Nanny State: Fort Worth To Ban The Hiring Of Smokers?...

Do they deny welfare and food stamp people the right to smoke? They should. I will make some calls tomorrow to get the ball rolling on this if it's not already law. They shouldn't be spending money on any kind of non-essential as long as they are living on someone else's dime.

So many Goose Steppers these days. And that really is very sad. Corporations and Government are clearly over-stepping and encroaching into Citizens' personal lives more than ever before. I'll never understand why so many dutifully defend them. So how much more will the People take? I guess we'll see.

If you smoke I will fire your ass.
Just accept it and get used to it.
Cry like a baby about it with your phony claims that I am "encroaching" into your life but I am the boss and I pay the salaries.
That is the problem with Americans today. They want to do their own thing and have someone else be responsible for the consequences.

NO CRY BABIES.

How Totalitarian of you. :(

So many Goose Steppers these days. And that really is very sad. Corporations and Government are clearly over-stepping and encroaching into Citizens' personal lives more than ever before. I'll never understand why so many dutifully defend them. So how much more will the People take? I guess we'll see.

If you smoke I will fire your ass.
Just accept it and get used to it.
Cry like a baby about it with your phony claims that I am "encroaching" into your life but I am the boss and I pay the salaries.
That is the problem with Americans today. They want to do their own thing and have someone else be responsible for the consequences.

NO CRY BABIES.

How Totalitarian of you. :(

Rank has it's privileges.

Life is like a dog sled team Moe.
If you ain't the lead dog, the scenery NEVER changes.
Totally dude, totally.

I have no problem with smokers as long as they do not cost me $$$.
But most of the smokers I know smell like an ash tray and they are either smoking or shaking waiting for when they can find a place to pollute to smoke their next one.
Whenever I get a case that goes to trial the bailiffs and I always have a cash pool to pick who in the jury pool will be the first one to go immediately outside to smoke.
Fairly easy to spot them. They start to shake and fidget about 2 hours into the voir dire.

But most of the smokers I know smell like an ash tray and they are either smoking or shaking waiting for when they can find a place to pollute to smoke their next one.
Whenever I get a case that goes to trial the bailiffs and I always have a cash pool to pick who in the jury pool will be the first one to go immediately outside to smoke.
Fairly easy to spot them. They start to shake and fidget about 2 hours into the voir dire.

But it's okay for me to pay extra $$$ for people to be able to fuck.

WTF are you on about? :lol:

People farking sure appears to piss you off.

Not at all, really, but I knew I'd touch a nerve.
:razz:

We all pay premiums that cover all sorts of others' behaviors.
That's the cost of coverage, plain and simple.
For GaDawg to refuse to pay higher premiums for smokers is just as ridiculous as our most recent contraceptive debates.

:D

Yes.

I thought Fort Worth was a city?

If a limited liability corporation were to decide not to hire smokers, you'd be jumping in to defend their rights, and I probably wouldn't give you any crap about it. Can a city government do the same? What do the taxpayers of Fort Worth think about the city trying to reduce costs?

The government can't discriminate, private businesses can.

The government isn't a private entity nor is it a business - its (supposed to be) a non profit service...

It's not like you can boycott the government because you disagree with their position - but you certainly can boycott a private business if you don't agree with their position on an issue.

This is blatant discrimination on behalf of the government...

Besides, its NONE OF THE GOVERNMENTS GODDAMN BUSINESS WHAT PEOPLE INGEST.

What are they going to do next? ban fat people or force fat people to go on a diet??

Who the fuck do theses people think they are????

This is blatant fascism....

"Oh I'm sorry you can't have a job because you smoke."

What ever happened to "equal opportunity employment?" I suppose that only applies to minorities, gays and Muslims.....

Here's the important question IMO. How are they going to determine who smokes on their own time? Will there be testing? Will people be denied hiring or fired because of the smell of smoke? If the employers don't see a person smoking, how do they determine they are a smoker?

As someone else said, if it's such a problem tobacco should be made illegal. Instead, the government wants to somehow both gather a ton of taxes from tobacco yet push people into not smoking at the same time. When few enough people are smokers that the income isn't significant, we'll probably see tobacco made illegal.

Personal antecdote here:

My father, a smoker, died two weeks ago at the age of 76 of a massive heart attack. Most likely, the cigarettes contributed to his death (although heart disease runs in his family).

Let's just say that our family took comfort in the fact that he died so quickly. He was not the type of man who wanted to live to 85 in a nursing home with a colostomy bag. That is not what he considered "living".

Is this where we're headed? Do we really want to live to be 100? Is that the government's goal? Smokers die early. Believe it or not, THEY SAVE THE GOVERNMENT MONEY!

I want to go the same way as my dad. Good grief.

