My son told me he wants to be a police officer...

Blackrook

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2014
...and I was filled with a sense of dread and foreboding.

I worried not only for his physical safety, but for his soul as well, because police officers are subject to temptations that most of us are not.

As an interesting coincidence, I am now working with a civil rights attorney who takes on clients who sue police departments and police officers. I do not know if I will continue this work, things are still up in the air with this attorney. I just started working with him yesterday.

I ask those of you who pray to pray for my son, and for all police officers, to keep them safe, and to help them make good choices.

Our son will be going into the military, a foregone conclusion. He will have his father and I's full support and understanding

I worried not only for his physical safety, but for his soul as well, because police officers are subject to temptations that most of us are not.

As an interesting coincidence, I am now working with a civil rights attorney who takes on clients who sue police departments and police officers. I do not know if I will continue this work, things are still up in the air with this attorney. I just started working with him yesterday.

I ask those of you who pray to pray for my son, and for all police officers, to keep them safe, and to help them make good choices.

Is it just an aspiration or is he old enough to pursue it? Gotta admire his bravery for picking that profession but now a days its a scary choice.
In a few cities they are having police leave the force by choice.

Is it just an aspiration or is he old enough to pursue it? Gotta admire his bravery for picking that profession but now a days its a scary choice.
He is 21-years-old, but I was taken by surprise because he never before indicated an interest in police work before yesterday. I will support him in whatever he wants to do, but being a police officer in today's world is very difficult. There are communities where police officers are not supported by the public, so you're not seen as an enemy just by the criminals, but by everyone. I don't see how police officers can effectively do their jobs in such an environment.

I think its cool he has that ambition, honestly. But i agree with you. Its a rough job. Especially today :/
I wish him luck!

That's not an honest assessment, you are just worried because he knows where you hide your weed. *LOL*

He is 21-years-old, but I was taken by surprise because he never before indicated an interest in police work before yesterday. I will support him in whatever he wants to do, but being a police officer in today's world is very difficult. There are communities where police officers are not supported by the public, so you're not seen as an enemy just by the criminals, but by everyone. I don't see how police officers can effectively do their jobs in such an environment.

Exactly. The rogue cops have made it practically impossible for the good ones to even do their job.
Maybe encourage him to other areas of law enforcement where he can still serve but not on the front lines like a cop would.
Ill pray for him Blackrook.

My mother's family was Chicago Irish Catholic, with a lot of police officers, and my grandfather was FBI, so I have always identified with law enforcement, though I did not want to enter law enforcement myself. I could have joined the District Attorney's office after law school, but I did not want the responsibility of putting people in prison, I did not see that as my life's work. So instead, I started my own firm and represented Central American refugees in immigration court. I consider my successful political asylum cases to be my life's greatest achievements. The thing is, though I identify with the police, I see the other point of view as well, and I'm more likely to take the side of the citizen who has been charged with a crime or the immigrant who is subject to deportation.

It's a good government job with great benefits and a pension.

And if he gets into the right kind of task force (ie , narcotics) there will plenty of money for the taking from drug busts.

My best friend just got accepted to the police academy :cranky:

My mother's family was Chicago Irish Catholic, with a lot of police officers, and my grandfather was FBI, so I have always identified with law enforcement, though I did not want to enter law enforcement myself. I could have joined the District Attorney's office after law school, but I did not want the responsibility of putting people in prison, I did not see that as my life's work. So instead, I started my own firm and represented Central American refugees in immigration court. I consider my successful political asylum cases to be my life's greatest achievements. The thing is, though I identify with the police, I see the other point of view as well, and I'm more likely to take the side of the citizen who has been charged with a crime or the immigrant who is subject to deportation.

Lol now I feel silly for making that suggestion. I get my info from the Justice Network. :redface:
Hope it all works out.

Though I am generally pro-cop personally, in my professional life I have always defended those accused of crime.

I had one case where my client was accused of sexually assaulting a 16-year-old.

The "victim", it turned out, was not very cooperative at the arraignment and neither was her mother, so it began to look like the sexual assault did not actually happen.

All looked good for my client, but then a police officer took the stand and testified that my client confessed to a consensual sexual encounter with the girl before her 16th birthday, in other words, consensual but below the age of consent.

I worked out a deal with the district attorney that my client would plead guilty to a lesser charge that did not get him on the sex offenders registry, and he agreed to it, though reluctantly.

My client burned with rage as he was forced to admit he committed the crime of touching this 15-year-old girl to the judge.

He was not very grateful to me that I kept him off the sex registry, and he didn't even do any jail time.

Had he gone to trial and been convicted, he would have gone to jail, been forced to register as a sex offender, and his life would basically be over.

But he was not even the slightest bit grateful that I saved him from this.

The moral of the story, of course, is don't talk to the police, not ever.

Though I am generally pro-cop personally, in my professional life I have always defended those accused of crime.

I had one case where my client was accused of sexually assaulting a 16-year-old.

The "victim", it turned out, was not very cooperative at the arraignment and neither was her mother, so it began to look like the sexual assault did not actually happen.

All looked good for my client, but then a police officer took the stand and testified that my client confessed to a consensual sexual encounter with the girl before her 16th birthday, in other words, consensual but below the age of consent.

I worked out a deal with the district attorney that my client would plead guilty to a lesser charge that did not get him on the sex offenders registry, and he agreed to it, though reluctantly.

My client burned with rage as he was forced to admit he committed the crime of touching this 15-year-old girl to the judge.

He was not very grateful to me that I kept him off the sex registry, and he didn't even do any jail time.

Had he gone to trial and been convicted, he would have gone to jail, been forced to register as a sex offender, and his life would basically be over.

Us hardened criminals were taught that in kindergarten..

Us hardened criminals were taught that in kindergarten..
Almost every man and woman in prison put himself/herself there by talking to the police.

If you clam up and refuse to talk, it's much harder to nail you with anything.

I always tell my clients, if you must confess, confess to a Catholic priest. He will give you God's absolution, but cannot ever tell anyone what you said.

If you confess to a police officer or immigration officer, not only are you NOT forgiven, but your words will be used against you as evidence to convict you of a crime.

Also, my clients can confess to me, I cannot tell the police what they tell me.

Unfortunately, most criminal clients lie to their lawyers. They tell their lawyers they are innocent, and make up some story, rather than admit they did something illegal.

This makes it more difficult to defend criminal clients, because you have to assume they are lying to you, and expect surprises when you talk to the district attorney.

I had a client who told me he legally bought a gun, but carried it illegally, and turned it over to a police officer voluntarily. He was charged with a crime.

I thought this was strange, because he HAD turned the gun over voluntarily.

What my client did not tell me, and I only learned from the District Attorney, was that my client was high on meth during this turning over the gun voluntarily event.

This is just one example of how a criminal client will never tell you the whole truth of what happened.

Forum List

Back