Navy F/A-18 jet crashes in Key West

I never joke about these things, I'd joke about you, but not something like this.

Well then you are just an idiot. Planes crash, it happens when they are flown the way an F/A-18 is flown.

;) Son I've been in more tight spots than you would ever believe. The odds of an 18 exploding on it's own are slim to none.
You know nothing....seriously....you know nothing. You know what a turbine is? You know what an engine compressor is? You know what happens if one of them throws a blade?

I know you're a desperate man seeking relevance, does that count? The 18 is one of the most reliable aircraft ever.

And yet they still crash. While I was with VFMA-451 I had the unfortunate experience of being the Duty NCO the day we lost one of our planes and a pilot. I ended up being present when the CO told the wife of the pilot her husband was killed.

I never joke about these things, I'd joke about you, but not something like this.

Well then you are just an idiot. Planes crash, it happens when they are flown the way an F/A-18 is flown.

;) Son I've been in more tight spots than you would ever believe. The odds of an 18 exploding on it's own are slim to none.

As I said, you are an idiot. An engine flaming out would look just like the eyewitness described.

Yep, an engine flaming out would look just like that. And, based on where the plane went into the water compared to the runway, I'd be willing to bet that they had just taken off and sucked a small bird into the engine.

As I said, you are an idiot. An engine flaming out would look just like the eyewitness described.

Yep, an engine flaming out would look just like that. And, based on where the plane went into the water compared to the runway, I'd be willing to bet that they had just taken off and sucked a small bird into the engine.

The article said they were on approach, but I have not seen that verified.

You're right, the odds of it having a catastrophic failure is fairly low, but it can happen. There are several things that could have gone wrong, a fuel line might not have been secured like it was supposed to, there could have been a failure somewhere in the engine that the mechanics missed when they checked. Any number of things could have gone wrong. I was stationed with VFA-131 Wildcats (an FA-18 outfit in Cecil Field FL) for 4 years, and although our pilots never had a crash, it did happen to our sister squadron VFA-131 Knighthawks once at Fallon NV.

My opinion? There are a lot of birds around there (been there a couple of times on training deployments), and it could have just been bad luck that he sucked one into the intakes. Ever seen what happens when you FOD out an engine (the engine sucks in something big enough to damage it)? There are flames that shoot out the back end of the engine in an explosion. And, based on what the homeowner said, I would think that it was a bird strike.
Agree with bird strike...

I've been involved in a Bird Strike, it sucks.

You know nothing....seriously....you know nothing. You know what a turbine is? You know what an engine compressor is? You know what happens if one of them throws a blade?

I know you're a desperate man seeking relevance, does that count? The 18 is one of the most reliable aircraft ever.

And yet they still crash. While I was with VFMA-451 I had the unfortunate experience of being the Duty NCO the day we lost one of our planes and a pilot. I ended up being present when the CO told the wife of the pilot her husband was killed.

Our sister squadron VFA-136 Knighthawks lost a pilot while I was stationed with VFA-131 Wildcats. Seems that the pilot wasn't paying proper attention to his spatial awareness during a dogfight and he ended up flying into the side of the mountain. Spread him and the aircraft over a large area, and both squadrons had to go out and pick up the pieces of him and the plane.

Approach or take off, they would still have been low enough to suck a bird into the engine.

Approach or take off, they would still have been low enough to suck a bird into the engine.

Yep.

On a totally side note, have you ever seen what an FA-18 can do to a deer when it hits one while landing! :08621:

Which in no way precludes anything nefarious from having happened.

Our sister squadron VFA-136 Knighthawks lost a pilot while I was stationed with VFA-131 Wildcats. Seems that the pilot wasn't paying proper attention to his spatial awareness during a dogfight and he ended up flying into the side of the mountain. Spread him and the aircraft over a large area, and both squadrons had to go out and pick up the pieces of him and the plane.

It happens more than people realize. I spent 3 years as the Flight Clearance Chief at MCAS Yuma. 30 plus ranges used by squadrons from all over the world and all types of aircraft. I could not count the number of times we had to stand up the EOC.

Which in no way precludes anything nefarious from having happened.

There is no indication at all of anything nefarious having happened. To even suggest it without a single bit of evidence is ridiculous .

You're right, the odds of it having a catastrophic failure is fairly low, but it can happen. There are several things that could have gone wrong, a fuel line might not have been secured like it was supposed to, there could have been a failure somewhere in the engine that the mechanics missed when they checked. Any number of things could have gone wrong. I was stationed with VFA-131 Wildcats (an FA-18 outfit in Cecil Field FL) for 4 years, and although our pilots never had a crash, it did happen to our sister squadron VFA-131 Knighthawks once at Fallon NV.

My opinion? There are a lot of birds around there (been there a couple of times on training deployments), and it could have just been bad luck that he sucked one into the intakes. Ever seen what happens when you FOD out an engine (the engine sucks in something big enough to damage it)? There are flames that shoot out the back end of the engine in an explosion. And, based on what the homeowner said, I would think that it was a bird strike.

Ask Capt Sullenberger about that.

Yep.

On a totally side note, have you ever seen what an FA-18 can do to a deer when it hits one while landing! :08621:

Not too many deer in Cecil Field when I was there, and there was definitely not any on the carrier, which is the only 2 places I watched the planes take off and land. I imagine that it's pretty amazing though, considering that an FA-18 lands at around 150 mph.

My favorite thing to watch was the FA-18's taking off at night from Cecil Field in full afterburner. Long blue flames with circles around them shot out the back end.

And, whenever certain pilots were taking off, I would go and watch them. Why? Because they were crazy pilots who would turn off the weight on wheels switch BEFORE takeoff and then they would bump the stick and the wheels would fold up while they were still over the runway about 15 ft. off the deck and when they got to the end, they stood it on it's tail and went straight up.

Yep.

Not too many deer in Cecil Field when I was there, and there was definitely not any on the carrier, which is the only 2 places I watched the planes take off and land. I imagine that it's pretty amazing though, considering that an FA-18 lands at around 150 mph.

My favorite thing to watch was the FA-18's taking off at night from Cecil Field in full afterburner. Long blue flames with circles around them shot out the back end.

And, whenever certain pilots were taking off, I would go and watch them. Why? Because they were crazy pilots who would turn off the weight on wheels switch BEFORE takeoff and then they would bump the stick and the wheels would fold up while they were still over the runway about 15 ft. off the deck and when they got to the end, they stood it on it's tail and went straight up.

Deer all over the place around MCAS Beaufort. It was a mess but did almost no damage to the gear.

You see some crazy stuff when you work Base Operations.

Yep.

Deer all over the place around MCAS Beaufort. It was a mess but did almost no damage to the gear.

You see some crazy stuff when you work Base Operations.

You see crazy shit if you're in the military PERIOD.

I remember being on Vulture's Row one time and I saw an F-14 come by low and slow and looked different somehow. They came back for another pass, and we saw that the entire nosecone was gone and the pilot's windscreen was smashed. Seems that one of the mechanics didn't latch the radar dome properly, and when the pilot made a high g turn, the nosecone came off and took out his windscreen.

I remember the bird strike that caused the fatal crash of the B-1B bomber was first attributed to several birds being sucked into the engines. That's not what happened. Investigation revealed that a big ass pelican maybe 15 or 20 lbs pierced the planes skin and cut a hydraulic line causing a fire that terminated the flight. The bombers skin were reinforced after that.

Last edited:

How long were the birds out on strike? :D

Forum List

Back