Nanny State: Fort Worth To Ban The Hiring Of Smokers?...

There are so many thing I enjoy about life, smoking (including tobacco leaves) is just one of them. I didn't need that Big bowl of Gumbo(and potato salad) for lunch either but I sure enjoyed it.

If you enjoy too many bowls of gumbo, you'll get fat and risk heart disease. If you smoke, you risk cancer (and some people may not want to hire you for a job).

Life is full of choices. Conservativism is living with the inevitable consequences of the choices you make, without expecting government to rescue you.

That's why I exersise daily. But then again I enjoy a really good workout too. Staying fit is a choice as well.

Man, what's going on in our Country? Why such a rush to ban everything? Don't we have enough restrictive & oppressive Laws already?

Ever been to a local business and dealt with an employee that smelled like they bathed in cigarette ash? Well lucky for you, cities across the country may start to ban the hiring of smokers.

The city of Fort Worth, Texas could soon become the first major American city to ban the hiring of smokers according to CBSDFW News. As part of Mayor Betsy Price’s goals, she aims to make Forth Worth a healthier city and has encouraged employees to find the best way to cut city costs.

Attendees of a recent Fort Worth city council meeting were briefed on a proposal that would ban the hiring of people who use tobacco.

City Manager Tom Higgins favors the proposal and believes it could help reduce city costs.

“Overall I think there was a strong belief that not only does it provide financial benefits for us and our health insurance, but to work with employees to get in a smoking cessation plan and just not to encourage it by hiring additional people,” he said.

The proposition faces a slippery legal slope.

“What is it going to be next? Is it going to be refusing to hire people who consume alcohol?” said one skeptic.

If the city decides to take action against smokers, it will be at least a month before a vote.

Read more: Dallas Fort Worth | Employment | Tobacco | The Daily Caller

I support local government! So long as they make decisions my own local government would make.

So if being overweight causes high healthcare cost too then will you support businesses and governements job restrictions based on a persons bodyfat ratio?

I support the right of employers to hire those people that they feel are best suited for the job, within the existing equal opportunity employment laws.

So, the answer is obviously yes.

For instance, I am not in favor of forcing Hooters to hire fat chicks. It would break their business model.

Last edited:
So if being overweight causes high healthcare cost too then will you support businesses and governements job restrictions based on a persons bodyfat ratio?

I support the right of employers to hire those people that they feel are best suited for the job, within the existing equal opportunity employment laws.

So, the answer is obviously yes.

For instance, I am not in favor of forcing Hooters to hire fat chicks. It would break their business model.

So I'm guessing you wouldn't be in favor of a Chubby Hooter's Guy(ugh, in short-shorts) waiting on you then?:lol:

But the question wasn't pertaining to business models......it was healthcare cost.

So I'm guessing you wouldn't be in favor of a Chubby Hooter's Guy(ugh, in short-shorts) waiting on you then?:lol:

But the question wasn't pertaining to business models......it was healthcare cost.

It doesn't matter. There is not an innate right to employment. An employer in most states can terminate employees--at will--and hire the person they believe best suited for the job.

And, since it's their company, that's their right (as long as they are within the limits of the law).

Fat is not a protected class. Smoking is not a protected behavior. Both of those are personal choices which may have adverse effects on the people who make them.

People don't choose to be black or female. They do choose to smoke and be fat. Personal choices are not protected from discrimination.

If you don't like the costs associated with your personal lifestyle choices, sack up. If you choose to smoke, don't bitch about employers who don't want to hire you. It's your choice to smoke.

Similarly, if you want your birth control paid for by your employer, choose to seek employment with employers who aren't religious in nature.

If you want your lifestyle choices to be your own, don't get a job with an employer who cares about this stuff.

Life is all about choices. Don't bitch when your choices have negative effects. After all, you are the person who made them.

