My meager "defense" of Roy Moore.....

Only a perv in his thirties dates girls who are 14, 16, and 17.

You may not like it, but it wasn't illegal.

Think again. The bolded portion is exactly what the victim described.

"The legal age of consent in Alabama, then and now, is 16. Under Alabama law in 1979, and today, a person who is at least 19 years old who has sexual contact with someone between 12 and 16 years old has committed sexual abuse in the second degree. Sexual contact is defined as touching of sexual or intimate parts. The crime is a misdemeanor punishable by up to one year in jail.

The law then and now also includes a section on enticing a child younger than 16 to enter a home with the purpose of proposing sexual intercourse or fondling of sexual and genital parts. That is a felony punishable by up to 10 years in prison."

Roy Moore accused of sexual encounter with teen in 1979

OK, but as I said earlier, at this point the law is irrelevant. All we have now is a 40 year old claim made by a woman known for making multiple false allegations and very convenient political timing. You don't find that somewhat suspicious?

OK- but as you said earlier- you claimed it wasn't illegal- let me quote you again

You may not like it, but it wasn't illegal.

What we have is a claim by a woman of something that happened 40 years ago- that she didn't volunteer and didn't make public until a reporter tracked down rumors of Moore dating teens- and that she confided in her teenage friend at the time- and her mother 10 years after the fact- and whose mother has confirmed that Moore met them exactly as she confirmed.

So why do you think that this woman- a Republican who voted for Trump, her childhood friend- and her mother are all lying?

Do I find the timing suspicious? In the year where Harvey Weinstein has fallen due to women feeling empowered to share their stories of his sexual abuse? A year when women are feeling empowered to tell about the men who have sexually abused them?

No I don't particularly.

The Washington Post heard a rumor.....In his day, Roy Moore liked teen aged girls....everyone knew it

Rather than printing the rumor, they investigated. Spent months tracking down leads. Have you heard this rumor about Moore? Is it true
The investigation led to numerous leads and women who say Moore "dated" them
They also followed up with friends and family to see if they remember it

Is the timing suspicious? To a degree
The Post dropped the story while it was still relevant

Jones is +4 in the latest poll
Moore was+11 three weeks ago

Looks like the voters are starting to make choices

RealClearPolitics - Election 2017 - Alabama Senate Special Election - Moore vs. Jones

It's never quite clear what you hope to accomplish with you silly posts.

I went to your link and just below it was the presidential electoral map from 2016. I thought....are we still discussing polls after that ?
Unable to read a link?

It shows polling results from the Alabama election

Unable to read at all ?

Your polls were right above the election results of 2016 where polls said they'd be a lot different.

Or have you forgotten that already ?

What I remember about the polls in 2016 is that they showed Hillary with a huge lead
When Comey dropped his bombshell two weeks before the election, polls showed that lead was evaporating
The day before the election, Hillary had a three percent lead....she ended up with a 2% lead

What the polls show with Moore is an 11% lead three weeks ago, even a week ago and 4% behind today
So what does that say about polls?
It says that an insurmountable lead can vanish if a political bombshell is dropped right before the election

Last edited:
Actually, they did disappear. Nobody has heard much (if anything) about them.

I was just pointing that out.

Just because you aren't paying attention doesn't mean things aren't still happening.

Are all 90,000 of your posts that combative ?

Yeah, pretty much.

Can you please show me where you've changed anyone's mind with your verbal virtuosity.

Not why I'm here. If you are here, you are already of an opinion.

i don't like Trump and I don't like how America has forgotten what a miserable person he was (and probably is).

I don't think America has forgotten. I think the 35% who support him just don't care. They are so angry at this country rejecting their values they'd vote for C'Thulhu just to spite the rest of us.

Trump's election was never about Trump. It was about America's frustration that democracy doesn't really work anymore. So half the Democrats supported a Communist (Sanders) and half the Republicans supported a Nazi (Trump).

