N.O.W.: Tebow ad celebrates violence against women

She had complications during pregnancy and the MD taking care of her suggested she abort her baby. Which she did not.

Wasn't it FoF that promoted the backstory, made sure it got out as an "abortion" thing?

I think the term "losing the baby" is entirely disingenuous in this case, as she was never in danger of "losing" him, there was no imminent miscarriage and heroic measures were there?

Nope, only a woman who CHOSE not to act on certain medical advice. SHE had a choice, SHE made a choice. BIG FUCKING DEAL, but dishonesty from FoF.

So, ultimately, it was a Pro-Choice Ad.

I would think, although I KNOW that was not what Focus on the Family intended it to be.

Lots and lots of women choose to go against medical advice, and choose to try to carry a child to term. Sometimes it is a herioc thing, and sometimes everything goes along quite normally..... and all is well.

Who among the estimated 106.5 million television viewers – and the untold millions more who have seen it on YouTube and other outlets – could possibly be upset with the image of a happy, active family?

The National Organization for Women, that's who.

NOW President Terry O'Neill said the Tebow ad – I couldn't make this up – glorifies violence against women.

"I am blown away at the celebration of the violence against women in it," she said. "That's what comes across to me even more strongly than the anti-abortion message. I myself am a survivor of domestic violence, and I don't find it charming. I think CBS should be ashamed of itself."

Henderson: NOW's take on Tebow ad trivializes real problems

N.O.W. has officially joined the ranks of the lunatic fringe.

Focus on the Family is a LOSER site for LOSER rednecks. Who the hell cares what they think!

Tebow: one more jock that will in time have mush between his ears instead of a functioning brain.....

If he was really all that smart, or his mommy was, she would have raised him to get a real job! Oh, well, I guess he can always go to preaching, it don't take much brains to do that!

I bet Tim (and I hate the Fla Gators) has a bigger IQ than you and has a better chance of becoming someone you can only dream of being.

Here is your typical liberal. They are so jealous that someone whom is smarter, better chance at success and will actually make a difference in the world because they will never measure up to half the person of whom they hate.

Henderson: NOW's take on Tebow ad trivializes real problems

N.O.W. has officially joined the ranks of the lunatic fringe.

Focus on the Family is a LOSER site for LOSER rednecks. Who the hell cares what they think!

Tebow: one more jock that will in time have mush between his ears instead of a functioning brain.....

If he was really all that smart, or his mommy was, she would have raised him to get a real job! Oh, well, I guess he can always go to preaching, it don't take much brains to do that!

I bet Tim (and I hate the Fla Gators) has a bigger IQ than you and has a better chance of becoming someone you can only dream of being.

Here is your typical liberal. They are so jealous that someone whom is smarter, better chance at success and will actually make a difference in the world because they will never measure up to half the person of whom they hate.

Yeah, the Liberals are the Education/Culture haters. :lol::lol::lol:

Contessa sounds anti-choice to me. She is agianst people making their own decisions with their bodies. Or am I wrong contessa? I'm just picking up that impression from your posts, maybe your post misrepresents your position.

Anti-choice and anti-free speech. She seems to think that views she opposes have no right to voiced.

You and others are free to voice whatever, and I am free to tell ya ´bout it when i don´t like those opinions!

As for the -choice issue- if you are referring to abortion, my personal belief is that abortion is to greater and lesser and at times very great degrees an act of desperation on the part of a woman. I think that if women had more options related to keeping and raising their children there would be more who would opt for that.

I am pro choice that abortion be available when it comes to situations of rape and incest, and life of the mother, but I also believe that whenever possible, that should be dealt with in the first trimester. Can a mother raise a child of either rape or incest and both of them be emotionally healthy- there comes a tme of a child learning of their origins- is a woman strong enough to handle that? A child given for adoption goes to find a parent, and the truth comes out- what do you tell a child to make it right? As for the threat to life of the mother, only she can make that decision, a hard choice. A few brave souls would choose the child's life over their own, but how many are that strong?

I think this is an area where the law should never say which way one should go, the decision is too personal and should be between the woman and her doctor, her other care providers, and in some cases, the father, based on her own personal situation. I don't think a woman should ever be forced by financial desperation and emotional coercion to think that abortion is the only option.

Brain Damage and Football Players

Football And Progressive Brain Damage: Tom McHale Of NFL Suffered From Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy When He Died In 2008

How dangerous is football? Lisa McHale, widow of Tom McHale, said, "What's even more disturbing to me, and the reason I am here, is that Tom is not alone. His is now the sixth confirmed case of CTE among former professional football players. Bearing in mind that only six former players, over the age of 25, have been tested for CTE, I find these results to be not only incredibly significant, but profoundly disturbing. And I just can't conceive of anyone thinking otherwise. I have 9 and 11-year-old boys who are just beginning to play Pop Warner football. In light of Tom's situation and the findings on the high school football player with the initial evidence of CTE, I now question their involvement in a sport that had been so important in our lives."

