Mutiny! Navy secretary backs SEAL's expulsion review

The officers involved are definitely active duty, and the SecNavy (while NOT active duty) can be fired...

But tell the SecNavy not to worry... According to Vindman, Ukraine is hiring!!!
Here's the thing...there's a reason for peer review--only those who have been there..at the pointy end..are competent to judge---and if they have issues..not that I'm saying they do--it means something. Not in law..or to Gallagher's pension...but to his rep--if a President who has never served...must continue to ride to his rescue...even in the face of his peer's disapproval--well--that says a lot.

You see, your opinion..my opinion--even the President's opinion..means little to those who serve...but the opinion of their brothers and sisters-in arms--means quite a bit. IMO.
So thanks for saying your opinion doesn't matter...

As a vet, I can respect that...
LOL..fuck off dipshit! I spent 6 years in the Navy...so kiss my ass. I do recall saying YOUR opinion means little as well..and now..even less than that.
So you spent 6 years in the Navy, and don't understand the chain of command???

The CinC gives the orders, and the SecNavy (and the commanders) carry them out...

If they refuse, they do it at their own peril (according to the UCMJ, for service members)...
Nope..you're wrong..simple as that...perhaps it is YOU who don't understad how the chain works. The SecNav is under no military obligation to obey the CiC. None. He is not a serving officer. He serves at the pleasure of the President..and can be fired..but not ordered or compelled.
(d)
The Secretary of the Navy is also responsible for such other activities as may be prescribed by law or by the President or Secretary of Defense.

Actually..they are just seating a review board..they've taken no action..and it is within the realm of possibility that they would exonerate him.

Again, why? He's slated to retire in a few months.... I mean, it might make a difference if they planned on sending him out with a team to do more missions... but this is just the Navy trying to save face that they brought a bullshit prosecution they couldn't sustain.

the VP is in the chain of command
***yawn*** stuck on this are you? It's not as cut and dried as you might think...but no matter. I was speaking of serving officers--of which he is not...

Any comment on the OP? Just curious...I know I'll be sorry I asked...LOL!
your post:
Just an informational note..the SecNavy is a civilian and is not in the military chain of command.
..you can't admit you are wrong...yes, it is cut and dried ..you were talking about the CHAIN OF COMMAND
WTF ever....always yapping about minutia---and never about substance...total light weight.
the SECNAV IS in the chain of command--military and otherwise
plain and simple
it's RIGHT THERE
You stupid piece of shit..I acknowledged that 5 posts ago! Part of the chain of command..and serving military..are not the same thing.
no you didn't ....
your post was not even close to what you said:
what you said after I caught your PREVIOUS idiocy:
Well, fair enough--I meant serving military
your previous idiocy:
Just an informational note..the SecNavy is a civilian and is not in the military chain of command.
both of those have very different meanings
so either man up and admit you are wrong--or be known as a jackass coward

- "The Commander in Chief, from whom you are sworn to take orders, has given you one: REINSTATE THIS OFFICER. To refuse to do so, is insubordination. Insubordination in the military is a punishable offense."-

and that's all there is to it.

there is the chain of command--NOT the military chain of command
I think he is:
I was in the USMC --we had to know the chain of command
Navy Chain Of Command
Learn About the Navy Chain of Command and How It's Organized
Well, fair enough--I meant serving military..rather than the political elements. The President is commander in chief..but the Vice President..in NOT the vice commander in chief..now is he? LOL! More of a CiC in waiting...but you are correct--even if some of the political elements are more honorary...everyone kisses the SecNav's ass--and he rates a salute...but whether his orders would be lawful--when given to the Captain of a ship in wartime..during combat--would be a legal sinkhole.
the VP is in the chain of command

Negative Ghostrider! The pattern is full!

The Vice President is NOT in the military chain of command, until he becomes President and then, CIC!

there is the chain of command--NOT the military chain of command
I think he is:
...the POTUS is not in the military [ a civilian ] --but he's definitely the top man who gives the orders
I was in the USMC --we had to know the chain of command

maintaining a civilian status
Navy Chain Of Command
Learn About the Navy Chain of Command and How It's Organized
Commander-in-chief - Wikipedia
The Vice President isn't a part of the Chain unless the President is unable to perform his duties.

Seems Trump is too lazy to offer an official order and it's being argued that a tweet is worthless.

HALIFAX, Nova Scotia (AP) — The secretary of the U.S. Navy said Saturday he doesn’t consider a tweet by President Donald Trump an order and would need a formal order to stop a review of a sailor who could lose his status as a Navy SEAL.

Secretary of Navy says Trump’s tweet is not a formal order

Trump wouldn't even have to do anything but sign it.

It would appear that the Navy is prepared to go the distance with this...quite odd---such passive resistance is a bit unusual. The claim that a tweet is not a lawful order might hold water...but usually all the CoiC has to do is hint at his desires..and that's that! They acknowledge that they would have to obey a direct order..but insisting that Trump issue such...is pretty insubordinate!

