Movie 'Concussion' Was Excellent

Here are examples of the changes from suspension helmets to padded helmets with inflatable bladders in the padding...

76163_04_lg.jpg

DSCN7208.jpg

They've definitely come a long way in helmet tech,but the problem lies with the sudden stop and the brain smacking itself on your skull.
I dont know how you fix that and still have a wearable helmet.
The point is that the padded helmet would go a longer way in preventing that but the increased force of impacts has outpaced the advances in helmet technology.
Smaller, less forceful players would help immensely.

Here are examples of the changes from suspension helmets to padded helmets with inflatable bladders in the padding...

76163_04_lg.jpg

DSCN7208.jpg

They've definitely come a long way in helmet tech,but the problem lies with the sudden stop and the brain smacking itself on your skull.

You "fix" that by making a helmet that makes the stop less sudden and severe. The problem lies in how to do that and not make a helmet of enormous proportions. The technology will get there eventually.

NFL denial is basically moot. Athletes who sustained repeated concussions were referred to as 'punch drunk', a boxing term that explains itself.
More recent research suggests that Lou Gherig's disease results from repeated concussions. Players need to know the risks before choosing but the choice is exclusively theirs and the NFL should have no culpability.
Just another group of attempted victims.

Wow, so we should just not do anything to help these people who have developed brain injuries? There is no doubt that they are getting injuries, but thats OK as long as the NFL admits there are problems?

You like gladiatorial sports as well? Fight to the death in arenas, etc?

Come on dude, we can improve the sport and not have so many of our athletic heroes killing themselves from depression, walking around like drooling idiots later in life and actually enjoying their retirement.

What would be the big deal if the various football sports organizations ruled out using pads and helmets? Went with the rugby approach?

Would that desecrate the religion of football so horribly that you couldnt enjoy watching our gladiators try to kill each other on the field otherwise?
Look at photos of football players a 100 years ago. Their helmets were nothing more than leather caps that protected their ears. And their jerseys were shoulder width, not like they had gigantic arms and shoulders.
You don't have to go that far back. As recently as the 1970's, even after weight training had become popular, Ohio St center Mark Lang weighed just over 200 lbs.
In the OU vs Ohio St game from 1977, very few of the interior linemen weighed over 250.
Lou Holtz played offensive line! My dad was an interior lineman in college and was 5'9", 180 lbs.

Too tall jones weighed in a lot heavier than 200 back in the 1970's college ball and he was by no means the only one.

76163_04_lg.jpg

DSCN7208.jpg

You "fix" that by making a helmet that makes the stop less sudden and severe. The problem lies in how to do that and not make a helmet of enormous proportions. The technology will get there eventually.
The helmet size already makes them look like space aliens.
Plus, knee and joint injuries won't decrease.
Smaller, more natural player size is a better solution. Right now it looks like a combo of seven-on-seven and sumo wrestling.

NFL denial is basically moot. Athletes who sustained repeated concussions were referred to as 'punch drunk', a boxing term that explains itself.
More recent research suggests that Lou Gherig's disease results from repeated concussions. Players need to know the risks before choosing but the choice is exclusively theirs and the NFL should have no culpability.

Wow, so we should just not do anything to help these people who have developed brain injuries? There is no doubt that they are getting injuries, but thats OK as long as the NFL admits there are problems?

Come on dude, we can improve the sport and not have so many of our athletic heroes killing themselves from depression, walking around like drooling idiots later in life and actually enjoying their retirement.

What would be the big deal if the various football sports organizations ruled out using pads and helmets? Went with the rugby approach?

Would that desecrate the religion of football so horribly that you couldnt enjoy watching our gladiators try to kill each other on the field otherwise?
Look at photos of football players a 100 years ago. Their helmets were nothing more than leather caps that protected their ears. And their jerseys were shoulder width, not like they had gigantic arms and shoulders.
You don't have to go that far back. As recently as the 1970's, even after weight training had become popular, Ohio St center Mark Lang weighed just over 200 lbs.
In the OU vs Ohio St game from 1977, very few of the interior linemen weighed over 250.
Lou Holtz played offensive line! My dad was an interior lineman in college and was 5'9", 180 lbs.

Too tall jones weighed in a lot heavier than 200 back in the 1970's college ball and he was by no means the only one.
But he was very tall. Measure the weight vs the frame and height. Ed Jones height by today's weight standards would have him at over 350 lbs.

Yes it is. It is also a symptom of the nanny state bullshit.

Preventing mental dementia is not nanny state bullshit, ass hole

It is a violent sport, like boxing or MMA or any of the other sports prone to violence & injury.

No it is not at all like them in that the constant hits to the head are daily ocurances without significant or adequaste protection from the time that they are in PeeWee sports.

And I am sick of your 'IT's their choice so who cares, fuck them' attitude.

The grown ups in this c ountry are going to protect football players from the exploitation of ass holes like you in football management, so go fuck yourself, ass hole.

It IS their choice to make not yours. Get it?

No, it is not just there choice any more than suicide is. Get it?

If a moron on a message board knows the risks for concussion then rest assured the players do too so if they choose to continue playing so be it.

Lol despite the overwhelming FACTS of the matter being plain to everyone that the NFL has suppressed and denied the serious injuries of the sport, jack asses like you still rush to the defense of corporations that would sell your children to salt mines.

You are a blithering fool
Don't care. Cry more why dontcha that'll solve everything

76163_04_lg.jpg

DSCN7208.jpg

Smaller, more natural player size is a better solution. Right now it looks like a combo of seven-on-seven and sumo wrestling.

Good luck with your shrink-ray invention.

76163_04_lg.jpg

DSCN7208.jpg

You ban helmets. Yes, I am absolutely serious: I think football would be safer if players DID NOT wear helmets.

But he was very tall. Measure the weight vs the frame and height. Ed Jones height by today's weight standards would have him at over 350 lbs.

He was 65lbs LIGHTER than William Perry...despite being 7" taller! And today, the 6'2", 335lb "Refrigerator" Perry would NOT be an especially large lineman!

76163_04_lg.jpg

DSCN7208.jpg

You ban helmets. Yes, I am absolutely serious: I think football would be safer if players DID NOT wear helmets.

But a lot more boring.

The alternative is the end of the NFL. Yes, I think that will happen, and a lot sooner than anyone thinks. We are ALREADY seeing the end of HS football...which will come crashing to a halt the moment that insurance is no longer available.

76163_04_lg.jpg

DSCN7208.jpg

My solution is realistic. It's just extremely doubtful it would ever be implemented.

76163_04_lg.jpg

DSCN7208.jpg

My solution is realistic. It's just extremely doubtful it would ever be implemented.

You contradict yourself.

76163_04_lg.jpg

DSCN7208.jpg

Other than the deaths that occurred back when they didn't wear helmets it was safer.

He was 65lbs LIGHTER than William Perry...despite being 7" taller! And today, the 6'2", 335lb "Refrigerator" Perry would NOT be an especially large lineman!
He'd actually be smaller because of his height.

Forum List

Back