ScienceDaily (Jan. 27, 2009) — Leading medical experts at the Center for the Study of Traumatic Encephalopathy (CSTE) at Boston University School of Medicine (BUSM) reported today that nine-year NFL veteran, former Tampa Bay Buccaneer Tom McHale was suffering from chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE), a degenerative brain disease caused by head trauma, when he died in 2008 at the age of 45.

In addition, the CSTE has discovered early evidence of CTE in the youngest case to date, a recently deceased 18-year-old boy who suffered multiple concussions in high school football.

McHale, a Cornell University graduate, former restaurateur, husband and father of three boys, is the sixth former NFL player to be diagnosed post-mortem with CTE since 2002. CTE, a progressive neurodegenerative disease caused by repetitive trauma to the brain, is characterized by the build-up of a toxic protein called tau in the form of neurofibrillary tangles (NFTs) and neuropil threads (NTs) throughout the brain. The abnormal protein initially impairs the normal functioning of the brain and eventually kills brain cells. Early on, CTE sufferers may display clinical symptoms such as memory impairment, emotional instability, erratic behavior, depression and problems with impulse control. However, CTE eventually progresses to full-blown dementia. McHale died due to a drug overdose after a multi-year battle with addiction. Expert consensus is that drug abuse of any kind would never cause the neuropathological findings of CTE seen in McHale.

The other former NFL players diagnosed with CTE are former Pittsburgh Steelers Mike Webster, Terry Long and Justin Strzelczyk, along with Andre Waters and John Grimsley. Waters and Long committed suicide. Grimsley, an avid and experienced gunsman, died in 2008 from a self-inflicted gunshot wound that the medical examiner ruled as accidental. All six NFL CTE sufferers died by the age of 50. Damien Nash, who died in 2007 at the age of 24, is the only former NFL player to be examined neuropathologically and not have CTE. Chris Nowinski, co-founder of the non-profit Sports Legacy Institute (SLI), explained, "This means that six of six deceased former NFL players between the ages of 25 and 50 have had severe brain damage that, if they had lived, would have developed into debilitating dementia."

According to Ann McKee, MD, CSTE co-director and a leading neuropathologist who specializes in degenerative brain diseases, "CTE has been described for approximately 80 years. Initially referred to as dementia pugilistica because of the boxers that were originally studied, CTE is now being seen in other athletes. Although the neuropathological findings of CTE are, in some ways, similar to those we see in Alzheimer's disease, they represent a distinct disease with a distinct cause, namely repetitive head trauma." McKee conducted the neuropathological analysis on the brains of both Grimsley and McHale. Her findings of significant CTE in their brains were independently confirmed by E. Tessa Hedley-Whyte, MD, professor of pathology at Harvard Medical School and a neuropathologist at Massachusetts General Hospital.

Football And Progressive Brain Damage: Tom McHale Of NFL Suffered From Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy When He Died In 2008

My apologies for being rude, it's just that these liberal clowns haven't warranted any respect and in the heat of the moment I forgot who I was responding to.

Your apology is much appreciated, my fine friend.

BTW, aren't I a "liberal clown"?

Actually I don't think you're a clown and I'm not sure just how liberal you are. Some of your post makes sense, my guess is if you do consider yourself a liberal then you lean more center than left. Which is always a good thing.

Actually, I consider myself a centrist, but I have been labeled a liberal.

How dangerous is football? Lisa McHale, widow of Tom McHale, said, "What's even more disturbing to me, and the reason I am here, is that Tom is not alone. His is now the sixth confirmed case of CTE among former professional football players. Bearing in mind that only six former players, over the age of 25, have been tested for CTE, I find these results to be not only incredibly significant, but profoundly disturbing. And I just can't conceive of anyone thinking otherwise. I have 9 and 11-year-old boys who are just beginning to play Pop Warner football. In light of Tom's situation and the findings on the high school football player with the initial evidence of CTE, I now question their involvement in a sport that had been so important in our lives."

ScienceDaily (Jan. 27, 2009) — Leading medical experts at the Center for the Study of Traumatic Encephalopathy (CSTE) at Boston University School of Medicine (BUSM) reported today that nine-year NFL veteran, former Tampa Bay Buccaneer Tom McHale was suffering from chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE), a degenerative brain disease caused by head trauma, when he died in 2008 at the age of 45.

In addition, the CSTE has discovered early evidence of CTE in the youngest case to date, a recently deceased 18-year-old boy who suffered multiple concussions in high school football.

McHale, a Cornell University graduate, former restaurateur, husband and father of three boys, is the sixth former NFL player to be diagnosed post-mortem with CTE since 2002. CTE, a progressive neurodegenerative disease caused by repetitive trauma to the brain, is characterized by the build-up of a toxic protein called tau in the form of neurofibrillary tangles (NFTs) and neuropil threads (NTs) throughout the brain. The abnormal protein initially impairs the normal functioning of the brain and eventually kills brain cells. Early on, CTE sufferers may display clinical symptoms such as memory impairment, emotional instability, erratic behavior, depression and problems with impulse control. However, CTE eventually progresses to full-blown dementia. McHale died due to a drug overdose after a multi-year battle with addiction. Expert consensus is that drug abuse of any kind would never cause the neuropathological findings of CTE seen in McHale.