Last edited:
I have no problem with smokers as long as they do not cost me $$$.
But most of the smokers I know smell like an ash tray and they are either smoking or shaking waiting for when they can find a place to pollute to smoke their next one.
Whenever I get a case that goes to trial the bailiffs and I always have a cash pool to pick who in the jury pool will be the first one to go immediately outside to smoke.
Fairly easy to spot them. They start to shake and fidget about 2 hours into the voir dire.

But it's okay for me to pay extra $$$ for people to be able to fuck.

No. WTF does that have to do with smokers and employment?
S........................................T..........................................R.........................E..............................T...................................C......................................................................H

Man, what's going on in our Country? Why such a rush to ban everything? Don't we have enough restrictive & oppressive Laws already?

Ever been to a local business and dealt with an employee that smelled like they bathed in cigarette ash? Well lucky for you, cities across the country may start to ban the hiring of smokers.

The city of Fort Worth, Texas could soon become the first major American city to ban the hiring of smokers according to CBSDFW News. As part of Mayor Betsy Price’s goals, she aims to make Forth Worth a healthier city and has encouraged employees to find the best way to cut city costs.

Attendees of a recent Fort Worth city council meeting were briefed on a proposal that would ban the hiring of people who use tobacco.

City Manager Tom Higgins favors the proposal and believes it could help reduce city costs.

“Overall I think there was a strong belief that not only does it provide financial benefits for us and our health insurance, but to work with employees to get in a smoking cessation plan and just not to encourage it by hiring additional people,” he said.

“What is it going to be next? Is it going to be refusing to hire people who consume alcohol?” said one skeptic.

If the city decides to take action against smokers, it will be at least a month before a vote.

I would doubt that this would stand up to a legal challenge. Also pretty dumb.

Actually very smart. Smokers are a drain on health care costs.
There is no right to smoke.

Actually very smart. Smokers are a drain on health care costs.
There is no right to smoke.

Smoking is not illegal. It is also stupid in my eyes, but it is not illegal. And to ban people from employment based on legal activities they enjoy in their private life is blatant discrimination.

Does not have to be illegal. Being fat is not illegal.
In my county the insurance carrier provided this county with a wellness program premium quote for the workforce in this county which is over 10,000. Their premium quote was ONE HALF of what it is now IF the county would initiate a non smoking policy amongst the workers and implement a weight loss program over 18 months.
Included in that is a quit smoking program FOR FREE for all of the workers.
This is what the health care industry is going to nationwide and I fully support it.
And then the insurance company initiated a free analysis of ALL county employees with nurses evaluating each employee.
48% were obese. 17% smoked. 32% were on some form of prescription medicine for them being out of shape and over weight.
So if government OFFERS their employees a way to get healthy and save the county millions of dollars on health care premiums and the employees REJECT IT then the taxpayers can reject that employee and future employees that are over weight, unhealthy, eat prescription dope as candy and smoke.
The plan gives them 18 months and is free. The obese and prescription takers can have a doctors report of progress and keep their job. A positive attitude is the key as some folks need longer.
The wave of the future. Wellness programs. Please join us.

Does not have to be illegal. Being fat is not illegal.
In my county the insurance carrier provided this county with a wellness program premium quote for the workforce in this county which is over 10,000. Their premium quote was ONE HALF of what it is now IF the county would initiate a non smoking policy amongst the workers and implement a weight loss program over 18 months.
Included in that is a quit smoking program FOR FREE for all of the workers.
This is what the health care industry is going to nationwide and I fully support it.
And then the insurance company initiated a free analysis of ALL county employees with nurses evaluating each employee.
48% were obese. 17% smoked. 32% were on some form of prescription medicine for them being out of shape and over weight.
So if government OFFERS their employees a way to get healthy and save the county millions of dollars on health care premiums and the employees REJECT IT then the taxpayers can reject that employee and future employees that are over weight, unhealthy, eat prescription dope as candy and smoke.
The plan gives them 18 months and is free. The obese and prescription takers can have a doctors report of progress and keep their job. A positive attitude is the key as some folks need longer.
The wave of the future. Wellness programs. Please join us.

