Murder rate drops as Gun sales soar.

Not even just rural America. The media goes to great lengths to conceal the facts when a spree killer is stopped by armed citizens, but it happens quite a bit.

Interesting...can you provide us some examples of a spree killer being stopped by armed citizens?

Yes, I can. Here's a story in the NY Times. Note that they don't tell you HOW the shooter was stopped.

Coal Town's Hopes Clouded by Killings Of 3 at Law School - NYTimes.com

What they don't tell you is that two other students retrieved their personal firearms from their cars and subdued the shooter.

Here's another one, also from the NY Times.

Witnesses Recount Shooting At Mississippi High School - NYTimes.com

What THIS story doesn't mention is that he was stopped by the armed assistant principal, who got his gun out of his car.

I could go on, but I believe your question has been answered.

There are a plethora of stories out there. RW doesn't want to admit that poeople have the right Via the Second Amendment to defend thier Liberty or that of others.

Interesting...can you provide us some examples of a spree killer being stopped by armed citizens?

Yes, I can. Here's a story in the NY Times. Note that they don't tell you HOW the shooter was stopped.

What they don't tell you is that two other students retrieved their personal firearms from their cars and subdued the shooter.

What THIS story doesn't mention is that he was stopped by the armed assistant principal, who got his gun out of his car.

There are a plethora of stories out there. RW doesn't want to admit that poeople have the right Via the Second Amendment to defend thier Liberty or that of others.

OR that they do a remarkable job of it.

OR that they do a remarkable job of it.

*Exactly*

Wonderful statement. Right on the mark.

More stories.
Armed Citizen: Using Firearms for Self Defense

While taking groceries to her car, a man approached an 82-year-old woman and said something horrible to her: "This is your day. You are too old to be alive anyway." According to police, he then grabbed the woman's cane and beat her. Despite the savage assault, the elderly woman managed to reach into her purse, draw her gun and fire a shot. The man fled and, upon hearing the shot, store employees quickly came to the woman's aid. The self-proclaimed "stubborn, old broad" is badly bruised but will fully recover. "If I go naturally or to a sickness or something, fine," she said. "I'm ready to go, but I'm not ready to let some idiot like that take me out." (KVOA-TV, Tucson, AZ, 03/15/10)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Daniel Kaplan was parked in front of his business when two men sprinted toward his vehicle. One of them reached inside, punched Kaplan three times in the face and stuck a gun to Kaplan's head. Then Kaplan's instincts kicked in. Police say he grabbed the suspect's gun with his left hand and kicked open the car door into his assailant. Kaplan then reached under the seat and grabbed his .45-cal. Glock pistol. "I got five shots off as quickly as I could," he recalls. "I was fighting for my life." At least one of the suspects was shot. Both fled the scene and are being sought by police. "I'm happy to be here," said a relieved Kaplan. (Columbus Ledger-Enquirer, Columbus, GA, 03/04/10)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A crazed, knife-wielding man attempted to stab people at random in a convenience store parking lot. Police said he'd already chased a delivery driver and others when he ran down a car leaving the lot. He lunged at the car's driver with the knife, wounding him. That's when the driver, whose two young stepdaughters were in the vehicle, produced a handgun and fired about six shots, killing the attacker. The driver will recover from his injuries. "You've got to protect yourself," said witness Byron Cook. "He had his two kids in the car and they were terrified." (WREG-TV, Memphis, TN, 03/05/10)

Maureen Cassidy awoke to a loud noise and got up to investigate. To her horror, a man with a knife had forced his way into her home. She hurried back to the bedroom and woke her husband, who got his Smith & Wesson 9 mm handgun. The husband stood in the doorway and yelled to the intruder that he had a gun. Inexplicably undeterred, the intruder advanced toward the husband, who fired a shot. The wounded intruder fled the home. Police found him hiding in the bushes next door. A second person was also arrested in connection with the invasion. (The Palm Beach Post, West Palm Beach, FL, 03/13/10)

Police said that early one morning an armed suspect burst into a home office in an area described by one resident as "a quiet neighborhood." Hearing the burglar, the resident quickly armed himself with a firearm. When the burglar approached, the resident feared for his life and shot the suspect, killing him. "I'm not for someone being shot," said Nora Dietz, a concerned neighbor, "but you have to protect yourself." (The Baltimore Sun, Baltimore, MD, 03/29/10)

Raymond Michel and his wife, Dawn, returned home with their grandson when the 9-year-old noticed a suspicious light in a downstairs bedroom. Dawn investigated and found a few items in disarray. Then she found a garbage bag outside with money and jewelry in it, and a window screen was damaged. She ran to tell her husband that someone had been—or still was—in the house. Michel got his handgun and walked upstairs. Items were strewn about the floor and a bathroom door was shut that the Michels always keep open. Michel kicked the door open and it struck the intruder. The suspect began to aim a rifle at the homeowner, who quickly fired his handgun, shattering the door and narrowly missing the intruder. The suspect laid on the ground as every-one waited for police. (The Bakersfield Californian, Bakersfield, CA, 03/04/10)

