Music Trivia

OK - here's one. This is the kind of story that reaffirms my faith in humanity. It's kind of tough, so I'll give out some good clues.

In 1959, a struggling songwriter offered to sell one of his tunes outright to a major country star for $500. The songwriter was desperate; his kids were hungry, and his utilities were about to be shut off.

The star listened to the song, and, in essence, told the writer, "I'm not going to buy your song. It's a great song, it's going to be a huge hit, and you're going to make a boatload of money on the royalties. What I will do is ADVANCE you $500, record your song, and we'll all get rich".

The star could easily have screwed the desperate writer; instead, he did the right thing.

The song was a country megahit titled "Hello, Walls". Who was the singer? Who was the writer?

musicman said:
OK - here's one. This is the kind of story that reaffirms my faith in humanity. It's kind of tough, so I'll give out some good clues.

In 1959, a struggling songwriter offered to sell one of his tunes outright to a major country star for $500. The songwriter was desperate; his kids were hungry, and his utilities were about to be shut off.

The star listened to the song, and, in essence, told the writer, "I'm not going to buy your song. It's a great song, it's going to be a huge hit, and you're going to make a boatload of money on the royalties. What I will do is ADVANCE you $500, record your song, and we'll all get rich".

The star could easily have screwed the desperate writer; instead, he did the right thing.

The song was a country megahit titled "Hello, Walls". Who was the singer? Who was the writer?

ok first clue :laugh:

Not Johnny or Elvis. Not really a household name along the lines of those two guys, but pretty big in the country scene. And - as it turns out - a pretty decent chap besides.

Initials: F.Y.

Er...in his mother's eyes, I guess he was always fair and young...

EDIT: Oops - guess that last clue wasn't needed - LOL!

Not really a question, but I thought I'd post one of my favorite Johnny Carson bits. Under the heading, Phrases You'll Never Hear:

"The Porsche belongs to the banjo player...".

musicman said:
Not really a question, but I thought I'd post one of my favorite Johnny Carson bits. Under the heading, Phrases You'll Never Hear:

"The Porsche belongs to the banjo player...".

lol!! :laugh:

OK, I have one. What lead singer in a rock 'n roll band studied at the London School of Economics?

musicman said:

Darn, too late for this one. Classic country. "Hello ceiling, I'm gonna stare at you awhile'. :laugh:

Forum List

Back