NBC omits "under God"

Actually NBC was recently aquired by comcast, who fired their old liberally biased CEO and put in a new one who will be fired if he exhibits bias too.

They are still working on the staff obviously from this "edit" everyone is raging about.

Haven't heard much about that. So thanks. Yea they definitely need to clean house over at NBC. They let the screeching Wingnuts take over. I mean it did take an effort on their part to omit the word God. NBC has lost so much credibility over the years and i don't know if they can ever get it back. I hope you're right and they are cleaning house. I'll take a wait & see attitude on that though.

yeah they fired keith, shivers up my leg, olberman as one of their first orders of business......i'll try and find you a link or a youtube story or something.

I realize that this isn't sinking in, but NBC and MSNBC are separate companies, and Olbermann didn't say the "shivers up my leg" comment, that was Chris Matthews.

During sunday's US Open golf tournament, NBC ran a segment where they showed kids reciting the pledge of allegiance, which was great. But they edited out the "under God" words, similar to what president Obama himself did awhile back in a speech I think. They got a lot of blowback from irrate viewers complaining about the omission, so they apologized saying it was not done to upset anyone.

Well I'm not sure about that, but I am sure it was done intentionally, as did Obama. I have to question why, surely they know this is going to inflame a lot of people. And for what? You know what, I think it comes down to arrogance, an eliteist position of gov't over God. It's deliberately done with condescension and shows a lack of respect for any other view but thir own. It's like we don't care what you think, if you don't agree then you're wrong and should be ignored or at least discounted.

a lack of respect for any view but their own...kinda of like how christians think talking about god and having such a line in the pledge isn't disresepct to nonbelievers or to people of other faiths?

I'm catholic and I support the 1st amendment, as well as the protection of both government and religion.

taking that line out is a wonderful thing and shows respect toward everyone - especially the minority who believe in godS or in no god at all

During sunday's US Open golf tournament, NBC ran a segment where they showed kids reciting the pledge of allegiance, which was great. But they edited out the "under God" words, similar to what president Obama himself did awhile back in a speech I think. They got a lot of blowback from irrate viewers complaining about the omission, so they apologized saying it was not done to upset anyone.

Well I'm not sure about that, but I am sure it was done intentionally, as did Obama. I have to question why, surely they know this is going to inflame a lot of people. And for what? You know what, I think it comes down to arrogance, an eliteist position of gov't over God. It's deliberately done with condescension and shows a lack of respect for any other view but thir own. It's like we don't care what you think, if you don't agree then you're wrong and should be ignored or at least discounted.

a lack of respect for any view but their own...kinda of like how christians think talking about god and having such a line in the pledge isn't disresepct to nonbelievers or to people of other faiths?

I'm catholic and I support the 1st amendment, as well as the protection of both government and religion.

taking that line out is a wonderful thing and shows respect toward everyone - especially the minority who believe in godS or in no god at all

Sometimes I think we Catholics are the only reasonable Christian faith.

But whatcha gonna do? :dunno:

Haven't heard much about that. So thanks. Yea they definitely need to clean house over at NBC. They let the screeching Wingnuts take over. I mean it did take an effort on their part to omit the word God. NBC has lost so much credibility over the years and i don't know if they can ever get it back. I hope you're right and they are cleaning house. I'll take a wait & see attitude on that though.

yeah they fired keith, shivers up my leg, olberman as one of their first orders of business......i'll try and find you a link or a youtube story or something.

Olberman was the guest on Jimmy Fallon Late Night at NBC just the other day, promoting his new job at another station.

Google shows this today:

Keith Olbermann’s Return to NBC
…
By Alex Weprin on June 15, 2011 9:09 AM

Former MSNBC host and soon-to-be Current TV anchor Keith Olbermann will be returning to NBCUniversal this week… but not on his former cable news home. Olbermann has been booked as a guest on “Late Night with Jimmy Fallon ”

Some return to unbiased news reporting... :uhoh3:

:lol: Those who get their news from Jimmy Fallon kinda deserve olberman :lol:

I can see his segment now

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMdd0iKo2fg]YouTube - ‪SNL weekend update Canadian pizza marijuana police bust‬‏[/ame]

I realize that this isn't sinking in, but NBC and MSNBC are separate companies, and Olbermann didn't say the "shivers up my leg" comment, that was Chris Matthews.

are they both part of the same parent company......oh yeah carry on.

And yes that was matthews. They are both ninnyhammers.

I think the only people required to say it are immagrants as part of becoming citizens. Once you are a citizen, you never have to say it again.

So why the faux-rage over what NBC did?

If you are going to use The Pledge, you should use the whole thing, or be called out for being an asshat.

Americans are deeply traditional, and you don't fuck with peoples traditions with pissing a lot of people off.

