Navy SEALs Face Assault Charges for Capturing Most-Wanted Terrorist

Discussion in 'Military' started by chanel, Nov 25, 2009.

1. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    FOXNews.com - Navy SEALs Face Assault Charges for Capturing Most-Wanted Terrorist - Iraq | War | Map

Unbelievable.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Amanda

Amanda Calm as a Hindu cow

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,006
    There's already another thread on this. Predictably some don't agree that getting a bust lip is the least this scumbag had coming.

3. Saladin

Saladin BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17
    We do not have sufficient evidence to analyze this particular case appropriately, I suspect, unless someone can supply superior information. While private mercenary groups are frequently authoritarian by their very nature and Blackwater has been a particularly severe offender, I would not join others in immediately celebrating the deaths of Blackwater personnel...nor necessarily in condemning them either, however.

4. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    Who would want to go into the Seals or the CIA for that matter? We have yet to see the complete fallout from these ridiculous abuse claims. War sucks - people get hurt. Who the hell wants a bunch of lawyers running it?

5. Amanda

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,006
    WTF?

This case is about Navy SEALS, not Blackwater or any other PMC.

6. Saladin

Saladin BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17
    The case regards SQUEALS' treatment of a man reviled for his participation in the orchestration of the deaths of Blackwater mercenaries. Readers will base their reaction on their opinions of Blackwater, since violent actions against a malevolent private mercenary army will not be regarded as negatively as actions against a benevolent privater mercenary army would.

7. Amanda

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,006
    1st - you FAIL when you resort to calling SEALs by other than their name, it shows your bias.

2nd - Readers will base their opinions on the facts of the case, not their opinion of Blackwater, unless they, like you, want to be viewed as hacks.

This case has nothing to do with Blackwater per se. It has to do with whether or not a detainee was abused by Navy SEALs. Your attempts to reframe it otherwise show your bias.

8. Saladin

Saladin BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Readers never base their opinions on "the facts of the case"; as you illustrated, there are always preexisting biases and opinions that will skew one's perceptions. That's why a U.S. military officer would not generally be regarded as poorly among U.S. citizens as this Abed is if he had committed the actions taken against Blackwater personnel against agents of a group identified as an "Islamic extremist" organization. There will be existing preconceptions formed regardless of the "facts of the case"...which is why I stated that we had insufficient information in the first place.

9. Amanda

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,006
    The Blackwater angle is irrelevant. Do you have something else or is slamming Blackwater all that's on your agenda?

10. Saladin

Saladin BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17
    If that were the case, I probably would have slammed Blackwater. That I didn't do so is perhaps evidence that I don't have an interest in it. I instead expressed an interest in more substantial information about this case. If you were correct in identifying an unfair bias in my part, that certainly couldn't do any harm.