My Harley quit starting!

and about 5 years of sitting off and on.
And if you tried starting it with old gas, you could have fouled your plugs.
Sta-Bil is your friend anytime she's gonna sit a while.

Yup. I dug this one out of a pile of crap. And I bought it for $1,000 bucks.

image.jpeg

I am saying that fouled plugs can produce the syptoms he is experiencing.
No they won't, at all, period.

The "click, click" sound is from not enough voltage and/or current to the starter, period. It's got NOTHING to do with the spark plugs. I went to SCHOOL for Harley Davidson at Motorcycle Mechanics Institute in Deer Valley, AZ, and worked for 13 years as a technician. I KNOW what I'm talking about.

But, if the OP doesn't want to take the advice of a factory trained Harley Technician, whatever... I don't give a fuck.

The "click, click" sound is from not enough voltage and/or current to the starter, period. It's got NOTHING to do with the spark plugs. I went to SCHOOL for Harley Davidson at Motorcycle Mechanics Institute in Deer Valley, AZ, and worked for 13 years as a technician. I KNOW what I'm talking about.

So would you say relay first and see what happens? I'll buy a tester Friday and send pics of what it says.

But, if the OP doesn't want to take the advice of a factory trained Harley Technician, whatever... I don't give a fuck.
Sounds like ya kinda do.

So would you say relay first and see what happens? I'll buy a tester Friday and send pics of what it says.
Nope... relay is fine, or it wouldn't turn over at all. Same with the solenoid. It's a wiring connection or the starter, providing the battery IS good.

With the Delphi fuel injection, even if it turns over, it still might not start if the battery is below 12 volts. You should have at least 13.5 volts in your battery, and it should charge at 14.5 volts.

Sounds like ya kinda do.
Sounds like you're jealous I'm a Harley tech.

Nope... relay is fine, or it wouldn't turn over at all. Same with the solenoid. It's a wiring connection or the starter, providing the battery IS good.

With the Delphi fuel injection, even if it turns over, it still might not start if the battery is below 12 volts. You should have at least 13.5 volts in your battery, and it should charge at 14.5 volts.

Okay, so test battery, then as it runs I want it to charge at the 14.5. Now if it charges at the same 13 or over charges at 14+ then would I need to look at the stater/rectifier? Or am I drifting into the weeds?

It go's "click, click, putt, click, click, etc, etc. the battery is a gonner. Completely flat. So I got another older battery and got the same. So I took the battery out all together and joked the bike up to a non running car battery and got the same. I will also note that all the lights work, headlight nice and brite, fuel pump pumps, it just don't start. So the plan is, rebuild the solonoid, replace the relay, and check ALL the wires Inbetween for any ware or damage. I'm not a machanic so if any of that sounds wrong please let me know. Thanks.
just reminder, when kick starting a big motorcycle beware of the kick-back

An, and here is another question. I posted this pic above,

image.jpeg

That little blue wire go's to a after market horn. Could that have anything to do with it?

Okay, so test battery, then as it runs I want it to charge at the 14.5. Now if it charges at the same 13 or over charges at 14+ then would I need to look at the stater/rectifier? Or am I drifting into the weeds?
You need to "load test" the battery, not just check the voltage. It can have 13 volts but under load it falls flat on it's face.

And if and when you get it running, check the voltage at the battery posts, and if it's under 14.5, you have a charging problem. Could be the voltage regulator, could be the stator. That's a whole another set of checks, best done by a tech at a dealer.

It go's "click, click, putt, click, click, etc, etc. the battery is a gonner. Completely flat. So I got another older battery and got the same. So I took the battery out all together and joked the bike up to a non running car battery and got the same. I will also note that all the lights work, headlight nice and brite, fuel pump pumps, it just don't start. So the plan is, rebuild the solonoid, replace the relay, and check ALL the wires Inbetween for any ware or damage. I'm not a machanic so if any of that sounds wrong please let me know. Thanks.
just reminder, when kick starting a big motorcycle beware of the kick-back

No kick start dance for me! Not ever! I'll park on a hill first!

You need to "load test" the battery, not just check the voltage. It can have 13 volts but under load it falls flat on it's face.

And if and when you get it running, check the voltage at the battery posts, and if it's under 14.5, you have a charging problem. Could be the voltage regulator, could be the stator. That's a whole another set of checks, best done by a tech at a dealer.

I agree.

View attachment 286920

That little blue wire go's to a after market horn. Could that have anything to do with it?
It could be causing a "static drain" on the battery causing it to go dead, but causing the bike not to start, no.

View attachment 286920

It could be causing a "static drain" on the battery causing it to go dead, but causing the bike not to start, no.

View attachment 286920

I'll get more stuff up Friday. More detail. Was going to do it today but I gotta work. Maybe get some sound so y'all can hear what I'm talking about.

I had

View attachment 286920

the diodes in the alternator can short-out sometimes and drain the battery all of the time

and about 5 years of sitting off and on.
And if you tried starting it with old gas, you could have fouled your plugs.
Sta-Bil is your friend anytime she's gonna sit a while.

Yup. I dug this one out of a pile of crap. And I bought it for $1,000 bucks.

View attachment 286913
no kick start?

No. The sons of anarchy didn't have them so I won't either. And the kick start dance was one of the biggest reasons I held off owning a bike for so long. Kick starting a bike is what caused the invention of awesome new cuss words.

Forum List

Back