Actually, there is a Vanderbilt study that shows smokers cost less in the long run than non smokers. Few live to be 76, though, as most die in their 50s. I don't think I have a smoker over 65 in my patient population. However, I will add that a person's employer provided insurance would not be paying for anything beyond retirement, so end of life care is moot. Nursing home is moot anyway because long term care is a separate option in cafeteria plans. Lung cancer, however, would not be moot. My husband died of cancer , but not lung cancer. His was still smoking related. He was 38, employed, and his employer provided health care paid out big bucks. He didn't live long enough to lose the insurance as would have happened if he had been diagnosed sooner. So smoking IS relevant to the employee/employer health care scene for the 40 - 50 year old crowd.

Holy shit. My grandfather died at the age of 81, smoked since he was 12. My father is now 79, he did take about 15 year off of smoking when he started the family but always smoked a pipe. Then switched back to cigarettes after the kids grew up. I have no plans of giving anything I smoke up. I excersise, eat right, get plenty of sleep, held the same job for 15 years. I'm gonna die someday but at least I've enjoyed the ride.

You enjoyed the ride because you smoke? I won't argue with anyone's right to smoke; I did it for over 30 years. What I will argue with is the idea that you need to smoke to enjoy life. Most smokers will tell you that they really enjoy smoking. Funny thing happens when they quit though; they usually find out the only thing they really enjoyed about smoking was the nicotine fix it gave them.

Once you understand that you can breath easier, that your food tastes better, and that your clothes and house smell so much better, all of a sudden you realize that you really didn't like smoking as much as you thought.

Actually, there is a Vanderbilt study that shows smokers cost less in the long run than non smokers. Few live to be 76, though, as most die in their 50s. I don't think I have a smoker over 65 in my patient population. However, I will add that a person's employer provided insurance would not be paying for anything beyond retirement, so end of life care is moot. Nursing home is moot anyway because long term care is a separate option in cafeteria plans. Lung cancer, however, would not be moot. My husband died of cancer , but not lung cancer. His was still smoking related. He was 38, employed, and his employer provided health care paid out big bucks. He didn't live long enough to lose the insurance as would have happened if he had been diagnosed sooner. So smoking IS relevant to the employee/employer health care scene for the 40 - 50 year old crowd.

Holy shit. My grandfather died at the age of 81, smoked since he was 12. My father is now 79, he did take about 15 year off of smoking when he started the family but always smoked a pipe. Then switched back to cigarettes after the kids grew up. I have no plans of giving anything I smoke up. I excersise, eat right, get plenty of sleep, held the same job for 15 years. I'm gonna die someday but at least I've enjoyed the ride.

You enjoyed the ride because you smoke? I won't argue with anyone's right to smoke; I did it for over 30 years. What I will argue with is the idea that you need to smoke to enjoy life. Most smokers will tell you that they really enjoy smoking. Funny thing happens when they quit though; they usually find out the only thing they really enjoyed about smoking was the nicotine fix it gave them.

Once you understand that you can breath easier, that your food tastes better, and that your clothes and house smell so much better, all of a sudden you realize that you really didn't like smoking as much as you thought.

There are so many thing I enjoy about life, smoking (including tobacco leaves) is just one of them. I didn't need that Big bowl of Gumbo(and potato salad) for lunch either but I sure enjoyed it.

Of course they can.

IT IS NONE OF THE GOVERNMENTS GODDAMN BUSINESS WHAT PEOPLE INGEST.

People who get high or drunk can be a safety risk on the job. If smoking causes everyone else's insurance costs to rise, then a government can certainly refuse to hire smokers.

What ever happened to "equal opportunity employment?" I suppose that only applies to minorities, gays and Muslims.....

Race, gender, ethnicity, and religion are protected...discrimination on the basis of any of these factors is prohibited. Smoking is voluntary. It isn't protected from discrimination (and shouldn't be).

There are so many thing I enjoy about life, smoking (including tobacco leaves) is just one of them. I didn't need that Big bowl of Gumbo(and potato salad) for lunch either but I sure enjoyed it.

If you enjoy too many bowls of gumbo, you'll get fat and risk heart disease. If you smoke, you risk cancer (and some people may not want to hire you for a job).

Life is full of choices. Conservativism is living with the inevitable consequences of the choices you make, without expecting government to rescue you.

Of course they can.

IT IS NONE OF THE GOVERNMENTS GODDAMN BUSINESS WHAT PEOPLE INGEST.

People who get high or drunk can be a safety risk on the job. If smoking causes everyone else's insurance costs to rise, then a government can certainly refuse to hire smokers.

Race, gender, ethnicity, and religion are protected...discrimination on the basis of any of these factors is prohibited. Smoking is voluntary. It isn't protected from discrimination (and shouldn't be).

So if being overweight causes high healthcare cost too then will you support businesses and governements job restrictions based on a persons bodyfat ratio?

Forum List

Back