Nashville Tennessee’s High Cost of Living Is a Farce

protectionist

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2013
Anyone who lives in Nashville, Tennessee, or is planning to move there needs to know something. It is a city with the fastest rising cost of living in America. The ironic thing about that is Nashville could easily (and may ought to) be the city with the lowest cost of living in America, (if anyone would even consider living there at all).

This all can be justified with 3 simple words >> Wolf Creek Dam. The huge dam in southern Kentucky has been in a constant state of disrepair for quite some time. Unfortunately for Nashville, it lies right in the path of a moving tsunami of water and debris, that with a breach of the Wolf Creek, could put Nashville under 20 feet of water, making the stadium of the Tennessee Titans look more like Seaworld.

It might also be noted that despite President Trump having infrastructure repair on his upcoming agenda, not much has been said about America’s dams, many of which are in bad need of repair.

The level and scale that a very large failed dam can produce is almost incomprehensible. The overflow, raging water moving at very high velocity, and immense power, can pick up and transport trees, tree limbs, automobiles, and other large objects, turning them into fast-moving missles, capable of obliterating about anything in their path. This can occur over a distance of 100’s of miles.

At risk would he homes, stores, hospitals, etc, and thousands of lives. Since cars and trucks contain large gasoline tanks, their impacts can cause explosions and fires, as well as at gas stations and storage facilities.

Flooding and mudslides would also be ubiquitous, as would washed out roads, making things difficult for the National Guard and other responders.

I would like to see many infrastructure issues addressed, by either maintenance or rebuilding completely.

But is the dam used to generate electricity? If so, the company profiting from selling that electricity should be part of the solution as well.

Anyone who lives in Nashville, Tennessee, or is planning to move there needs to know something. It is a city with the fastest rising cost of living in America. The ironic thing about that is Nashville could easily (and may ought to) be the city with the lowest cost of living in America, (if anyone would even consider living there at all).

This all can be justified with 3 simple words >> Wolf Creek Dam. The huge dam in southern Kentucky has been in a constant state of disrepair for quite some time. Unfortunately for Nashville, it lies right in the path of a moving tsunami of water and debris, that with a breach of the Wolf Creek, could put Nashville under 20 feet of water, making the stadium of the Tennessee Titans look more like Seaworld.

It might also be noted that despite President Trump having infrastructure repair on his upcoming agenda, not much has been said about America’s dams, many of which are in bad need of repair.

The level and scale that a very large failed dam can produce is almost incomprehensible. The overflow, raging water moving at very high velocity, and immense power, can pick up and transport trees, tree limbs, automobiles, and other large objects, turning them into fast-moving missles, capable of obliterating about anything in their path. This can occur over a distance of 100’s of miles.

At risk would he homes, stores, hospitals, etc, and thousands of lives. Since cars and trucks contain large gasoline tanks, their impacts can cause explosions and fires, as well as at gas stations and storage facilities.

Flooding and mudslides would also be ubiquitous, as would washed out roads, making things difficult for the National Guard and other responders.

Well I agree with you that our infrastructure needs to be addressed.

But you have failed to explain why the Wolf Creek Dam is responsible for the rising cost of living in Nashville.

I found this article on the Wolf Creek Dam: Wolf Creek Dam’s safety status upgraded

"DSACs, acronyms for Dam Safety Assurance Classifications, are dam safety designations ranging from DSAC 1, meaning critically near failure, to DSAC 5, meaning adequately safe with tolerable risks.

Up until June 4, Wolf Creek Dam, despite a $594 million rehabilitation, was saddled with a DSAC 1 classification, sounding critically near failure. DSAC 3, Wolf Creek Dam’s new classification, is “high priority, conditionally unsafe; significantly inadequate, or moderate to high risk.”

Despite the somewhat ominous sounding DSAC 3 classification, Bill Peoples, chief of public affairs for the Corps’ Nashville District, quoting Jimmy Waddle, chief of the Engineering-Construction Division, said upgrading Wolf Creek Dam to DSAC 3 is a “significant achievement.” Of the more than 600 dams the Corps manages in the United States, none has a DSAC rating of 5, meaning “normal, adequately safe with residual risks considered tolerable,” Peoples related. He said best of the dams, like Wolf Creek, have DSAC classifications of 3 or 4. DSAC 4 is “ ...marginally safe, inadequate with low risk.”

In other words, all dams leak; there are some risks associated with all dams impounding huge lakes. Rehabilitation of Wolf Creek Dam is a success, Corps engineers have said time and time again."

Last edited:

But you have failed to explain why the Wolf Creek Dam is responsible for the rising cost of living in Nashville.
No I did NOT fail to do that, because I never intended to do that, and why would you even suggest that ? :confused:

I found this article on the Wolf Creek Dam: Wolf Creek Dam’s safety status upgraded

"DSACs, acronyms for Dam Safety Assurance Classifications, are dam safety designations ranging from DSAC 1, meaning critically near failure, to DSAC 5, meaning adequately safe with tolerable risks.

Up until June 4, Wolf Creek Dam, despite a $594 million rehabilitation, was saddled with a DSAC 1 classification, sounding critically near failure. DSAC 3, Wolf Creek Dam’s new classification, is “high priority, conditionally unsafe; significantly inadequate, or moderate to high risk.”

Despite the somewhat ominous sounding DSAC 3 classification, Bill Peoples, chief of public affairs for the Corps’ Nashville District, quoting Jimmy Waddle, chief of the Engineering-Construction Division, said upgrading Wolf Creek Dam to DSAC 3 is a “significant achievement.” Of the more than 600 dams the Corps manages in the United States, none has a DSAC rating of 5, meaning “normal, adequately safe with residual risks considered tolerable,” Peoples related. He said best of the dams, like Wolf Creek, have DSAC classifications of 3 or 4. DSAC 4 is “ ...marginally safe, inadequate with low risk.”

In other words, all dams leak; there are some risks associated with all dams impounding huge lakes. Rehabilitation of Wolf Creek Dam is a success, Corps engineers have said time and time again."
It better have upgraded, and upgraded a whole lot, because the consequences of allowing it to deteriorate would be unimaginable.

No I did NOT fail to do that, because I never intended to do that, and why would you even suggest that ? :confused:

Okay- so your thread title was a bait and switch?

Is your thread about:
a) the High cost of living in Nashville is a farce? or
b) the infrastructure issues like the Wolf Creek Dam?

Okay- so your thread title was a bait and switch?

Is your thread about:
a) the High cost of living in Nashville is a farce? or
b) the infrastructure issues like the Wolf Creek Dam?
1. No bait & switch. i have no idea where you got that from.

2. a) yes
b) yes

Forum List

Back