My Harley quit starting!

I had an 57 Royal Enfield Indian once.
It was an English motorcycle.
The shifter was on the right side and the back brake was on the left side.
The throttle was on the left side and the clutch was on the right side.
It had a positive grounding system.
It was a backwards nightmare.

Put a current meter between the battery and the positive lead.
If it is pulling current when everything is turned off, it's the alternator.

Put a current meter between the battery and the positive lead.
If it is pulling current when everything is turned off, it's the alternator.
A "current meter" is called an AMMETER.

It's not going to be just the alternator. It could be about anything from the ignition switch to the tail light, and Harley's don't technically have an alternator.

Last edited:
I had
No they won't, at all, period.

The "click, click" sound is from not enough voltage and/or current to the starter, period. It's got NOTHING to do with the spark plugs. I went to SCHOOL for Harley Davidson at Motorcycle Mechanics Institute in Deer Valley, AZ, and worked for 13 years as a technician. I KNOW what I'm talking about.

So would you say relay first and see what happens? I'll buy a tester Friday and send pics of what it says.
Nope... relay is fine, or it wouldn't turn over at all. Same with the solenoid. It's a wiring connection or the starter, providing the battery IS good.

With the Delphi fuel injection, even if it turns over, it still might not start if the battery is below 12 volts. You should have at least 13.5 volts in your battery, and it should charge at 14.5 volts.

An, and here is another question. I posted this pic above,

View attachment 286920

That little blue wire go's to a after market horn. Could that have anything to do with it?
It could be causing a "static drain" on the battery causing it to go dead, but causing the bike not to start, no.
the diodes in the alternator can short-out sometimes and drain the battery all of the time
Actually, a Harley doesn't have diodes in an alternator. The charging system consists of the stator and the permanent magnets in the rotor. The diodes are in the voltage regulator, but yes, if they're shorted out, they can drain the battery, but before that, the battery will probably be dead because it wasn't charging.

Last edited:
I was going to offer advice but this thread is comical, I've been laughing my ass off for the last 5 minutes , Crixus take 007 advice or don't, keep the laughs coming people.

Crixus if that thing was in my garage it would be fixed in the 2 plus hours this thread has existing. I done with work so now homeward bound, we will see if you guys are still at it tomorrow.

The "click, click" sound is from not enough voltage and/or current to the starter, period.
True, but i thought he said it was then turning over....he said it fired a couple times...

Pretty much. All the lights come on, fuel pump does its thing, then when I hit the ignition it will go click, click, putt, click click. When the battery is charged it will even fire and want to go, but by then the battery is dead. It wants to go, but can't. Far as the plugs and wires go, I think they are the ones that came with it in 2008.

When the battery is charged it will even fire and want to go, but by then the battery is dead
So, when it fires, it's not consistently turning over, when trying to start? That's where i am confused. If the starter is merely "clicking", it shouldn't fire at all, unless maybe the starter is shot...

I had
So would you say relay first and see what happens? I'll buy a tester Friday and send pics of what it says.
Nope... relay is fine, or it wouldn't turn over at all. Same with the solenoid. It's a wiring connection or the starter, providing the battery IS good.

With the Delphi fuel injection, even if it turns over, it still might not start if the battery is below 12 volts. You should have at least 13.5 volts in your battery, and it should charge at 14.5 volts.

An, and here is another question. I posted this pic above,

View attachment 286920

That little blue wire go's to a after market horn. Could that have anything to do with it?
It could be causing a "static drain" on the battery causing it to go dead, but causing the bike not to start, no.
the diodes in the alternator can short-out sometimes and drain the battery all of the time
Actually, a Harley doesn't have diodes in an alternator. The charging system consists of the stator and the permanent magnets in the rotor. The diodes are in the voltage regulator, but yes, if they're shorted out, they can drain the battery, but before that, the battery will probably be dead because it wasn't charging.
I have had an alternator that would charge while the engine was running, but drain the battery when the engine was off because one of the diodes was shorted out to ground. Most modern alternators have the voltage regulators bulit in them.

When the battery is charged it will even fire and want to go, but by then the battery is dead
So, when it fires, it's not consistently turning over, when trying to start? That's where i am confused. If the starter is merely "clicking", it shouldn't fire at all, unless maybe the starter is shot...

Yup. Hit ignition and you get the click click putt.

I'd be checking the main power feed to the starter motor at both ends if it's going 'click click'. Take it off, clean it, make sure it has a good [tight] connection when it's put it back.

Yup. Hit ignition and you get the click click putt.
What is 'putt'? Is it turning over?

Yup. Then more clicking.

When I picked up my FLTR in 2007, first accessory I bought was a shop manual. I do my own repairs. Fuck those so called "techs" at the stealership. Glorified parts changers. Most won't touch anything older than an Evo.

My pig. Bought new in '07, 60k miles on it currently:
1560603_724207710931591_1652716980_n.jpg

Forum List

Back