Mr. Conservative

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Bfgrn, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Bfgrn

Bfgrn Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,060
    "Mark my word, if and when these preachers get control of the Republican party, and they're sure trying to do so, it's going to be a terrible damn problem. Frankly, these people frighten me. Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise. I know, I've tried to deal with them."
    Barry Goldwater (R) Late Senator & Father of the Conservative movement

[​IMG]

This is a man who in his own business, before he entered politics, instituted a profit-sharing plan, before unions had ever thought of it. He put in health and medical insurance for all his employees. He took 50 percent of the profits before taxes and set up a retirement plan, and a pension plan for all his employees. He sent monthly checks for life to an employee who was ill and couldn't work. He provided nursing care for the children of mothers who work in the stores. When Mexico was ravaged by the floods from the Rio Grande, he climbed in his airplane and flew medicine and supplies down there.

An ex-GI told me how he met him. It was the week before Christmas during the Korean War, and he was at the Los Angeles airport trying to get a ride home to Arizona, and he said that there were a lot of servicemen there and no seats available on the planes. Then a voice came over the loudspeaker and said, "Any men in uniform wanting a ride to Arizona, go to runway such-and-such," and they went down there, and there was a fellow named Barry Goldwater sitting in his plane. Every day in the weeks before Christmas, all day long, he would load up the plane, fly to Arizona, fly them to their homes, then fly back over to get another load.

During the hectic split-second timing of a campaign, this is a man who took time out to sit beside an old friend who was dying of cancer. His campaign managers were understandably impatient, but he said, "There aren't many left who care what happens to her. I'd like her to know that I care." This is a man who said to his nineteen-year-old son, "There is no foundation like the rock of honesty and fairness, and when you begin to build your life upon that rock, with the cement of the faith in God that you have, then you have a real start!" This is not a man who could carelessly send other people's sons to war. And that is the issue of this campaign that makes all of the other problems I have discussed academic, unless we realize that we are in a war that must be won.

Address on Behalf of Sen. Barry Goldwater, Ronald Reagan, 1964

Ronald Reagan Presidential Library, Simi Valley, CA., p 22-36

Equality, rightly understood as our founding fathers understood it, leads to liberty and to the emancipation of creative differences; wrongly understood, as it has been so tragically in our time, it leads first to conformity and then to despotism.
    Barry Goldwater (R) Late Senator & Father of the Conservative movement

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    A Jewish man hated Christians?

Wow.

3. Indiana Oracle

Indiana Oracle The Truth is Hard to Find

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Barry G was old school at the edge of its time, and in his own way was just as radical as the Christian right he expressed concern about. I was an active Rep at that time and saw it play out inside the campaign. Like many real-people, politicians of both parties and others have blind spots. Their egos stopped them from growing long before this becomes a problem and they stumble. That is my view at least.

4. Sherry

Sherry You're not the boss of me Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,072
    Don't worry, the likes of Reverend Wright aren't going to get control of the Republican party.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. Kevin_Kennedy

Kevin_Kennedy Defend Liberty

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,015
    I thought this was going to be about Senator Robert A. Taft, but Barry Goldwater is good too. :cool:

Edit: I just remembered Senator Taft was Mr. Republican, my mistake.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  6. Bfgrn

Bfgrn Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,060
    Have you ever listened to anything Reverend Jeremiah Wright said in his sermons other than the selective snippets we've been fed by the "liberal" media used to slander the man and convey a totally different message than he delivered?

EVERY American SHOULD have been given Wright's sermon following the attacks on 911. Maybe there wouldn't have been the lust for Muslim blood that led to the invasion of Iraq that murdered thousands of women and children.

The "liberal" media fed us ONLY the incendiary "America's chickens are coming home to roost"...but none of his true Christian message...

Educate yourself...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOdlnzkeoyQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOdlnzkeoyQ[/ame]

7. Sherry

Sherry You're not the boss of me Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,072
    As matter of fact he did inspire me to study up on the teachings of black liberation theology. He's a racist mother fucking asshole who gets a hard on pitting races and classes against one another, but have fun worshipping at his ideals.

8. Bfgrn

Bfgrn Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,060
    Well Sherry, here's your education...
    Bill Moyers Journal . Watch & Listen | PBS

9. garyd

garyd Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +401
    Yeah right Bill Moyers another ignorant leftist worshiping at the wall of all ecompasing government power. Why the hell would I take his word for anything?

10. Evangelical

Evangelical Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Can we focus on the fact that Barry Goldwater was not a Jew but an Episcopalian and a very devout and religious man?