The other former NFL players diagnosed with CTE are former Pittsburgh Steelers Mike Webster, Terry Long and Justin Strzelczyk, along with Andre Waters and John Grimsley. Waters and Long committed suicide. Grimsley, an avid and experienced gunsman, died in 2008 from a self-inflicted gunshot wound that the medical examiner ruled as accidental. All six NFL CTE sufferers died by the age of 50. Damien Nash, who died in 2007 at the age of 24, is the only former NFL player to be examined neuropathologically and not have CTE. Chris Nowinski, co-founder of the non-profit Sports Legacy Institute (SLI), explained, "This means that six of six deceased former NFL players between the ages of 25 and 50 have had severe brain damage that, if they had lived, would have developed into debilitating dementia."

According to Ann McKee, MD, CSTE co-director and a leading neuropathologist who specializes in degenerative brain diseases, "CTE has been described for approximately 80 years. Initially referred to as dementia pugilistica because of the boxers that were originally studied, CTE is now being seen in other athletes. Although the neuropathological findings of CTE are, in some ways, similar to those we see in Alzheimer's disease, they represent a distinct disease with a distinct cause, namely repetitive head trauma." McKee conducted the neuropathological analysis on the brains of both Grimsley and McHale. Her findings of significant CTE in their brains were independently confirmed by E. Tessa Hedley-Whyte, MD, professor of pathology at Harvard Medical School and a neuropathologist at Massachusetts General Hospital.

Everyone knows that football is a full contact sport and injuries can and do occur. So what's your point?

Those guys should have worn helmets!

When it doesnt fix your illogical views you attack and try to belittle just like your libtard buddy did.

Tim is a very bright kid yet your idiot liberal friend seems to think he is smarter even after playing football. He will never measure up to the man Tim is so he must try to degrade his achievements.

When it doesnt fix your illogical views you attack and try to belittle just like your libtard buddy did.

Tim is a very bright kid yet your idiot liberal friend seems to think he is smarter even after playing football. He will never measure up to the man Tim is so he must try to degrade his achievements.

And you know he won't measure up to Tim....how? He may be a 20 year military veteran. He may be a Dr. or a PhD, or a policeman or fireman.

How do you know he won't measure up to a boy who gets paid to play a game?

It was a pro-choice ad.
NAG's and the Pro-deather's don't like the choice.

This is not a DEATH PENALTY discussion. Pro Death Penalty folks need to start their own thread!

And NO, the COLTS wil NOT be summarily executed for losing at the S. B.

To me, those DEATH PENALTY types are really totally creepy!

So football players have an excuse for being retarded. Whats yours?

Speaking of the lunatic fringe does anyone find it strange that my favorite animal rights group has not blasted the second place winner who by the way was an amateur film maker for using a shock collar on a dog. P.E.T.A. must be a sleep at the wheel. See if I send them any bad checks anymore:evil:

Contessa sounds anti-choice to me. She is agianst people making their own decisions with their bodies. Or am I wrong contessa? I'm just picking up that impression from your posts, maybe your post misrepresents your position.

Anti-choice and anti-free speech. She seems to think that views she opposes have no right to voiced.

You and others are free to voice whatever, and I am free to tell ya ´bout it when i don´t like those opinions!

As for the -choice issue- if you are referring to abortion, my personal belief is that abortion is to greater and lesser and at times very great degrees an act of desperation on the part of a woman. I think that if women had more options related to keeping and raising their children there would be more who would opt for that.

I am pro choice that abortion be available when it comes to situations of rape and incest, and life of the mother, but I also believe that whenever possible, that should be dealt with in the first trimester. Can a mother raise a child of either rape or incest and both of them be emotionally healthy- there comes a tme of a child learning of their origins- is a woman strong enough to handle that? A child given for adoption goes to find a parent, and the truth comes out- what do you tell a child to make it right? As for the threat to life of the mother, only she can make that decision, a hard choice. A few brave souls would choose the child's life over their own, but how many are that strong?

I think this is an area where the law should never say which way one should go, the decision is too personal and should be between the woman and her doctor, her other care providers, and in some cases, the father, based on her own personal situation. I don't think a woman should ever be forced by financial desperation and emotional coercion to think that abortion is the only option.

Thanks for the thanks, Pilgrim, and I guess that wasn't the answer manifold wanted to read. I've been a mother for 44 years now, and saw, even before that, a whole lot of things, so it a considered opinion!

Thanks for the thanks, Pilgrim, and I guess that wasn't the answer manifold wanted to read. I've been a mother for 44 years now, and saw, even before that, a whole lot of things, so it a considered opinion!

I really appreciate you taking the time to type out your position and the reasonings behind your opinion. As I suspected you had a much more reasonable position than I was assuming.

We might not totally agree but at least you have given me enough information so I have an understanding on our difference in opinion.

Forum List

Back