My 79 year old Grandmother

Angel Heart

Conservative Hippie
Jul 6, 2007
Portland, Oregon
Was hiking the Grand Canyon and slipped today. She broke her hip. She's having a full hip replacement tomorrow. Please keep her (Margie) in your prayers and thoughts.

For those that know me... Yes, it's my ultra-liberal war protesting Grandma.

She's a strong woman. The surgery is planned for tomorrow afternoon. She said this would be her last hike of the canyon and it looks like this time it will be... This was her 5Th last trip. She had my mom, brother and I hike the canyon when I was 11. I had blisters on top of blisters.

My mom will be taking her home for a few weeks. She'll then be going to each of my uncles for a few weeks each. I know she'll be in good hands.

She's got my prayers. Sounds like a grandma with lots of stories!

I'd pray if prayer did anything. I must say I have to salute her though. I hope I'm doing stuff like hiking the grand canyon when I'm that age. Don't worry too much it's not open heart surgery. Main risk: 1% risk of infection.

she has my pagan prayers..what spirit...and it is better to break a hip coming out of the grand canyon than with your walker in the nursing home....

Hip replacement surgery is relatively common. As long as your grandmother has a reputable orthopedic surgeon and gets good therapy, she should be okay. I have a friend who's mother should be going into surgery this month for the same procedure. Sending you my prayers and good wishes. Your grandmother sounds spunky, so I'm sure she will be just fine.

Was hiking the Grand Canyon and slipped today. She broke her hip. She's having a full hip replacement tomorrow. Please keep her (Margie) in your prayers and thoughts.

For those that know me... Yes, it's my ultra-liberal war protesting Grandma.

My prayers are with her...my favorite old geezer in the world was my husband's mom, she passed on last year at 87, her name was Margie as well...

Is she near you and can you go visit her Angel, before the surgery?

some good stock, in Margies!

care

She's in Vegas currently. They flew her out of the canyon. I wish she was close enough to visit while there. When she gets to my uncles I'll be able to go and visit her. She'll be only 90 minutes north of me.

Surgery planned for this afternoon... Let you know as soon as I hear anything.

She's a strong woman. The surgery is planned for tomorrow afternoon. She said this would be her last hike of the canyon and it looks like this time it will be... This was her 5Th last trip. She had my mom, brother and I hike the canyon when I was 11. I had blisters on top of blisters.

My mom will be taking her home for a few weeks. She'll then be going to each of my uncles for a few weeks each. I know she'll be in good hands.

God bless her. She is amazing at 79 and hiking the Canyon,, I remember trying to climb a small canyon in Zion,, it almost killed me.
I'll be praying for her.

I'd pray if prayer did anything. I must say I have to salute her though. I hope I'm doing stuff like hiking the grand canyon when I'm that age. Don't worry too much it's not open heart surgery. Main risk: 1% risk of infection.

Even if all it does is comfort the soul, then it's worth it. I also put thoughts... Because I know prayer isn't for everyone.

I hear it's one of the most common surgeries. I also know that she's a fighter and will come out the other side stronger than ever. We'll have to keep up with her soon.

I'm looking forward to butting heads with her again over politics. :D Maybe now I'll get her to slow down enough to enjoy more than a few days at a time with her.

Update:

She's come out of surgery just fine... The doctor thinks she will be on her feet the day after surgery without a walker. They don't cut any muscles so the recovery will be faster.. She'll be discharged and on her way to my moms by Saturday. Most likely home with in a few weeks.

great news...wish her a speedy recovery...and watch them pain pills..nothing like granny addicted to percodans...and dont let the younger ones steal them...

Forum List

Back