Nail in the friggin coffin for Crist

Here in the Portland area they don't need to play games with the yellow in order to make tons of money off of folks who run through red lights. The way folks drive here, it will be a perpetual money maker.

I don't think they should game the system to make money, but something really needs to be done to stop the really bad practice here. The regular cops aren't up to it. Robocops will have to do it for them.

you sound like a totalitarian.

Crist signs Fla. bill legalizing red light cameras TCPalm.com

TALLAHASSEE — Red light cameras will be fully legal in Florida as of July 1.

Gov. Charlie Crist on Thursday signed a new law that authorizes the cameras as enforcement devices.
Fuck you Crist. Fuck you very much.

...and no. I've never gotten a ticket from one of those things. I just think that all they actually can make an intersection less safe, and open up all kinds of possibilities for the government to fleece their citizens.
Tampa news 10 did a piece on those cameras, last week.
They cost so much to have, they need to give out tickets just to break even.

Rubio in 2010 :D
Here's the story I was looking for, Radioman. It wasn't Tampa 10, it was Fox 13 Tampa.

The company behind the cameras is American Traffic Solutions based in Arizona. It struck a deal with the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office. ATS agreed to pay significant start up costs and install cameras at six busy intersections. Under the terms of this contract with Hillsborough County, the company collects $4,750 each month for each camera.
With ten cameras in Hillsborough County, ATS gets $47,500 off the top each month.
Check out this camera that took in loads of cash because you can't see the Green Arrow in the shot.

Company gets cut from red-light cameras

This whole issue reminds me of the immigration controversy in AZ. People have gotten away with breaking the law forever, the government wants to ensure that the existing law is enforced and brings a new tool aboard to accomplish that goal, and the public cries foul!

This whole issue reminds me of the immigration controversy in AZ. People have gotten away with breaking the law forever, the government wants to ensure that the existing law is enforced and brings a new tool aboard to accomplish that goal, and the public cries foul!

The same people who want the laws enforced against illegal immigrants do not want red light laws enforced against them.

Should we pull the cameras off the US/Mexico border?

Send a message to Washington that we are sick and tired of the divisive Democrat/Republican politics.

Washington is a dysfunctional as you can get.

Look at the UK, they brought together conservatives and liberals to create a government. We could learn from such cooperation.

Actually, no.

If the manipulation was not occurring to increase offenders, and if the cameras actually made things safer, then I would be for them.

Here in the Portland area they don't need to play games with the yellow in order to make tons of money off of folks who run through red lights. The way folks drive here, it will be a perpetual money maker.

I don't think they should game the system to make money, but something really needs to be done to stop the really bad practice here. The regular cops aren't up to it. Robocops will have to do it for them.

I hope I sound more like a guy who does not like the idea of getting run over by freaks who can't obey the rational rules of the road. Running a red is not like a basic human right or anything.

There does seem to be a consensus that various public officials game the rules in a dangerous manner. I am pretty glad to see anyone who endangers public safety in order to make a fast buck see some jail time.

I hope I sound more like a guy who does not like the idea of getting run over by freaks who can't obey the rational rules of the road. Running a red is not like a basic human right or anything.

There does seem to be a consensus that various public officials game the rules in a dangerous manner. I am pretty glad to see anyone who endangers public safety in order to make a fast buck see some jail time.

And that's the thing. My ONLY objection to the red light cameras used to catch law breakers is that there is no way to dispute or mediate a bad call. At least with a cop you can explain that you were getting out of the way of the fire truck or that you had a right turn signal or whatever. You can't 'splain nuthin to that camera nor can it tesify on your behalf later. But if it saves lives, I'll take that risk.

I DO object to politicians who use the cameras as a revenue source rather than to increase public safety.

People slamming on brakes waaaay early, the instant the light turns yellow, afraid that they're going to get a ticket. When in actuality they and another car could have gone through OK. Also, redlight camera companies have been proven, with the local government's permission and blessing, to actually SHORTEN the length of time of a yellow light. Then it really makes the situation less safe, and all about the revenues for the government.

