My father asked me to kill him

You guys crack me up. Considering the source, I have my doubts about his motives.

End of life decisions should be made with your family before that time comes. My husband and I have had living wills since I was in my 20s. My father in law spared us much grief last summer by expressing his wishes in writing. Just a heads up to the folks who haven't gotten around to it.

That's a little bit different than the situation here. To date, only Oregon allows for physician assisted suicide and there is a strict criteria that has to be met before you can get the script for the lethal pill from a Dr. For instance, you have to have a terminal prognosis with a disease that is going to cause you to suffer immensely (and not merely suicidal).

I support this measure. I don't believe people should have to suffer needlessly due to other people's religious beliefs (assuming are revulsion over suicide is due to our judeo-christian belief system that states it's a mortal sin).

I think olberman did go through something painful with his dad. The end of life can be very hard and slow.

But that isn't the insurance companies fault.

I think the insurance thing should be handled state by state.

Keith Olbermann's 'raw' plea - THE WEEK

"Last Friday night, my father asked me to kill him." So began an impassioned and emotional "special comment" by MSNBC host Keith Olbermann on the eve of the health-care-reform summit. Olbermann used the graphic story of his father's terminal illness both to bash conservative "ghouls" like "Sarah Palin" who warned that Democratic health reform would lead to "death panels," and to make an impassioned plea for a sensible national policy on end-of-life care. Was Olbermann's much-discussed monologue a courageous use of his "raw" personal story, or a "twisted" partisan stunt?

He's always been personal with his audience. I think it's both a means of sharing with his audience and a means of making a point about how backwards we are in how we approach these issues.

Maybe Baher and Maher will get together to laugh about Olbermanns situation.

Yeah our health care system is just fine.

Run on that ......please.

Id rather run on policies that, I don't know, actually help the people. Why is that such a foreign concept to you people?

Why on earth should we adopt policies we already know don't work?! What kind of person thinks that somehow since we are doing it that the laws of nature and economics are going to change???

The laws of nature were there before humans showed up. The laws of economics are a human invention and are not immutable. True, they're bounded by human understanding but they're not anywhere near being natural, physical laws of the universe.

As for the "policies" that "don't work" - well of course you wouldn't adopt policies that don't work, why not look for those that do work and adopt and adapt them?

Forum List

Back