Ever not have turkey on Thanksgiving?

The last part of the pledge has been on the end since the 50s..hardly a tradition. And if it's no big deal, you don't mind it being deleted, right?

So I should be forced into religion?

That isn't the question nor what you desire - you want to silence others who hold beliefs you object to. No one is forcing you to do anything - it is YOU who seeks to force others to be silent - their faith offends you so you will deny them the right to express faith.

What has the first amendment got to do with forcing me to say "under God"

No one has forced you to say anything.

If some refuse to say that part of the pledge does that make you 'more' American and 'more' patriotic than those who don't?

I couldn't care less about what you do or don't say. It is your desire to silence others that i object to. You of the anti-liberty left are busy silencing ideas that you don't like.

I hope you see the irony of this post. I am not trying to silence anybody. I am trying to understand why you need to include in a pledge that is supposed to include every American, something that a large number of people object to. There are churches/temples etc, as well as radio and TV shows, where you can flap your gums under your heart's content....but not on my dime....

What's wrong with leaving it out? Religion should be kept in churches, mosques, temples and synagogues. Out of schools, baseball games, or any other past time for that matter...

Homosexuality should be kept in the closet, bathhouses, and private clubs. Out of schools, baseball games, or any other past time for that matter...

Funny how a couple of word changes reveal so very much.

Your desire to silence those whom you hate does not negate the constitutionally guaranteed civil rights of others, no matter HOW much better you are convinced you are than those whom you detest.

I'm agnostic, but will fight to the death to defend the right of others to practice religion as they see fit - in public, on holy-government ground or wherever.

I do not hate anybody. I have no objection to any religious education in schools as long as ALL religions are taught. How often is homosexuality even brought up in baseball games?

I have no objection to people practicing religion either - in their own time, on their own dime, in their house or place of worship or at a picnic in Yellowstone.

Currently, your arguments are superfluous and bordering on the strawman. You are basically saying "I don't give a shit if religion interferes with your life or not". Sorry, I do.

Last edited:
So I should be forced into religion?

That isn't the question nor what you desire - you want to silence others who hold beliefs you object to. No one is forcing you to do anything - it is YOU who seeks to force others to be silent - their faith offends you so you will deny them the right to express faith.

If some refuse to say that part of the pledge does that make you 'more' American and 'more' patriotic than those who don't?

I couldn't care less about what you do or don't say. It is your desire to silence others that i object to. You of the anti-liberty left are busy silencing ideas that you don't like.

I hope you see the irony of this post. I am not trying to silence anybody. I am trying to understand why you need to include in a pledge that is supposed to include every American, something that a large number of people object to. There are churches/temples etc, as well as radio and TV shows, where you can flap your gums under your heart's content....but not on my dime....

Because a much larger number don't think it's a big deal since it is not a law, it is just an expression... And no one is forcing anyone to say anything...

Absolutely they can pray at a game - just don't ask me to,

But it's fine for you to ask them not to...

And don't get all smarmy and say that those who don't pray are somehow a lesser [insert nationality] here, or not as patriotic. Now, I'm not saying you think that, but a lot of people do.

If they do, should they be put in prison? What penalty attaches to expression not approved of by you?

I think you should be as free from religion as you can without penalty of favour.

So freedom from speech you oppose, then?

Um 1) No, I just said they can pray at a game :cuckoo:

2) WTF are you going on about? Who even mentioned prison. They can say what they like, but if they start making out they are somehow more partriotic or whatever, then they can go swing. Because once you start going down that path, then it can never be a good outcome IMO...

3) They can speak all they want, but don't get your panties in a wad if somebody leaves out the last part of the pledge - something that was only added a few decades ago anyway. It's not like it's the lord's prayer or Hannukah or Xmas or Ramadan...

how is not wanting to be subjected to religion the same as hatred for people of faith?

So your hatred is really just of free speech?

Those who hold views contrary to yours - and the party which define those views, must be silent?

Yep, pretty well the standard position of you anti-liberty leftists.

This isn't even a free speech issue...you're making shit up as you go along....

Oh, I know, you think you are one of these intellectually superior libertarians who think their worldview is the apex of human enlightenment...

Let me put it this way - you're coming across as a Holier Than Thou freedom of speech advocate, which would be great, if that was even the point of this debate....Hint: It's not....

Because a much larger number don't think it's a big deal since it is not a law, it is just an expression... And no one is forcing anyone to say anything...

But they do think it's a big deal because they bitched about NBC leaving it out.....:uhoh3:

But they do think it's a big deal because they bitched about NBC leaving it out.....:uhoh3:

And whose panties are really in a wad over the need to leave two words out of an inspirational expression...?

And whose panties are really in a wad over the need to leave two words out of an inspirational expression...?

Christians it seems....

Forum List

Back