Then there's the video from an intersection in LA, watch as it turns from yellow to red:

YouTube - Los Angeles' Right-Turn Red Light Camera Trap

The blue car got a ticket. And the timing of the light was done on purpose to maximize revenue.

i see what you mean. i guess we're just used to it here. i can't tell you what i do to my breaks b/c of how fast the yellow lights are. i don't like it, but i don't think we have much of a problem with rear-end collisions because of it. on the other hand... maybe we do. i never really thought about it.

They got rid of red light cameras in Charlotte three years ago because they found they were causing accidents.

Let me know when a pedestrian can cross a street in 4/10ths of a second.

Epic fail on your part.

At first I thought you were just being stupid, but you're from the south so its expected. But since that simple explanation flew over your head, let me make it easier for you. When the red light in front of the blue car was red, the pedestrians (there were none presently) are allowed to cross the street which he would have been turning onto. Fortunately there were no pedestrians.

This is exactly what I meant when I say they need things like this shit. People really need to start learning the laws of driving so I could get where the fuck I needed to without people fucking up every 5 minutes.

More epic fail.

He had green (allowed to turn), then yellow (still allowed to turn), then red for 4/10ths of a second (not allowed to turn), then green (allowed to turn).

So once again....how those pedestrians in the other crosswalk going to cross in 4/10ths of a second?

Continue with your epic fail...

What? I don't have to argue this with you, i've been up and down sunset and hollywood blvd enough to know those lights. When it was green, pedestrians can legally walk across the street he turned onto, when it was yellow it would have been flashing but they can STILL CROSS. They aren't supposed to STOP crossing until it's actually GREEN. That's why it flashes red, to tell the car to STOP and not roll through the intersection in case there are extra pedestrians still walking.

Like I said, I don't know why people are upset about this anyway, people should just stop fucking breaking the law driving. They don't get where they need to be faster because there are always a bunch of similar douches pulling similarly illegal moves that back up the 110 and 10 all the fucking time -_-.

I really have a vendetta against poor drivers, and of all the things I've loved about LA, driving is not one of them there.

Florida GOP puts Charlie Crist painting on eBay

As promised by John Thrasher, the state GOP has put Charlie Crist's portrait on eBay. See here. "Help the Republican Party of FL Get our Money Back!" is the description. And:

★Canvas is naturally sensitive to changes of temperature and humidity, just as the Charlie Crist’s political convictions are subject to fluctuations in poll numbers.

★Depending upon variety of conditions, the stretch canvas may periodically lose and regain tautness, much like Charlie Crist periodically loosens or regains positions on a variety of issues.

★Ornate gold frame made of manufactured wood, similar to the fabricated conservative values of the politician depicted within.

Here's the background on how ousted GOP executive director Delmar Johnson bought oil paintings of himself, Crist and Jim Greer.

Florida GOP puts Charlie Crist painting on eBay

Someone mentioned invasion of privacy. First off, how much privacy do you think you have when you are on public property? Second, if a camera taking your picture in public as you drive through a red light is an invasion of privacy, how is it not an invasion of privacy for a cop to watch you drive through a red light?

They sell a product that renders the cameras useless....
can002.jpg
Exercise your right to privacy and purchase a can....
Stop Photo Cops - Photoblocker License Plate Spray. Block Your Plates From Traffic Cameras

I can't believe people don't riot in the streets over those red light cameras.

Talk about invasion of privacy. Cameras everywhere. It's very disturbing.

You citizen-slaves don't want legitimate freedom, legitimate laws, legitimate anything that is why.

At first I thought you were just being stupid, but you're from the south so its expected. But since that simple explanation flew over your head, let me make it easier for you. When the red light in front of the blue car was red, the pedestrians (there were none presently) are allowed to cross the street which he would have been turning onto. Fortunately there were no pedestrians.

This is exactly what I meant when I say they need things like this shit. People really need to start learning the laws of driving so I could get where the fuck I needed to without people fucking up every 5 minutes.

More epic fail.

He had green (allowed to turn), then yellow (still allowed to turn), then red for 4/10ths of a second (not allowed to turn), then green (allowed to turn).

So once again....how those pedestrians in the other crosswalk going to cross in 4/10ths of a second?

Continue with your epic fail...

What? I don't have to argue this with you.

Thats cuz you can't.

Cuz you're absolutely wrong.

But nice try :thup:

Forum List

Back