So do you feel a city should be able to decide that they won't hire people who are overweight?

It's just amazing so many can actually cheerlead for Government & Corporations controlling their private personal lives. What the Hell is wrong with this Country? How did we get to this point? Maybe this explains it?...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okPnDZ1Txlo]SCHOOL SUCKS: The American Way - YouTube[/ame]

Many on this Board really need to pay close attention to the 5:00 Minute mark of the video. It could help. I hope so anyway.

It's just amazing so many can actually cheerlead for Government & Corporations controlling their private personal lives. What the Hell is wrong with this Country? How did we get to this point? Maybe this explains it?...

SCHOOL SUCKS: The American Way - YouTube

NO ONE is forcing anyone to do anything.
So how is that control.
You can always go to where you ask "do you want fries with that" and find work if you want to continue to be a burden to the health care costs of taxpayers.
Your choice. But if you make a bad one be a man and take responsibility for it instead of acting like a 5 year old blaming someone else.
"Mommy, it is government and corporations fault.
Make them stop Mommy! Whaaaaaaaaaa........"

So how is that control.
You can always go to where you ask "do you want fries with that" and find work if you want to continue to be a burden to the health care costs of taxpayers.
Your choice. But if you make a bad one be a man and take responsibility for it instead of acting like a 5 year old blaming someone else.

Stop Goose Stepping. Government & Corporations should stay out of Citizens' private personal lives. I don't care what their justifications are. To Hell with em.

So how is that control.

Stop Goose Stepping. Government & Corporations should stay out of Citizens' private personal lives. I don't care what their justifications are. To Hell with em.

If I pay your salary you go by my rules.

Did you ever play any sports or were involved in ANY activity where there were rules?
Nothing about your bull shit "goose stepping" crap.
You are undisciplined and cry when someone tells you something to do.
There are consequences in a free society to your actions. Get used to it.
If you do not like it move to Utopia.

So how is that control.

If I pay your salary you go by my rules.

Did you ever play any sports or were involved in ANY activity where there were rules?
Nothing about your bull shit "goose stepping" crap.
You are undisciplined and cry when someone tells you something to do.
There are consequences in a free society to your actions. Get used to it.
If you do not like it move to Utopia.

Always the good little Nazi huh? But i do understand. You just don't know any better. Goose Stepping is all you know. You really should watch the video i posted. It might help you understand yourself a bit better. It may even help you change. Who knows?

Last edited:
I thought Fort Worth was a city?

If a limited liability corporation were to decide not to hire smokers, you'd be jumping in to defend their rights, and I probably wouldn't give you any crap about it. Can a city government do the same? What do the taxpayers of Fort Worth think about the city trying to reduce costs?

For once, I have to agree with you. I don't like the idea of any company banning the hiring of people who smoke (and for the record, I do not smoke never have except to be cool for one week at the age of 13) but, I believe that the company has the right to do so if it so desires.

Nor do I like city or state governments requiring restaurants and bars to ban smoking on their premises. Those business have the right to do so if they so choose, but should not be forced to do so.

Immie

But it's okay for me to pay extra $$$ for people to be able to fuck.

WTF are you on about? :lol:

People farking sure appears to piss you off.

Not at all, really, but I knew I'd touch a nerve.
:razz:

We all pay premiums that cover all sorts of others' behaviors.
That's the cost of coverage, plain and simple.
For GaDawg to refuse to pay higher premiums for smokers is just as ridiculous as our most recent contraceptive debates.

:D

And the funny thing is that he probably pays those higher rates whether or not he hires smokers. Insurance companies spread the costs out for all policies, so even if he will not hire smokers he is still paying the higher premiums.

Maybe I am wrong, but I don't think you get a "discount" for being a non-smoking office.

Immie

Forum List

Back