Navy F/A-18 jet crashes in Key West

I never joke about these things, I'd joke about you, but not something like this.

Well then you are just an idiot. Planes crash, it happens when they are flown the way an F/A-18 is flown.

“I saw the fire and then it just dropped,” said Barbie Wilson, who lives nearby and was driving when she saw the plane turn sideways and then burst into flames.

“In the air, I saw fire,” Wilson said.
"

Navy F/A-18 jet crashes in Key West

TWA Flight 800 anyone?

Totally. Is it just a coincidence that all those kids were out of school today?

I never joke about these things, I'd joke about you, but not something like this.

Well then you are just an idiot. Planes crash, it happens when they are flown the way an F/A-18 is flown.

Yep. Key West is where the fighter jets go to practice ACM (Air Combat Maneuvering). And, there are a number of things that could have gone wrong with the jet. When I was with VFA-131 and we deployed to Key West for pilot training, one of them earned the call sign "Snatch", because apparently he was so busy trying to shoot down the other person that he stressed the airframe of the plane and it came back missing panels.

And, considering that it was so close to the airbase at Key West, I think that if someone shot a shoulder fired missile, it would have been detected.

No, there is no flight 800 to be seen here.

Yep. Key West is where the fighter jets go to practice ACM (Air Combat Maneuvering). And, there are a number of things that could have gone wrong with the jet. When I was with VFA-131 and we deployed to Key West for pilot training, one of them earned the call sign "Snatch", because apparently he was so busy trying to shoot down the other person that he stressed the airframe of the plane and it came back missing panels.

And, considering that it was so close to the airbase at Key West, I think that if someone shot a shoulder fired missile, it would have been detected.

And no missile was fired at Hawaii ;)

;) Son I've been in more tight spots than you would ever believe. The odds of an 18 exploding on it's own are slim to none.
You know nothing....seriously....you know nothing. You know what a turbine is? You know what an engine compressor is? You know what happens if one of them throws a blade?

And no missile was fired at Hawaii ;)

OMG, did the missile fired at Hawaii 'magic bullet' itself to Key West?

;) Son I've been in more tight spots than you would ever believe. The odds of an 18 exploding on it's own are slim to none.
You know nothing....seriously....you know nothing. You know what a turbine is? You know what an engine compressor is? You know what happens if one of them throws a blade?

I know you're a desperate man seeking relevance, does that count? The 18 is one of the most reliable aircraft ever.

You're right, the odds of it having a catastrophic failure is fairly low, but it can happen. There are several things that could have gone wrong, a fuel line might not have been secured like it was supposed to, there could have been a failure somewhere in the engine that the mechanics missed when they checked. Any number of things could have gone wrong. I was stationed with VFA-131 Wildcats (an FA-18 outfit in Cecil Field FL) for 4 years, and although our pilots never had a crash, it did happen to our sister squadron VFA-131 Knighthawks once at Fallon NV.

My opinion? There are a lot of birds around there (been there a couple of times on training deployments), and it could have just been bad luck that he sucked one into the intakes. Ever seen what happens when you FOD out an engine (the engine sucks in something big enough to damage it)? There are flames that shoot out the back end of the engine in an explosion. And, based on what the homeowner said, I would think that it was a bird strike.

As I said, you are an idiot. An engine flaming out would look just like the eyewitness described.

I know you're a desperate man seeking relevance, does that count? The 18 is one of the most reliable aircraft ever.

You're right, it IS a reliable aircraft, but there are times when human error happens and someone doesn't tighten something down properly, or they leave a tool in the airframe by accident. One of the things you notice about the tool boxes of the mechanics that work on those aircraft is that EVERY tool has a silouhette painted behind where it goes so that any missing tools can be noticed quickly. I have seen a couple of mechanics leave a tool in the aircraft, and when it was noticed, they went looking for the tool and nobody left until it was found. That was a captain's mast offense in our squadron.

You're right, the odds of it having a catastrophic failure is fairly low, but it can happen. There are several things that could have gone wrong, a fuel line might not have been secured like it was supposed to, there could have been a failure somewhere in the engine that the mechanics missed when they checked. Any number of things could have gone wrong. I was stationed with VFA-131 Wildcats (an FA-18 outfit in Cecil Field FL) for 4 years, and although our pilots never had a crash, it did happen to our sister squadron VFA-131 Knighthawks once at Fallon NV.

My opinion? There are a lot of birds around there (been there a couple of times on training deployments), and it could have just been bad luck that he sucked one into the intakes. Ever seen what happens when you FOD out an engine (the engine sucks in something big enough to damage it)? There are flames that shoot out the back end of the engine in an explosion. And, based on what the homeowner said, I would think that it was a bird strike.
Agree with bird strike...

Forum List

Back