My 5 point solution to the dinosaur Post Office troubles.

Feb 28, 2009
The dinosaur answers coming from the postmaster are no surprise. They lack intelligence, reason and creativity and fail to address the main issues. He wants to cut service greatly while increasing the price of a stamp. What a idiot. Here's what he should do:

1.) Charge the ever-living PISS out of bulk mailers, instead of giving them dirt-cheap rates. Mr. Postmaster, this shit is SPAM and floods your system with garbage daily, costs you billions to process. Either end the SPAM altogether or charge out the ass for it.

2.) LOWER your stamp rates, not raise them! Make "snail mail" somewhat more attractive than it is now.

3.) Offer EMAIL. Yes, that's right, EMAIL. For a small fee, folks can get themselves an official "uspost.us" email account. Hell, make that site a facebook-like deal. Get into the internet, embrace it, learn it, love it. Think about 20 million or so folks paying you $10 a year for your internet services. (That's $200 million a year there, sir. A conservative estimate of what you could generate here.) Shit, we have people DONATING even, to this message board. Why are you leaving this incredible source of income untapped?

4.) Get your cost per pound processed DOWN, by cutting waste and trimming the fat. Again, greatly reducing the SPAM you sludge out daily will help greatly with this, reducing fuel costs, labor, ALL of your bigger costs. Figure out ways to save on utilities, fuel, parts and repairs -- stop accepting the dogma that the government pays more for everything. You're not a government entity anymore, you're a for-profit enterprise that is regulated by the government. Get competitive.

5.) Fix your tarnished public image and perception. Again here -- people HATE junk mail! Get yourself a snappy ad campaign aimed at winning back hearts and minds, instead of your stupid current shit about flat-rate bulk shipping. Combine the bulk shipping info with your new campaign, get more advertising bang for the buck.

How about it? Sound like anything that has worked for others?

Blithering idiot.

Last edited:
Bulk rate subsidizes the rest of the postal system as it is. But it also is the source of most of the costs of the system as well.

they should raise the bulk rate till the post office breaks even. the mail these days is 98% spam it seems.

• Banned
Bulk rate subsidizes the rest of the postal system as it is. But it also is the source of most of the costs of the system as well.

they should raise the bulk rate till the post office breaks even. the mail these days is 98% spam it seems.
Which shows you, the Postmaster is not addressing the actual problem.

Also remove the government from the management of the postal service.

Allow the post office to act as a corporation and control their prices, control their wages, and control their hours of operation.

The P.O. has so much trouble for the very reason i'm against government getting involved in health care.....the government is involved.

"I'm from the government and I'm here to help" -9 scariest words in the english language when strung together (Paraphrased RR)

That would be the ultimate solution, however we all know there is no way that would ever happen.

Lately im less and less sure about us, as a people, lacking the capacity to control our government.

We just need to take the power back...granted the post office isn't on the "important to take back" list at the moment but still. I got to keep the attidude that we are the boss of the government and if we want them out of the post office we can make it happen. ;)

Realistically its not happening anytime soon, i know.

The dinosaur answers coming from the postmaster are no surprise. They lack intelligence, reason and creativity and fail to address the main issues. He wants to cut service greatly while increasing the price of a stamp. What a idiot. Here's what he should do:

1.) Charge the ever-living PISS out of bulk mailers, instead of giving them dirt-cheap rates. Mr. Postmaster, this shit is SPAM and floods your system with garbage daily, costs you billions to process. Either end the SPAM altogether or charge out the ass for it.

2.) LOWER your stamp rates, not raise them! Make "snail mail" somewhat more attractive than it is now.

3.) Offer EMAIL. Yes, that's right, EMAIL. For a small fee, folks can get themselves an official "uspost.us" email account. Hell, make that site a facebook-like deal. Get into the internet, embrace it, learn it, love it. Think about 20 million or so folks paying you $10 a year for your internet services. (That's $200 million a year there, sir. A conservative estimate of what you could generate here.) Shit, we have people DONATING even, to this message board. Why are you leaving this incredible source of income untapped?

4.) Get your cost per pound processed DOWN, by cutting waste and trimming the fat. Again, greatly reducing the SPAM you sludge out daily will help greatly with this, reducing fuel costs, labor, ALL of your bigger costs. Figure out ways to save on utilities, fuel, parts and repairs -- stop accepting the dogma that the government pays more for everything. You're not a government entity anymore, you're a for-profit enterprise that is regulated by the government. Get competitive.

