My first car when I was 16 years old

Those old cars could be operated many wheys compared to the car slave masters make today...
I think the turn signal module was the most sophisticated piece of hardware on that Beetle. :lol:
My Mom and sis both drove Beetles, My Mom had the no clutch Super Beetle..1976.. My sis had an old one a '68 i think..They both complained about always having someone work on them...
This was my Bible...

HowToJM.png

Got a brand new copy right here. Have a '68 in the garage with the engine out.
Do not give up on it. I found a '67 several years ago, tinkered with it then sold it. I could kick myself.
I managed to isolate the problem and it was with the key starter mechanism. Read all sorts of horror stories about it and bailed. Don't let this happen to you. :slap:

Here's my first car. Actually, this is a '66. Mine was a '64, brand new and bright red. I loved that car for its 4 wheel drive and its "free wheeling" capability.

It was a two stroke engine, you put oil in the gas tank. You had to wait until the tank was on fumes, put the oil in the gas tank and then fill it with gas. I lived in a small town and in those days, they pumped your gas for you. I would hand the can of oil to the guy and he'd turn green with horror. A few times I told them if they could find a place under the hood, go ahead and put it in.

Saab%201966%2095StationWagon.jpg

Good lord...where'd you find that thing.

Bet finding parts was a biatch...I mean a real saab story.

I think the turn signal module was the most sophisticated piece of hardware on that Beetle. :lol:
My Mom and sis both drove Beetles, My Mom had the no clutch Super Beetle..1976.. My sis had an old one a '68 i think..They both complained about always having someone work on them...
This was my Bible...

HowToJM.png

Do not give up on it. I found a '67 several years ago, tinkered with it then sold it. I could kick myself.
I managed to isolate the problem and it was with the key starter mechanism. Read all sorts of horror stories about it and bailed. Don't let this happen to you. :slap:

I'm still tinkering with it from time to time. This winter I'll overhaul the engine...an it needs new floorpans welded in. And new seats. And interior door panels. And some new paint. And new brakelines...really, the whole brake system. But slowly she's coming back from the brink.

Volkswagon.png

This was my Bible...

HowToJM.png

I'm still tinkering with it from time to time. This winter I'll overhaul the engine...an it needs new floorpans welded in. And new seats. And interior door panels. And some new paint. And new brakelines...really, the whole brake system. But slowly she's coming back from the brink.

View attachment 44447
Take it to the limit. If you don't, I'll have to shoot you. :lol:

'66 Beetle, back in 1974. Drove the shit out of it for two years then sold it for what I paid for it: $315.
One time I drove it without breaks (400+) miles.
Without a starter (900+ miles).
Without a clutch (around town).
That thing wouldn't die. And believe me I tried my best LOL.

Absolutely the best cars ever!

My dad had an old one when we were kids so one of my brothers and I both got into Beetles. In my yute I bought very used '60, '61, and '62 models, and new ones in '68 and '76 when I was older.

My two favorite improvements were the addition of a gas gauge in '62 (?) and not at all sure which year they added the really cool pressurized windshield washer "system," which comprised a plastic fluid bottle attached to the spare tire's wheel in the trunk. A small rubber hose ran from the bottle's top and screwed onto the spare's air valve,
and its pressure forced the fluid along more tubing and out through the nozzles aimed at the windshield. Ingeniously simple and the driver no longer had to pump to clean his window. What engineering progress!

If stories are true, the VW Beetle's the best idea Adolph ever had.

Forum List

Back