Murdoch's News of the World hacks dead teenager's phone

London (CNN) -- Andy Coulson, the prime minister's former press secretary, was arrested Friday in connection with allegations of phone hacking and corruption in a case that promises to be a growing political liability for David Cameron.

The scandal has prompted questions over the prime minister's judgment in hiring Coulson after he resigned as editor of the News of the World over the allegations.

Speaking shortly before his former aide's arrest was announced, Cameron went on the defensive at a Downing Street news conference Friday, saying: "The decision to hire him was mine, and mine alone."

He said he gave Coulson a second chance after assurances that he was not involved in wrongdoing at the newspaper.

Coulson had resigned from the News of the World over previous phone hacking allegations, but has denied knowledge of the alleged activities.

Former Cameron aide arrested in phone hacking scandal - CNN.com

I think more are going to get arrested over this crime.

And they should.

The NotW hacked phones - not just of celebrities and politicians, but of missing children - raising false hope that they were alive. They hacked the phones of the families of the dead from July 7, 2005 terror attacks in London. They hacked the phones of the families of Britain's war heroes. They absolutely deserve to be closed down.

I don't pretend to know English law, but in America, hacking cell phones will land one in prison. I does sound like someone needs to go to jail over this.

Having said that, anyone who calls for a media outlet to be closed just because they disagree with that station's coverage.... those people are unAmerican.... that's Chris. One wonders how many more on the left would be happy to see Fox closed down... for no other reason than they just don't like what Fox says.

Chris is a fascist thug - most leftists are. Silencing the opposition is the main method of the left.

Telling the other side, as Chris Wallace said to Jon Stewart, is not fair and balanced.

The thing about you fascists is that you lack any semblance of logic or education.

Go sit on a teeter-totter by yourself - do you balance? No? You need something on the other side to balance.

I understand, I really do - if all the facts are known, the left loses. Only by controlling the media and keeping the public ignorant can the left retain power. Without Fox, the NY Times and MSNBC could demand that we have a robust economy and zero unemployment - without someone to expose the lie, they could say what they need to say in order to promote Dear Leader. They basically do anyway, but Fox exposes the lies.

Horseshit.

No one on the left if against freedom of speech.

It's just that you define "freedom of speech" as being able to chant party mantras.

You seek to use the implied force of the federal government to silence opposing views - fact. You did it with the "fairness doctrine," you do it with the war on opposition news sources, you do it when shout down Coulter or others who attempt to speak.

You fascists are a bunch of fucking thugs - that is simple and irrefutable fact.

He's shutting the rag down.

I guess right-wingers are disgusted and appalled.

Disgusted and appalled that they hacked cell phones?

Of course we are - we have values. We are not fascist democrats who condemn the other side regardless of the facts. Again, I don't know English law, but someone should go to jail over this.

Disgusted and appalled that they hacked cell phones?

Of course we are - we have values. We are not fascist democrats who condemn the other side regardless of the facts. Again, I don't know English law, but someone should go to jail over this.

Some already have. Others are likely to. The former Editor in Chief, Andy Coulson, was arrested today. Even more worrying, it is likely that some of London's Metropolitan Police will also be facing charges of corruption.... including officers who conducted the first inquiry into this whole fiasco in 2006.

And.... it's not just the NotW..... other of Britain's tabloid press are also likely to be under investigation for the same tactics. That kind of blows the idiot lefties theory that it's Murdock.... it's not. It is systemic in the British tabloid press.

Right wingers love Murdoch. And everything he stands for. They have the same ethics. The same values. He talks for them.

I'm neither disgusted, nor appalled. I am interested in why he chose to shut down the NotW so fast.

I am entertained by the American left who seem unable to grasp very basic facts about what is going on in the UK.

If anyone on either side of the political spectrum (especially in the UK) thinks that Rupert Murdoch will see the inside of a British prison cell, then they're dangerously naive. Rupert Murdoch's media empire spans the political divide. When Tony Blair was in power, The Sun, one of Murdoch's tabloid rags, supported Blair's left-wing Labour party. Murdoch also the privelege of being the second private audience after the American President (Clinton) that followed Blair's election triumph in 1997. When David Cameron came into power, The Times, one of Murdoch's broadsheets, pledged allegience to Cameron's right-wing Conservative party. And guess who enjoyed the second private audience after the American President? Yup, that's right. Step forward, Mr. Murdoch! If you're blind to what I'm tacitly infering, I'll spell it out clearly. Rupert Murdoch is an incredibly powerful media baron, and will use whatever he has at his disposal, or means necessary, to distance himself and his family from this scandal.

Now, I myself am going to skirt speculation in this paragraph, but bear with me, and I'll provide credible links to what could very well be true. Media insiders believe that Murdoch is closing the NoTW so he can legally destroy records i.e - tangible evidence that could be used against him in any following investigation.

Link - Reuters

Except for the latest controversial revelations, this whole scandal is incredibly old news. Anyone that reads the last bastion of honest investigative journalism, Private Eye, will have been following this for the past five years at least. But the scandal goes much deeper than phone hacking. No, one of the private investigators at the centre of this ugly affair, though so-far untouchable, was a now-aquitted defendant in London's longest running murder inquiry. Jonathan Rees is a partner in a well-known private investigation company, and was charged with being complicit in the murder of Daniel Morgan, a fellow private investigator, in 1987. Despite numerous investigations and trials, no-one has been convicted of the murder. Rees is believed to be in command of a network of sources that holds damning evidence against senior members of London's Metropolitan Police.