5.) Fix your tarnished public image and perception. Again here -- people HATE junk mail! Get yourself a snappy ad campaign aimed at winning back hearts and minds, instead of your stupid current shit about flat-rate bulk shipping. Combine the bulk shipping info with your new campaign, get more advertising bang for the buck.

How about it? Sound like anything that has worked for others?

Blithering idiot.

1....bulk mail is what keeps the price of everything they do down,including stamps,if they charge the piss out of them they will lose customers....
2.....the US has the cheapest stamp rate anywhere in the world.....44 cents to go from NY to the northern part of Alaska,see who else will do that for 44 cents.....
3.....they would probably need Congress to approve this.....how many years would this take....
4....they are not a for-profit enterprise.....they are mandated by Congress to hopefully break even....if they make a profit it cant be much...
5.....people hate junk mail?....if i dont deliver the food ads on Tuesday i hear about it on Wednesday...many ladies out there want their Catalogs....more people like the shit they get then you would believe MM......some people even sign up to receive different Catalogs...lots of them...
6.....the PO has the highest rating for trust and reliability than any other Govt agency by far...what tarnished public image
7....that stupid shit about flat rate shipping has resulted in a hell of a lot of parcel business.....a guy on my route who does mail order was using UPS until this came along.....he feels this kicks UPS in the ass.....other carriers have had similar experiences.....
8.....what else do ya got.....

Last edited:

Which shows you, the Postmaster is not addressing the actual problem.

the actual problem is that Management WASTES money.....LOTS OF IT.....since they are not accountable for it like a CEO is, no one does anything about it....if the PMG and his District Managers had to answer to a board of Directors and account for the money.....things would be different.....heads dont roll in Postal Management when you fuck up....

Allow the post office to act as a corporation and control their prices, control their wages, and control their hours of operation.

The P.O. has so much trouble for the very reason i'm against government getting involved in health care.....the government is involved.

"I'm from the government and I'm here to help" -9 scariest words in the english language when strung together (Paraphrased RR)

the Govt does not run it....they own it and they control it.....meaning the PO has got to get permission to take a piss.....but the operation is run by the management in the PO....

Hmmm ... well, there used to be the "poker parties" at my house that made me nervous as hell. My ex and some of his carrier friends killed time because they had finished their routes and had time to kill before going back to the PO to clock out for the day. After he got a real job he did very well for himself - steadily moving upward and not really afraid of work.

I guess I'm just jaundiced having worked at both the federal and state government levels. Too many employees doing way too little work at jobs where they are pretty much guaranteed employment until they decide to retire. I thought I was going to lose my mind at all the human waste, the procedural waste, the paper waste, the time waste, the inability to make decisions ...just wasn't my cup of tea.

1....bulk mail is what keeps the price of everything they do down,including stamps,if they charge the piss out of them they will lose customers....
That's the idea. Slough off the massive bulk, trim it down to higher profit mailers. Get the dollars per pound processed down. Raising bulk mailing rates would cut probably only a small amount of the poundage, by the way, but would greatly jack up revenue. Let's not panic, and chicken little it by saying we can't jack those rates before we jack the rates on the folks.
2.....the US has the cheapest stamp rate anywhere in the world.....44 cents to go from NY to the northern part of Alaska,see who else will do that for 44 cents.....
Lower it. Who gives a flying red rat's ass about what the rest of the world's postal rates are.
3.....they would probably need Congress to approve this.....how many years would this take....
4....they are not a for-profit enterprise.....they are mandated by Congress to hopefully break even....if they make a profit it cant be much...
Here we see a large amount of the problem.
5.....people hate junk mail?....if i dont deliver the food ads on Tuesday i hear about it on Wednesday...many ladies out there want their Catalogs....more people like the shit they get then you would believe MM......some people even sign up to receive different Catalogs...lots of them...
The food ads really aren't the junk, the SPAM I am talking about. Plus, anything signed up for isn't junk, by definition. Most people DO hate unsolicited junk mail. Plus, it's a landfill filler, not very fucking green. It's wasteful.
6.....the PO has the highest rating for trust and reliability than any other Govt agency by far...what tarnished public image
Maybe because it is NOT a government agency? The image of the PO is flagging, look at the financial trouble its in!
7....that stupid shit about flat rate shipping has resulted in a hell of a lot of parcel business.....a guy on my route who does mail order was using UPS until this came along.....he feels this kicks UPS in the ass.....other carriers have had similar experiences.....
You might read back and find where I said "stop flat rate shipping." You won't find it. I said, get a better ad campaign that incorporates that service instead of wasting advert dollars focusing ONLY on that.

