Mt. St. Helen's

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Annie, Sep 27, 2004.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    http://www.pnsn.org/NEWS/PRESS_RELEASES/MSH_09_2004.html

2. Merlin1047

Merlin1047 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +450
    The wife and I vacationed on the left coast about two years after St. Helen's blew. When we drove through the area, we were amazed at the huge piles of volcanic ash still in evidence along the roadside.

We stopped at the local airport and chartered a plane to fly us on a tour of the area. We flew to the mountain and over the crater. All that was impressive. But what was truly awesome was the utter devastation of the countryside. The only color we could see from our vantage point over the mountain to the northern horizon was grey.

3. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    Seeing as how I live about 100 miles from Mt. St. Helens, I will certainly be watching this one closely.

4. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    No worries - there's not much left to come flowing down our rivers.

5. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    side note, gwb was already blamed for the hurricanes; I wonder how long before Dino Rossi is blamed for this?

6. 007

007 Charter Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,925
    I was just watching last night a thing about the 1980 eruption. They had the most detailed slow motion footage of the eruption I've ever seen. It was mind boogling how much of that vulcano actually blew away.

I was stationed at Nellis AFB in Las Vegas at the time, and had a friend from Walla Walla, Washington. He went up there shortly after the eruption to visit family and see the devastation, and he brought back a jar of vulcanic dust. It was really fine. It looked and felt like grey talcum powder.

7. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741

One reason for the slow-mo is, there was no surviving video of the actual eruption. :) When one goes to one of the ranger stations up there, one can see a 30? 20? minute documentary with great sound, visuals, etc.

8. KarlMarx

KarlMarx Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +490
    Here is something to think about. The 1980 eruption of Mt. St. Helens was about 1% of the explosive force of the largest recorded volcanic eruption (Krakatao). And there is a lot of archeological evidence to indicate that there were even bigger volcanic explosions (by several orders of magnitude) in the very distant past.

Yet, the explosive force of Mt. St. Helens is many times the explosive force of the largest nuclear weapons that have ever been produced. Furthermore, the amount of pollution in the the form of ash, gases etc from even small volcanic explosions is far greater than is produced by automobiles in a year.

9. musicman

musicman Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +533
    Well, since the libs squeal like frightened hairdressers every time President Bush utters the name of God, Bush CAN, in fact, be blamed for Mt. St. Helen's.

Clearly, God is in flagrant violation of federal antipollution standards. Yet Bush, as always, protects his powerful friends. The bastard!