Lastly, credit where credit's due. Through determined hard work and due dilligence, this whole scandal was exposed after a journalist at the (left-wing) Guardian spotted an email printed in a gossip column in one of Murdoch's tabloids, The Sun. This is a perfect case of the accused shooting themselves squarely in the foot. I'm a conservative, but as I've already said/written, credit where credit's due.

P.s. I've written this before, but I'll write it again. If you're actually interested in reading about events and scandals long before they're published by the mainstream press, subscribe to Private Eye. Nearly every major story I've read about or seen on television was reported indepth by Private Eye long before it hits the mainstream headlines. Private Eye is so notoriously accurate that it's required reading for all serious journalists, politicians or anyone that trades in current affairs. If you don't believe me, ask the FBI and SEC. It's required reading in their economic crimes divisions, along with nearly every law enforcement agency in Europe. Its editor, Ian Hislop, holds the record for being the most sued man in British legal history. The magazine is regularly in court, but has only ever lost once. I hold no stake in the magazine, but I sincerely advise anyone interested in reading about current affairs long before they hit the headlines.

Private Eye.

If anyone on either side of the political spectrum (especially in the UK) thinks that Rupert Murdoch will see the inside of a British prison cell, then they're dangerously naive. Rupert Murdoch's media empire spans the political divide. When Tony Blair was in power, The Sun, one of Murdoch's tabloid rags, supported Blair's left-wing Labour party. Murdoch also the privelege of being the second private audience after the American President (Clinton) that followed Blair's election triumph in 1997. When David Cameron came into power, The Times, one of Murdoch's broadsheets, pledged allegience to Cameron's right-wing Conservative party. And guess who enjoyed the second private audience after the American President? Yup, that's right. Step forward, Mr. Murdoch! If you're blind to what I'm tacitly infering, I'll spell it out clearly. Rupert Murdoch is an incredibly powerful media baron, and will use whatever he has at his disposal, or means necessary, to distance himself and his family from this scandal.

Now, I myself am going to skirt speculation in this paragraph, but bear with me, and I'll provide credible links to what could very well be true. Media insiders believe that Murdoch is closing the NoTW so he can legally destroy records i.e - tangible evidence that could be used against him in any following investigation.

Link - Reuters

Except for the latest controversial revelations, this whole scandal is incredibly old news. Anyone that reads the last bastion of honest investigative journalism, Private Eye, will have been following this for the past five years at least. But the scandal goes much deeper than phone hacking. No, one of the private investigators at the centre of this ugly affair, though so-far untouchable, was a now-aquitted defendant in London's longest running murder inquiry. Jonathan Rees is a partner in a well-known private investigation company, and was charged with being complicit in the murder of Daniel Morgan, a fellow private investigator, in 1987. Despite numerous investigations and trials, no-one has been convicted of the murder. Rees is believed to be in command of a network of sources that holds damning evidence against senior members of London's Metropolitan Police.

Lastly, credit where credit's due. Through determined hard work and due dilligence, this whole scandal was exposed after a journalist at the (left-wing) Guardian spotted an email printed in a gossip column in one of Murdoch's tabloids, The Sun. This is a perfect case of the accused shooting themselves squarely in the foot. I'm a conservative, but as I've already said/written, credit where credit's due.

P.s. I've written this before, but I'll write it again. If you're actually interested in reading about events and scandals long before they're published by the mainstream press, subscribe to Private Eye. Nearly every major story I've read about or seen on television was reported indepth by Private Eye long before it hits the mainstream headlines. Private Eye is so notoriously accurate that it's required reading for all serious journalists, politicians or anyone that trades in current affairs. If you don't believe me, ask the FBI and SEC. It's required reading in their economic crimes divisions, along with nearly every law enforcement agency in Europe. Its editor, Ian Hislop, holds the record for being the most sued man in British legal history. The magazine is regularly in court, but has only ever lost once. I hold no stake in the magazine, but I sincerely advise anyone interested in reading about current affairs long before they hit the headlines.

Private Eye.

Right wingers love Murdoch. And everything he stands for. They have the same ethics. The same values. He talks for them.

I'm neither disgusted, nor appalled. I am interested in why he chose to shut down the NotW so fast.

A cynical attempt to prevent the backlash affecting the rest of his media empire. People like Murdoch never do anything for moral reasons!

A cynical attempt to prevent the backlash affecting the rest of his media empire. People like Murdoch never do anything for moral reasons!

Absolutely right. It has nothing to do with morals, and everything to do with his attempt to buy BSkyB. Sacrifice the little fish - along with the workers - to catch the big fish.

But.... what it isn't.... it isn't anything to do with right wing or left wing agendas. It's about money. However, it appears that the American left are too stupid to understand that.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

If it has nothing to do with right or left then why does Rupert think Fox needs an agenda?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

If it has nothing to do with right or left then why does Rupert think Fox needs an agenda?

The closure of the NotW was caused by the underhanded, immoral and illegal actions of its journalists. That has nothing to do with right or left wing agendas.... just your standard corruption, and law breaking.

Idiot.

Murdoch threw NoTW under the bus because he wants to control BSkyB and, as Swagger mentioned, possibly be able to destroy any incriminating evidence if thats the case.

Last edited:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Another moron trying to import their particular brand of partisan hackery into a subject she knows little about and a country she knows absolutely nothing about. Your inability to think objectively is well demonstrated in this post!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Another moron trying to import their particular brand of partisan hackery into a subject she knows little about and a country she knows absolutely nothing about. Your inability to think objectively is well demonstrated in this post!

:clap2:

I do apologize, Colin.... it appears that the left wing of America is incapable of following this complex topic. :lol:

If the BSkyB deal doesn't go through for Murdoch, because of this criminal activity, it will be a major body blow to NewsCorp lol

Forum List

Back