My Eyeballs Hurt

norwegen

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2013
Ormond Beach, FL
I just picked up my progressive lenses today. I've never had prescription glasses before, and they're something to get used to. I expected that. But I also feel a dull pain in my eyes. Is that normal?

I just picked up my progressive lenses today. I've never had prescription glasses before, and they're something to get used to. I expected that. But I also feel a dull pain in my eyes. Is that normal?

I've had them for almost 30 years. You do get used to the weird peripheral vision, having to turn your head instead of just moving your eyes. But I've never been happy with the sight.

Hopefully, you'll do better.

Yeah, eye fatigue is just about mandatory.

Regards from Rosie

I've had them for almost 30 years. You do get used to the weird peripheral vision, having to turn your head instead of just moving your eyes. But I've never been happy with the sight.

Hopefully, you'll do better.
Thanks, Luddly. I have a feeling the dull sensation is temporary or maybe not even related.

I hope so.

Wow, you went from no eyeglasses at all right into progressive lenses?

I'll tell you what my best advice is for getting used to progressive lenses. Just let your brain and your eyes work it out, you stay out of it. :)

Seriously, just go about your business and try not to think about it. Be careful not to trip going down stairs or stepping off a curb. I've worn them for years, don't even think about it anymore. And it's great to see perfectly at all distances, including close-up. :)

You sound like me...once you know something is normal...such as the dull pain from eye fatigue...you can handle it just fine.

Last edited:
I use one pair for far away(women watching) and one pair for close (reading).....I hated the split screen...

Norweg is known as a progressively lensed country.

You'll do fine. It's in your heritage.
Not really, but when my American eye doctor asked me to read this line

C Z W X N Q S T A C Z

and I told her that I not only could read it, but that I knew the guy, she didn't believe me.

I use one pair for far away(women watching) and one pair for close (reading).....I hated the split screen...

I hate that! Throughout the day I am constantly switching from near to far vision. Having to stop and put on a different pair of glasses makes me feel crippled!

My first multi-vision lenses were bifocals. Then I got bifocal contact lenses! They were awesome! But then the reading strength I needed was starting to take away from my distance strength if I wanted to stay with the bifocal contact lenses.

I didn't want to lose any distance vision, so I decided to try going with single vision contact lenses and reading glasses. Hated it enough that I decided to switch to bifocal eyeglasses, and then to progressive lenses. I mean, "the line" showing on my glasses was just too old fogey for me!

You have to be tough...you just put the damn things on and tell yourself this is it...you HAVE to wear them, so quit you whining and get about your business.

Like I said, let your brain and your eyes work it out. I was pretty comfortable with them in a couple of days. It was sure better than having to constantly take the reading glasses on and off all the time!

This is all just my opinion, of course, and if someone doesn't mind hassling with reading glasses, more power to them.

Yes it is normal. Your eyes have been so used to straining to see, and now they are being pulled in the opposite direction. It will take a few days for your eyes to adjust. As for the progressive lenses, that may take up to a week to get used to. Once you do get used to them, you won't be able to tell that they are progressives, at least most of the time. The only time you might notice is when you unintentionally try reading through the upper part of the lens or look out in the distance from the lower part. You might do that if you are lying down.

Forum List

Back