Also, I see you had no comment about embracing the internet. No answer for why a potential $200 million of annual revenue is being ignored. I'll wait.

What's killing the post office is its legacy costs for current and future retirees, something in the neighborhood of $50+ billion that grows by 6-7 additional billion a year.

A year or so ago I read it was the third largest employer in the U.S., behind Wal-Mart and the Defense Department. And it has the country's largest vehicle fleet that consumes about $500 million a year in gas, depending on prices of course.

Like Social Security, Medicare, etc. its debt is unsustainable, courtesy of those wise and esteemed idiots we've all been sending to Washington decade after decade after decade.

the Govt does not run it....they own it and they control it.....meaning the PO has got to get permission to take a piss.....but the operation is run by the management in the PO....

The management is restricted by the government in what actions it can and can not perform. Hence the government "runs" the post office. If it wasn't for the governments restrictions on stuff, like what I described above, the post office wouldn't have a problem.

The management is restricted by the government in what actions it can and can not perform. Hence the government "runs" the post office. If it wasn't for the governments restrictions on stuff, like what I described above, the post office wouldn't have a problem.
This important point, I should have addressed in the OP better.

My point is, the Postmaster should be asking Congress for the 5 points I have outlined, instead of the old, pat answers he's always given. He needs to aim higher than he is.

What a communist idea.
First, the bulk mail is a giantic part of the post office's revenue. It's there cash cow.
Second, people don't want telemarketing, they don't want email spam and they don't want mass-mailing. What bullshit! Companies mass-mail because it WORKS! If you don't like what you get TOSS IT OUT! Getting rid of bulk mailers will cost a lot of jobs and make it a heck of a lot harder for new companies to break into markets and gain market share. What is your next regulation? Getting rid of TV ads!
Third, hit businesses harder during a recession! That is a brillant one! Why not raise the corporate tax to 80%! :cuckoo:

Wow, even smarter. Snail mail for consumers is inelastic to price. A main reason the post office is hurting is because people pay their bills online and there IS LESS BULK MAIL TRAFFIC!

Wow that is brillant, I will open an email account for a fee when there are dozen of others where I can do it for free. Guarantee your email idea would be subpar to even hotmail and would end up being a red mark on the post office's books!

Again bulk mail is the post office's cash cow and you want to kill and end it! Glad your not my company's CEO! :lol: Funny how you think reducing revenues will equate to more profits! :cuckoo: Do you work in the Obama administration?

LOL, the only tarnished image it has is that it wastes money. Most people joke that its unreliable, but most people have utter confidence when they mail something. Rebuilding the image is well another unneeded expense.

How about it?
To be blunt and to the point: Like SHIT!!!

Last edited:
What a communist ideal.
First, the bulk mail is a giantic part of the post offices mail.
Second, people don't want telemarketing, they don't want email spam and they don't want mass-mailing. What bullshit! Companies mass-mail because it WORKS! If you don't like what you get TOSS IT OUT! Getting rid of bulk mailers will cost a lot of jobs and make it a heck of a lot harder for new companies to break into markets and gain market share. What is your next requirement? Getting rid of TV ads!
Third, hit businesses harder during a recession! That is a brillant one! :cuckoo:

Wow, even smarter. Snail mail is inelastic to price. A main reason post office is hurting is because people pay their bills online and there IS LESS BULK MAIL TRAFFIC!

Wow that is brillant, I will open an email account for a fee when there are dozen of others where I can do it for free. Guarantee your email idea would be subpar to even hotmail and would end up being a red mark on the post office's books!

Again bulk mail is the post office's cash cow and you want to kill end that! Glad your not my companies CEO! :lol: Funny how you think reducing revenues will equate to more profits! :cuckoo:

LOL, the only tarnished image it has is that it wastes money. Most people joke that its unreliable, but most people have utter confidence when they mail something. Rebuilding the image is well another money pit!

How about it?
To be blunt and to the point: Like SHIT!!!
~yawn~

Not that I have any strong feelings about it or anything but...

...Yes, yes yes YES, ten thousand times YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forum List

Back