My Body, My Choice

see no one is stopping you from drinking liquid sugar until your kidneys malfunction

Bloomy tried. If people are stupid enough to drink and eat themselves into an early death, that should be their right.

As long as the rest of us aren't haven't to pay the medical bills of the morbidly obese who got that way do to their own decisions.

Agreed. Their choice? Their cost.

The problem is though that through higher insurance premiums, we're all having to pay for their poor choices.

The same thing should apply to STDs. If someone chooses to be promiscuous, it's their choice and we should not be paying for their medical care and abortions. If someone chooses to take drugs, there is no procedural difference between ingesting drugs and ingesting fat food. They should pay for their own medical care or die.

Their choice, their cost.

The same thing should apply to STDs. If someone chooses to be promiscuous, it's their choice and we should not be paying for their medical care and abortions. If someone chooses to take drugs, there is no procedural difference between ingesting drugs and ingesting fat food. They should pay for their own medical care or die.

Their choice, their cost.

While I don't disagree, obesity is a much bigger problem in the US, from a monetary perspective, than illegal drug use and STDs combined and squared.

Hell, prescription drug abuse is a bigger problem than illegal drug use and STDs when computing health care costs. And that's before you include all the disgusting fat bodies.

I don't see why Bloomberg went for the outright ban. They could have gone the way of cigarettes--add extra taxes to make a Big Gulp out of the financial reach of many.

Then we just stop medical care for those who abuse prescription drugs.

Look at it realistically, what level of control is necessary to keep people from being overweight? Banning the sale of sugary drinks and transfats doesn't do it. You can't control what people eat or drink just by banning a few sales. The government would have to determine the appropriate caloric intake for each person and find some method of making sure that each individual eats only that amount and is punished if they exceed the mandated amount. But that's only half the battle against fat. There needs to be a mandatory exercise program and some sort of biometric reader to make sure that the person actually does those exercises.

You can simply deny any medical care to the obese because their condition is their own fault. But it cannot stop there. Every person who causes their own condition should also be denied medical care. The skiier who breaks a leg should be left on the mountaintop. The sailor whose boat capsizes at sea. The 15 year old girl who got pregnant. The rape victim or robbery victim who voluntarily walked down that dark alley. Close the drug rehab centers and certainly no treatment for the alcoholic.

In Singapore chewing gum was banned for decades because chewing gum caused tooth decay and when the public pays for dental care, they have to right to ban chewing gum. There is no end to it, not really. That's what the judge told Bloomberg. There is no end to government control if it is exerted in the name of public good.

Then we just stop medical care for those who abuse prescription drugs.

Look at it realistically, what level of control is necessary to keep people from being overweight? Banning the sale of sugary drinks and transfats doesn't do it. You can't control what people eat or drink just by banning a few sales. The government would have to determine the appropriate caloric intake for each person and find some method of making sure that each individual eats only that amount and is punished if they exceed the mandated amount. But that's only half the battle against fat. There needs to be a mandatory exercise program and some sort of biometric reader to make sure that the person actually does those exercises.

You can simply deny any medical care to the obese because their condition is their own fault. But it cannot stop there. Every person who causes their own condition should also be denied medical care. The skiier who breaks a leg should be left on the mountaintop. The sailor whose boat capsizes at sea. The 15 year old girl who got pregnant. The rape victim or robbery victim who voluntarily walked down that dark alley. Close the drug rehab centers and certainly no treatment for the alcoholic.

In Singapore chewing gum was banned for decades because chewing gum caused tooth decay and when the public pays for dental care, they have to right to ban chewing gum. There is no end to it, not really. That's what the judge told Bloomberg. There is no end to government control if it is exerted in the name of public good.

I don't agree with Bloomberg's approach nor do I agree to stopping medical care for those who are overweight, etc.

I do believe that people who contribute to their own health problems should pay higher health insurance premiums than those who live healthier lifestyles, though.

How about the government just do their fucking job and put out fires, catch criminals and patch potholes and let Americans make their own decisions concerning how they live?

Forum List

Back