Navy Is Said to Proceed With Disciplinary Plans Against Edward Gallagher

"The secretary of the Navy and the admiral who leads the SEALs have threatened to resign or be fired if plans to expel a commando from the elite unit in a war crimes case are halted by President Trump, administration officials said Saturday.
The high-level pushback to Mr. Trump’s unambiguous assertion on Twitter this past week that the commando, Chief Petty Officer Edward Gallagher, should remain in the unit was an extraordinary development in what was already an extraordinary case, one with few precedents in the history of presidential relations with the American military.

The Navy secretary, Richard V. Spencer, later denied that he had threatened to resign but said disciplinary plans against Chief Gallagher would proceed because he did not consider Mr. Trump’s statement on Twitter to be a formal order. Mr. Spencer added that the president, as commander in chief, had the authority to intervene and that it would stop “the process.”

Chief Gallagher, who counts Mr. Trump as one of his most vocal supporters, was accused of shooting civilians, murdering a captive Islamic State fighter with a hunting knife in Iraq, and threatening to kill SEALs who reported him, among other misconduct. His court-martial ended in acquittal on those charges.
But the Navy ultimately demoted the chief, who was convicted of one charge: bringing discredit to the armed forces by posing for photos with the teenage captive’s dead body. Last Friday, Mr. Trump reversed that demotion, angering Navy officials, including the commander of the SEALs, Rear Adm. Collin Green, who had little choice but to accept the reversal. Nonetheless, they continued with their plans to eject Chief Gallagher from the unit.
On Thursday, the president intervened again in the case, saying that the commando should not be ousted.
Referring to the pin that signifies membership in the SEALs, Mr. Trump said on Twitter that “The Navy will NOT be taking away Warfighter and Navy Seal Eddie Gallagher’s Trident Pin.” He added: “This case was handled very badly from the beginning. Get back to business!”
One argument that officials said the Pentagon is relying on is the assumption that a tweet does not constitute a formal presidential order. Defense Secretary Mark T. Esper and General Mark Milley, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, conveyed to the president that if he followed up that tweet with a direct order, there would be huge consequences: Mr. Trump would lose Mr. Spencer and Admiral Green, further infuriate his top military leadership and do untold damage to decades of military justice doctrine, according to administration officials."

Last edited:
Navy secretary backs admirals in tussle with Trump over SEAL trident, report says

The Vice Admiral will be relieved of his command if he doesn't follow the orders of the CNC.........PERIOD........

They are covering the tracks of the Court Martial .........which via the powers of the President has pardoned.

The democrats are sending a LOUD message with the impeachment Inquisition that they will back anyone why attacks the president, even if they commit treason. No doubt the dims have offered the Sec. Navy a plum position at MSNBC, CNN, or some other party affiliate.

Didn't take all that long....off with his head!

Pentagon chief asks for Navy secretary’s resignation over private proposal in Navy SEAL’s case

"Defense Secretary Mark T. Esper asked for the resignation of Navy Secretary Richard V. Spencer on Sunday after losing confidence in him over his handling of the case of a Navy SEAL accused of war crimes in Iraq, the Pentagon said.
Spencer’s resignation came in the wake of the controversial case of Chief Petty Officer Edward Gallagher, a Navy SEAL who was accused of war crimes on a 2017 deployment. He was acquitted of murder but convicted in July of posing with the corpse of a captive.
Esper asked for Spencer’s resignation after learning that he had privately proposed to White House officials that if they did not interfere with proceedings against Gallagher, then Spencer would ensure that Gallagher was able to retire as a Navy SEAL, with his Trident insignia.

Spencer’s private proposal to the White House — which he did not share with Esper over the course of several conversations about the matter — contradicted his public position on the Gallagher case, chief Pentagon spokesman Jonathan Hoffman said in a statement.
Esper said in the statement that he was “deeply troubled by this conduct.”"

It's telling that Trump called for the death penalty for 5 black men before they were ever convicted of anything but isn't interested in holding the white man to answer for what he did.

He is too cowardly to put his name on it though.

Seems Trump is too lazy to offer an official order and it's being argued that a tweet is worthless.

HALIFAX, Nova Scotia (AP) — The secretary of the U.S. Navy said Saturday he doesn’t consider a tweet by President Donald Trump an order and would need a formal order to stop a review of a sailor who could lose his status as a Navy SEAL.

Secretary of Navy says Trump’s tweet is not a formal order

Trump wouldn't even have to do anything but sign it.

Secretary Esper has said that he was given the order directly by the President when meeting with him in the White House. Such orders don't need to be put on paper.

It's telling that Trump called for the death penalty for 5 black men before they were ever convicted of anything but isn't interested in holding the white man to answer for what he did.

Instead of just spouting off like the troll you are, cite a specific link to your claim.

Instead of just spouting off like the troll you are, cite a specific link to your claim.

I did .

Forum List

Back