A man wasn't home when an alarm indicated a possible break-in. He quickly called his neighbor, Gaylon Crawford, and asked him to check on the house. The neighbor noticed a door was forced open and the lights were on. Once inside he found two men wearing dark clothing. Police said the men claimed they were retrieving their tools, but Crawford didn't buy it. He drew his handgun and told the men to put their hands up and wait for police. Instead, one of the men charged Crawford, who shot him. The suspects fled. The wounded man was arrested when he sought treatment for a gunshot wound at the hospital. His accomplice is still at large. (White Mountain Independent, Show Low, AZ, 03/09/10)

Not even just rural America. The media goes to great lengths to conceal the facts when a spree killer is stopped by armed citizens, but it happens quite a bit.

Interesting...both of your examples detail an armed gunman mowing down fellow students. In neither case does it show where arms were used to subdue him. I note that neither gunman was harmed

You need a real example...not "Trust me"

Show me any post where I have ever said people do not have second amendment rights to own a gun.....I have only said that the country pays a price for the open ownership of guns

Show me any post where I have ever said people do not have second amendment rights to own a gun.....I have only said that the country pays a price for the open ownership of guns

Yes SewerBoy the price of citizens being able to protect themselves.

Interesting...both of your examples detail an armed gunman mowing down fellow students. In neither case does it show where arms were used to subdue him. I note that neither gunman was harmed

Like this?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ExC7fE1LaY]YouTube - 911 Caller With Gun in Home Invasion[/ame]

Or this?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzyTXqxVojc&feature=related]YouTube - Woman Uses Handgun to Shoot Invader[/ame]

I believe I specifically pointed out that the media very carefully did NOT explain in either case HOW the gunman was subdued. That was one of my POINTS, in fact: that the media makes a point of not telling people these things. However, either of them is easily checked if you want to pretend that I'm lying about the armed bystanders.

Appalachian School of Law Shootings

MISSISSIPPI GOTHIC - TIME

Hell, even Wikipedia has both stories.

What is so difficult to understand?

If you are a criminal in Washington, D.C., you know that virtually nobody can legally carry a firearm, therefore, there is little risk robbing someone in the street. Thus, violent crime is greater.

If you are a criminal in Michigan, you know that it's legal for those that get a Concealed Pistol's License to carry a handgun, therefore, you know that if you try and rob someone in Michigan there is a greater likelihood that you make get shot and killed. Therefore, crime is less.

An armed society is a polite society.

there's a lot of truth to the precepts of this argument, and i have seen first hand how that played out in los angeles, where you are hard-pressed to own a gun legally at all.

then again, detroit is in michigan, and could give DC a run for top billing any given week.

growing up in LA, there was respect for folks known to have guns on them and all through their house, but it empowered the element of surprise more than the element of politeness.

big cities, crime, gangs and drugs + guns is a different equation than adding guns to any other picture. the frequent thefts of legally acquired guns in our cities is another factor to consider.

Yes SewerBoy the price of citizens being able to protect themselves.

And as I have previously posted.....the US has a murder rate 2-5 times that of countries that do not have unrestricted access to guns. That is the price we pay for the second amendment

I have never advocated repeal of the second amendment or removing guns from the populace. Only acknowledged that there is a down side

Like this?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ExC7fE1LaY]YouTube - 911 Caller With Gun in Home Invasion[/ame]

Amway..

Do you understand what a spree killing is? Obviously not

Like this?

Amway..

Do you understand what a spree killing is? Obviously not

You were already provided 2 examples and chose to ignore them. Go figure.

STOP THE PRESSES!!!

I agree to a point. I think everyone that has a firearm needs to be trained on how to safely use it.

To get my Concealed Pistol's License I had to go through a class portion, and then a range portion. I also had to get fingerprinted.

But you didn't to vote. You didn't have to pass a test to exercise any other right you posses, why this one?

Voting doesn't have the potential to kill people if you don't know what you are doing.

No rights are unlimited.

You can't vote until you reach a certain age for example.

Free speech does not include yelling fire in a crowded theatre.

Nice attempt at a correlation

Can you prove any connection between the two?

Can you show statistics of guns being used to prevent murders?
Can you show that improved police strategies, crackdowns on gangs and socioeconomic factors have not had more impact?
Can you explain why we still have five times the murder rate of countries that don't have open gun ownership?

They can't.

Because guns don't affect crime, except to make it more lethal.

Free speech does not include yelling fire in a crowded theatre.

Oh it most certainly does. It only is unprotected if there is not a fire AND you incite a panic/riot. Thus it becomes illegal once you have committed an act that creates a dangerous situation for others. All of which is not at all related to gun ownership.

Funny how those that support Homeland Security and No Fly Lists are the very same that want to make it legal for mental patients to buy assault weapons.
I support the 2nd Amendment and law enforcement's support of sanity in keeping military weapons off the streets.

Forum List

Back