I agreed with the OP in that what happened to Trump and Moore can happen to anyone (not sure I would call it swiftboating) and it is a terrible thing to see in the political election process.

well, no, it really isn't. If you are going to portray yourself as something, you should expect people to call you on it.

Since you brought up "Swiftboating", John Kerry tried to portray himself as this big war hero (dubious, given his injuries were minor and the actions he was involved in questionable). But what got him in trouble was he wanted to pretend his anti-war activism didn't happen, or that other Vietnam Vets didn't have a real ax to grind with him. He should have owned it while apologizing to anyone whose feelings were hurt.

Moore is in trouble now because he has spent decades being Mr. Ten Commandments. Mr. Holier than Thou. So when these women come forward and said he groped them when they were teens and there seems to be a lot of corroborating evidence, no surprise it's costing him.

Trump got away with it because we all knew he was a lout and a cad for decades. He really never made any effort to hide it. And it helped that his opponent was married to the other great Cad in American politics.

Jones is +4 in the latest poll
Moore was+11 three weeks ago

Looks like the voters are starting to make choices

RealClearPolitics - Election 2017 - Alabama Senate Special Election - Moore vs. Jones

It's never quite clear what you hope to accomplish with you silly posts.

I went to your link and just below it was the presidential electoral map from 2016. I thought....are we still discussing polls after that ?
Unable to read a link?

It shows polling results from the Alabama election

Unable to read at all ?

Your polls were right above the election results of 2016 where polls said they'd be a lot different.

Or have you forgotten that already ?

What I remember about the polls in 2016 is that they showed Hillary with a huge lead
When Comey dropped his bombshell two weeks before the election, polls showed that lead was evaporating
The day before the election, Hillary had a three percent lead....she ended up with a 2% lead

What the polls show with Moore is an 11% lead three weeks ago, even a week ago and 4% behind today
So what does that say about polls?
It says that an insurmountable lead can vanish if a political bombshell is dropped right before the election

While the % points are somewhat fluid, the electoral college predictions had her up big time. That didn't happen. I realize that Moore does get the advantage of having a huge portion of the electorate marginalized by the same kind of system.

You also have the example of Romney's failed polling. He thought he was headed to D.C. based on his numbers. Turns out he was wrong too.

Not why I'm here. If you are here, you are already of an opinion.

90,000 posts ???

Really ?
He is an amateur

Well, I'm not getting paid like you are!

There are a few of us here who are

How do I get in on that sweet action?

It takes months of training and then a long trial period where you don't make much money. Most who try, can't cut it

90,000 posts ???

Really ?
He is an amateur

Well, I'm not getting paid like you are!

There are a few of us here who are

How do I get in on that sweet action?

It takes months of training and then a long trial period where you don't make much money. Most who try, can't cut it

You get paid ??

To do what ?

This is most interesting.

It's not up to me. It's not up to you. It's not up to Mitch McConnell. It's not up to Mitt Romney. It's not up to CNN or NBC. And it's not up to President Trump. I

t's up to the voters of Alabama. They will decide. Only them.

Rep. Rodney Davis (R-IL) says he’s worried congressional offices will hire fewer women to avoid issue of sexual harassment.

Mo Brooks is standing by Roy Moore, says the GOP agenda is 'vastly more important than contested sexual allegations.'

If Roy Moore wins would you be open to voting to expel him?

Jeff Flake: "Yes, I would. I don't think it'll get to that, I don't think he will win."

Well, it's not like they came over to the side of Jesus on this. It may be too late to substitute Moore with another goper on the ballot, but it's probably not too late to organize a write in campaign to keep the dems from taking the seat. Luther Strange is a pretty crappy candidate, but he hasn't molested anyone that we know of.

I mean I don't think McConnell is a monster by any means, and he came out pretty fast against Moore, but Moore is Bannon's baby. Still, I can't think of any gop senators who'd be ok working with a child molester. I can't think of any dems either, but then they're pretty solid being against any goper. LOL

Forum List

Back