Mr. Conservative

Bfgrn

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2009
"Mark my word, if and when these preachers get control of the Republican party, and they're sure trying to do so, it's going to be a terrible damn problem. Frankly, these people frighten me. Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise. I know, I've tried to deal with them."
Barry Goldwater (R) Late Senator & Father of the Conservative movement

MrConservativeBarryGoldwater.jpg

This is a man who in his own business, before he entered politics, instituted a profit-sharing plan, before unions had ever thought of it. He put in health and medical insurance for all his employees. He took 50 percent of the profits before taxes and set up a retirement plan, and a pension plan for all his employees. He sent monthly checks for life to an employee who was ill and couldn't work. He provided nursing care for the children of mothers who work in the stores. When Mexico was ravaged by the floods from the Rio Grande, he climbed in his airplane and flew medicine and supplies down there.

An ex-GI told me how he met him. It was the week before Christmas during the Korean War, and he was at the Los Angeles airport trying to get a ride home to Arizona, and he said that there were a lot of servicemen there and no seats available on the planes. Then a voice came over the loudspeaker and said, "Any men in uniform wanting a ride to Arizona, go to runway such-and-such," and they went down there, and there was a fellow named Barry Goldwater sitting in his plane. Every day in the weeks before Christmas, all day long, he would load up the plane, fly to Arizona, fly them to their homes, then fly back over to get another load.

During the hectic split-second timing of a campaign, this is a man who took time out to sit beside an old friend who was dying of cancer. His campaign managers were understandably impatient, but he said, "There aren't many left who care what happens to her. I'd like her to know that I care." This is a man who said to his nineteen-year-old son, "There is no foundation like the rock of honesty and fairness, and when you begin to build your life upon that rock, with the cement of the faith in God that you have, then you have a real start!" This is not a man who could carelessly send other people's sons to war. And that is the issue of this campaign that makes all of the other problems I have discussed academic, unless we realize that we are in a war that must be won.

Address on Behalf of Sen. Barry Goldwater, Ronald Reagan, 1964

Ronald Reagan Presidential Library, Simi Valley, CA., p 22-36

Equality, rightly understood as our founding fathers understood it, leads to liberty and to the emancipation of creative differences; wrongly understood, as it has been so tragically in our time, it leads first to conformity and then to despotism.

Barry G was old school at the edge of its time, and in his own way was just as radical as the Christian right he expressed concern about. I was an active Rep at that time and saw it play out inside the campaign. Like many real-people, politicians of both parties and others have blind spots. Their egos stopped them from growing long before this becomes a problem and they stumble. That is my view at least.

"Mark my word, if and when these preachers get control of the Republican party, and they're sure trying to do so, it's going to be a terrible damn problem. Frankly, these people frighten me. Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise. I know, I've tried to deal with them."

Don't worry, the likes of Reverend Wright aren't going to get control of the Republican party.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
I thought this was going to be about Senator Robert A. Taft, but Barry Goldwater is good too. :cool:

Edit: I just remembered Senator Taft was Mr. Republican, my mistake.

Last edited:

Don't worry, the likes of Reverend Wright aren't going to get control of the Republican party.

Have you ever listened to anything Reverend Jeremiah Wright said in his sermons other than the selective snippets we've been fed by the "liberal" media used to slander the man and convey a totally different message than he delivered?

EVERY American SHOULD have been given Wright's sermon following the attacks on 911. Maybe there wouldn't have been the lust for Muslim blood that led to the invasion of Iraq that murdered thousands of women and children.

The "liberal" media fed us ONLY the incendiary "America's chickens are coming home to roost"...but none of his true Christian message...

Educate yourself...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOdlnzkeoyQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOdlnzkeoyQ[/ame]

Have you ever listened to anything Reverend Jeremiah Wright said in his sermons other than the selective snippets we've been fed by the "liberal" media used to slander the man and convey a totally different message than he delivered?

EVERY American SHOULD have been given Wright's sermon following the attacks on 911. Maybe there wouldn't have been the lust for Muslim blood that led to the invasion of Iraq that murdered thousands of women and children.

The "liberal" media fed us ONLY the incendiary "America's chickens are coming home to roost"...but none of his true Christian message...

Educate yourself...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOdlnzkeoyQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOdlnzkeoyQ[/ame]

As matter of fact he did inspire me to study up on the teachings of black liberation theology. He's a racist mother fucking asshole who gets a hard on pitting races and classes against one another, but have fun worshipping at his ideals.

Educate yourself...

