. Is English your first language? This is the third time I have said that I don't want to silence others. I do not object to the pledge per se, but the accompanying drivel. Check out Blitzer and MacWhatshisname "Hand over your heart blah, blah, blah". Patriotic, narcisstic drivel... - IOW, according to Blitzer etc if you don't say the pledge etc, you are somehow a lesser American.

I don't have to be 'under a god' to know that there should be liberty and justice for all. To all those that do, good for them - just don't tell me I need to. Once again, I mention, that the 'under god' part is an add on. If your life and morals are so wanting and vacuous that you need to lean on God to help you through the day, good for you. Me? I know that it is wrong to burgle, rape, kill and steal.

Last edited:
watch the CNN story. NBC said it was a decision made by a small group of people to edit the pledge that way, they admit it was on purpose.

And?

So?

They’re a private company with the right to edit or report the news any way they want – including the right to editorialize they hate god and religion.

It’s your right not to watch.

And there is no ‘censorship,’ only lawmaking bodies are enjoined by the Constitution from preempting free speech or expression.

Yet another moronic non-issue from the right.

GE, the company that paid no taxes, is losing control of NBC...or are they?

And?

So?

They’re a private company with the right to edit or report the news any way they want – including the right to editorialize they hate god and religion.

It’s your right not to watch.

And there is no ‘censorship,’ only lawmaking bodies are enjoined by the Constitution from preempting free speech or expression.

Yet another moronic non-issue from the right.

As a company dependent upon advertising they are therefore dependent upon public will. Thier action caused an issue with a segement of the population, and that segment let its feelings be known.

Where was censorship brought up? Regular people called in noting thier displeasure over modification to the pledge of allegence. NBC, noting this displeasure responded out of concern for thier business.

No government involvment needed. (unless a nipple pops out, then god help us)

Forum List

Back