My New Stance on Abortion

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by alan1, May 9, 2009.

1. alan1

alan1 USMB Mod Staff Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,769
    My New Stance on Abortion

It’s taken me quite a while to get here, but I have changed my stance on abortion. It’s been many an abortion debate on many message boards that caused me to think long and hard about the abortion issue. There have been many people from both sides of the debate that have inspired my introspective thought on this issue. I will however, give most of the credit to my altered opinion to one person that has challenged me, honestly debated me and truly forced me (intellectually speaking) to re-think my stance. That person would be Ms Coyote. (And some people say that you can’t influence changes in opinion over the internet).

That being said let me tell you how my opinion has changed.

I’ve decided that I am not against abortion 100%. I’m still against abortion and I think nobody should ever get an abortion, but it’s more about my view of when life actually begins.
    To get there, I have to look at when life actually ends.
    Within our commonly accepted view of medical life, pretty much everybody accepts cessation of brainwaves as the end of life. The cessation of brainwaves is the point that doctors legally declare a person dead. The end of brain activity is when doctors, courts and the common man have determined that life supporting equipment can be unplugged and a person can be declared dead. Even religions accept this.
    Based upon that, I have decided (in my mind) that the beginning of life is the existence of brain waves. I believe that life begins when brain activity begins. Up to that point, I will accept abortion as an option. I won’t accept abortion as an option once brainwaves exist, at the point that brainwaves exist, the medical community and the courts have already spoken loudly and clearly that a person’s life is worth something.

So, my new stance on abortion is this;
    If brain functions exist, abortion should not be allowed, prior to that, abortion can be allowed. I still think that prior to brain activity abortions should not be performed, but I am willing to accept abortion up to that point. I still disagree with abortion, and I don’t like it. I think that once brain activity has been achieved all abortion should be banned.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Zoom-boing

Zoom-boing Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,123
    Sounds to me as if you still believe that abortion is wrong, regardless of a brain activity argument. Maybe you have yourself convinced otherwise but that's not how I'm reading it.

3. alan1

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,769
    You are reading me correctly. I do believe that abortion is wrong. I am, however, willing to accept the definition of the cessation of life as the same standard for the beginning of life.

4. Immanuel

Immanuel Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,224
    He made it clear that he thinks abortion is wrong under any circumstances, but he is willing to accept abortion up until brain activity begins. That sounds to me to be an intelligent way of looking at things.

Unfortunately, even that is a problem because you have people like the author of this:

Brain_Waves
    and you have the following:

WikiAnswers - When does a fetus have brain activity

Leave it up to the pro-choice people and Brain Activities will be said not to begin until the toddler is 2 years old.

Immie

5. Zoom-boing

Zoom-boing Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,123

6. Barb

Barb Carpe Scrotum

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,586
    Something to consider form either end of the abortion debate:
    "Between 1995 and 2003, abortion rates dropped more in developed than in developing countries. And although it may be difficult for some to accept, rates fell most sharply in countries where abortion is legally available on broad grounds and widely available in practice. "
    Cohen, Susan A. “New Data on Abortion Incidence, Safety Illuminate Key Aspects of Worldwide Abortion Debate“ Guttmacher Institute. 2007. Volume 10. 4. http://www.ippf.org/NR/rdonlyres/8D...2A/0/Death_Denial_unsafe_abortion_poverty.pdf (accessed April 20, 2009)
    Those are also the areas of the world where contraceptive use is higher / in greater demand.

7. Immanuel

Immanuel Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,224
    Well, my position on abortion is this... abortion is wrong under all circumstances. However, I am willing to assert that if the mother's life is truly in danger (that doesn't mean infection from a hangnail) then by all means the mother has the right to protect herself.

Contradictory? I don't think so.

Also, if a thirteen year old girl is raped and then has the unfortunate problem of ending up pregnant as well, I can't for the life of me expect a 13 year old girl to give birth unwillingly to the child of the man that raped her.

Contradictory? I don't think so.

Abortion is wrong, but, there are times that exceptions need to be made.

Immie

8. alan1

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,769
    Trust me on this, I've struggled with this decision in my mind for quite some time.
    Accepting something doesn't mean you agree with it. As an example, I have 2 daughters (ages 19 and 21), I accept the fact that they are going to have sex, that doesn't mean I agree that they should be having sex.
    Perhaps it's because my opinion about abortion is not based upon religion that I can allow myself to accept something I personally think is wrong.

9. DamnYankee

DamnYankee No Neg Policy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441

Great job, IMO. It's my firm belief that preventive education should always take precedence with the goal being that abortion will not occur because educated people take the necessary precautions. (Extenuating circumstances excluded here.) While my own allowance does not have the same rationale as yours, it has a medical/ethical basis, rather than a religious one. Although I consider myself a person of faith, there can be no advancing on this issue unless there is some compromise by both sides, and that requires factual information that is reviewed without the hysteria.

10. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,971
    why do people continue to deny that abortion is the stopage of a possible life? why do pro lifers continue to pretend this is anything more than a "hot button" issue for them? if anyone wanted to outlaw abortion it would have been done by now....the ussc has not been stacked anti abortion and no matter how hard they attempt to nail down a personal that issue, they, the medica etc. never seem to do it well.

does anyone really thing they can turn back the clock on abortion. women can purchase menstral extraction kits to perform abortions on themselves. many herbs will induce abortions if introduced quick enough. women will risk their lives with bad alley abortions..why drive women back to that?