As matter of fact he did inspire me to study up on the teachings of black liberation theology. He's a racist mother fucking asshole who gets a hard on pitting races and classes against one another, but have fun worshipping at his ideals.

Well Sherry, here's your education...
Bill Moyers Journal . Watch & Listen | PBS

Yeah right Bill Moyers another ignorant leftist worshiping at the wall of all ecompasing government power. Why the hell would I take his word for anything?

Can we focus on the fact that Barry Goldwater was not a Jew but an Episcopalian and a very devout and religious man?

Yeah right Bill Moyers another ignorant leftist worshiping at the wall of all ecompasing government power. Why the hell would I take his word for anything?

Here's a revolutionary idea for right wingers... CLICK on the link...LISTEN to what Jeremiah Wright has to say in the interview...

I got disgusted when Reverend Wright began to use an impression he got from the Holy Spirit was that we should reflect upon ourselves in regards to 9/11. What a veiled claim that Bush did it or that our bad policies caused such hatred.

Muslims hate us because we're Christian. No other reason needs be given.

"There will come a time when my party will view me as a liberal." - Barry Goldwater.

Goldwater was so distressed by the direction that conservatism was going, especially with the increasing influence of the religious right, that in his later years he even referred to himself as a liberal.

Neither Goldwater nor Reagan Would Recognize The Modern GOP - Liberal Values - Defending Liberty and Enlightened Thought

Unfortunately there are very few modern conservatives who defend liberty as Goldwater did but a handful remain. In April I quoted from Vic Gold, author of Invasion of the Party Snatchers: How the Holy-Rollers and the Neo-Cons Destroyed the GOP. John Dean has written extensively on how the actions of Bush are Worse Than Watergate. Bruce Fein has been discussing impeachment of George Bush. Bob Barr has left the Republican Party and has also discussed impeachment. Bruce Bartlett, author of Imposter: How George W. Bush Bankrupted America and Betrayed the Reagan Legacy has supported putting pressure on both parties to move in a more libertarian direction. Unfortunately the Republican who has spoken out the strongest against the influence of religion in politics is a fictional character, as seen in this clip of Arnold Vinick from The West Wing.

Many of these conservatives might also be wind up considering themselves liberals in their later years as Goldwater did. There has been a considerable change in definition of liberal versus conservative in recent years. Social issues and views on Iraq have largely replaced economic issues in separating liberals versus conservatives.

“Mr. Conservative” Became a Liberal Compared to Today’s Conservatives - Liberal Values - Defending Liberty and Enlightened Thought

I got disgusted when Reverend Wright began to use an impression he got from the Holy Spirit was that we should reflect upon ourselves in regards to 9/11. What a veiled claim that Bush did it or that our bad policies caused such hatred.

"Christians hate Muslims because they're Muslims. No other reason needs to be given."

Profound, isn't it?

Father of the Conservative movement?

That's funny, because the poster on my classroom wall of all the presidents doesn't list him.

Maybe he was full of it.

Abandoning God is the first step toward failure.............

and hell.

MrConservativeBarryGoldwater.jpg

This is a man who in his own business, before he entered politics, instituted a profit-sharing plan, before unions had ever thought of it. He put in health and medical insurance for all his employees. He took 50 percent of the profits before taxes and set up a retirement plan, and a pension plan for all his employees. He sent monthly checks for life to an employee who was ill and couldn't work. He provided nursing care for the children of mothers who work in the stores. When Mexico was ravaged by the floods from the Rio Grande, he climbed in his airplane and flew medicine and supplies down there.

An ex-GI told me how he met him. It was the week before Christmas during the Korean War, and he was at the Los Angeles airport trying to get a ride home to Arizona, and he said that there were a lot of servicemen there and no seats available on the planes. Then a voice came over the loudspeaker and said, "Any men in uniform wanting a ride to Arizona, go to runway such-and-such," and they went down there, and there was a fellow named Barry Goldwater sitting in his plane. Every day in the weeks before Christmas, all day long, he would load up the plane, fly to Arizona, fly them to their homes, then fly back over to get another load.

During the hectic split-second timing of a campaign, this is a man who took time out to sit beside an old friend who was dying of cancer. His campaign managers were understandably impatient, but he said, "There aren't many left who care what happens to her. I'd like her to know that I care." This is a man who said to his nineteen-year-old son, "There is no foundation like the rock of honesty and fairness, and when you begin to build your life upon that rock, with the cement of the faith in God that you have, then you have a real start!" This is not a man who could carelessly send other people's sons to war. And that is the issue of this campaign that makes all of the other problems I have discussed academic, unless we realize that we are in a war that must be won.

Address on Behalf of Sen. Barry Goldwater, Ronald Reagan, 1964

Ronald Reagan Presidential Library, Simi Valley, CA., p 22-36

Equality, rightly understood as our founding fathers understood it, leads to liberty and to the emancipation of creative differences; wrongly understood, as it has been so tragically in our time, it leads first to conformity and then to despotism.

Read Barry Goldwater's autobiography.

It has a chapter entitled, "Unelected Rulers."

It is the best explanation I have seen of who actually runs this country.

BULLcrap...They attacked us because of a long history of American interference in THEIR countries.

If they were attacking Christianity, why didn't they fly those planes into the Vatican or St. Patrick's Cathedral?

You're just like George Bush, who turned 911 into a Crusade...an attack on Islam.

It's called blow back...
Ron Paul talked about blow back, Ambassador Peck talked about blow back and Jeremiah Wright talked about blow back. It is REAL.

Wright said it is a time for self examination...Bush is not spelled S-E-L-F.

And Wright warned us about people LIKE you:

"people of faith have moved from the hatred of armed enemies ... and moved to the hatred of unarmed innocence, the babies"

Excerpt of Wright’s 9/11 Sermon
Every public service of worship I have heard about so far in the wake of the American tragedy has had in its prayers and in its preachments sympathy and compassion for those who were killed and for their families, and God’s guidance upon the selected presidents and our war-machine as they do what they got to do - pay backs. There’s a move in Psalm 137 from thoughts of paying tithes to thoughts of paying back. A move if you will from worship to war. A move, in other words from the worship of the God of creation to a war against whom God has created. And I want you to notice, very carefully, the next move. One of the reasons this psalm is rarely read in its entirety. Because it is a move that spotlights the insanity of the cycle of violence and the cycle of hatred.

Look at verse 9, look at verse 9, look at verse 9, “Happy shall they be who take your little ones and dash them against the rocks. The people of faith are the rivers of Babylon. How shall we sing the Lord’s song if I forget the [inaudible]. . .

The people of faith have moved from the hatred of armed enemies, these soldiers who captured the king, who slaughtered his son, they put his eyes out, the soldiers who sacked the city, burned the towns, burned the temples, burned the towers, and moved from the hatred of armed enemies to the hatred of unarmed innocence, the babies, the babies .

“Blessed are they who dash your baby’s brains against a rock.” And that my beloveds is a dangerous place to be. Yet, that is where the people of faith are in 551 BC and that is where the people of faith are, far too many people of faith are in 2001 AD. We have moved from the hatred of armed enemies to the hatred of unarmed innocence. We want revenge. We want paybacks and we don’t care who gets hurt in the process.

Yup.

The Republican Party, much like the Democratic Party, no longer stands for what it once did.

I keep telling you people I am more a 1950's Republican than a liberal, and since most of you who think you are conservatives don't actually know what the conservatives stood for (how could you? They've been lying to you since most of you were in grade school) you have become tools for the very people who have nothing but complete comtempt for you, what you believe, your nation and the people in it.

They HATE democracy. they hate CAPITALISM. They hate AMERICA and what it ONCE stood for, too.

You are servants to the people who worship MAMMOM, folks.

Oh, does that sound partisan?

Okay, for those of you who think the DEMS are any different, you are likewise TOOLS.

Wake up!

The only way to see who the bastards really are is to FOLLOW THE MONEY.

Last edited:
Yup.

The Republican Party, much like the Democratic Party, no longer stands for what it once did.

I keep telling you people I am more a 1950's Republican than a liberal, and since most of you who think you are conservatives don't actually know what the conservatives stood for (how could you? They've been lying to you since most of you were in grade school) you have become tools for the very people who have nothing but complete comtempt for you, what you believe, your nation and the people in it.

They HATE democracy. they hate CAPITALISM. They hate AMERICA and what it ONCE stood for, too.

You are servants to the people who worship MAMMOM, folks.

Oh, does that sound partisan?

Okay, for those of you who think the DEMS are any different, you are likewise TOOLS.

Wake up!

The only way to see who the bastards really are is to FOLLOW THE MONEY.

Luke 16:13-15…

[13] No servant can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and mammon (money)

[14] The Pharisees, who loved money, heard all this and were sneering at Jesus.

[15] He said to them, "You are the ones who justify yourselves in the eyes of men, but God knows your hearts. What is highly valued among men is detestable in God's sight.

Forum List

Back