Movie 'Concussion' Was Excellent

They're talking about football players here. These are guys who would kargeky be gang bangers or have their nanes on the front of their uniform shirts instead of the back if they weren't in the NFL. Not a movue I'd waste my time or money on.

They risk death every time they play. Broken back, broken neck. Shove the pansie nonsense where the sun don't shine. My loyalty is to common sense
You are being ridiculous. Risking a broken arm is nowhere at all similar to a 30% chance of becoming a drooling moron at the age of 50.

You are really a confused person on this issue, dude.
Did I say anything about a broken arm Mr Ridiculous? No I didn't.

Dumbass
And anyone that would claim that concern for a broken back, or broken neck or a life with mind altering brain injuries is 'pansie nonsense' would be a fool.
I was talking about your bleeding heart nonsense lol.

When are you going to create similar bleeding heart threads for other dangerous professions? You know, like the professions that actually contribute to society for the good of it & not the money?

Get a grip
Lol, concern for reducing severe injuries and dementia for football players is 'bleeding heart nonsense'?

Do you ever actually think about what the hell you are saying?
Yes it is. It is also a symptom of the nanny state bullshit.

It is a violent sport, like boxing or MMA or any of the other sports prone to violence & injury. At some point the grown ups participating in said sports made the choice to sacrifice their body's for a big paycheck.

It IS their choice to make not yours. Get it? If a moron on a message board knows the risks for concussion then rest assured the players do too so if they choose to continue playing so be it.

Yes it is. It is also a symptom of the nanny state bullshit.

Preventing mental dementia is not nanny state bullshit, ass hole

It is a violent sport, like boxing or MMA or any of the other sports prone to violence & injury.

No it is not at all like them in that the constant hits to the head are daily ocurances without significant or adequaste protection from the time that they are in PeeWee sports.

And I am sick of your 'IT's their choice so who cares, fuck them' attitude.

The grown ups in this c ountry are going to protect football players from the exploitation of ass holes like you in football management, so go fuck yourself, ass hole.

It IS their choice to make not yours. Get it?

No, it is not just there choice any more than suicide is. Get it?

If a moron on a message board knows the risks for concussion then rest assured the players do too so if they choose to continue playing so be it.

Lol despite the overwhelming FACTS of the matter being plain to everyone that the NFL has suppressed and denied the serious injuries of the sport, jack asses like you still rush to the defense of corporations that would sell your children to salt mines.

You are a blithering fool

With high school aged players dropping dead on the field in large numbers, I have to wonder just how informed their consent was.
High School aged players dropping dead is a by-product of a normally sedentary lifestyle and extreme heat during August workouts. Our children aren't used to hardships like they were 30 years ago. So a 3 hour football practice at Catagory 4 or 5 tends to put too much stress on their systems. Not to mention the habit of football coaches stressing toughness instead of safety.

And obesity. Many of these who die are very fat.

They see a kid who weighs 330 and think "Oh players at Alabama and in the NFL are 330....we got us a monster!!" But don't realize 330 of mostly muscle isn't the same as 330 of mostly fat.

Got any evidence to back up your claim. I was just looking at pics of children who dropped dead playing football. None looked fat to me
Looks can be deceiving.

Sitting at home in air-conditioning while playing video games instead of playing outside like we used to when I was young has become normal for our kids. They have long periods of inactivity and then all of the sudden they're out running in the Sun and heat with 20 pounds of lightweight football equipment on.

Okay than if bucs90 is unwilling to back up his claims than I invite you to do so.
No need to. Common-sense should tell you all you need to know.
Those of us who have studied sports injuries and the effects of heat on the body know that many of these kids are living in environments that do not allow them to adapt to the extremes they encounter when they play the game. Football is played in any weather. The players are encouraged to put on weight that may not be normal for them. Combine the two and you get heat injuries.
It's not because the sport is evil....but that it is tough....and not recommended for everyone.

It's the increase in size and speed that has compounded injuries. That is most prevalent at the pro level
Yes, I think that is the largest factor. What I would like to know is are players getting away with steroids or other ways of enhancing muscle development? That subject is muted in football. Even at the college level the size of so many players, not just linemen, is striking. Also, does not steroids (or whatever supplement) increase speed as well as size?
Ben Johnson set world records in the 100 meters thanks to steroids. His records and medals were subsequently stripped.

If someone chooses to play pro football and does not recognize the risk then they are stupid enough to deserve the consequences.
Studies about CTE, etc., are redundant to say the least.
Wow, no sympathy for all these heroes then? Nothing that can be done to mitigate the negative consequences?

Then football should be banned if we are not going to make it a safer sport.

There is no legal right to engage in 'sports' that have such a high likelihood of leaving its players debilitated and crippled if not killed outright.
Size restrictions based on frame size should be applied. We still have weight classes for boxing and wrestling so it could be applied in football, too. You don't want to restrict it to weight only. That would punish people for being naturally big and would encourage smaller players to increase their weight artificially.
But when you have artificially inflated size on a frame not designed to handle that weight and then combine the speed and force, the exposed joints are not sufficiently reinforced to handle the impacts.

Not a single player is forced to choose football. Occupational hazard, play at your own risk.
The helmets are required to have a safety warning sticker on the back. Been that way for decades.
The only way to reduce injuries is to prevent players from becoming superficially/artificially large. The force of collisions is way greater than it was just thirty years ago.

saw this move the other day,further proof the NFL is corrupt.even though i love football i would rejoice if the NFL was disbanned its so corrupt with games being rigged all the time in the playoffs.

i would throw a party if the NFL got disbanned.Im getting tired of crap like deflategate and the pats going unpunished for it and then in the playoff game last year when the Lions traveled to dallas to play the cowboys,a cowboy defender committed a pass intereference penalty against the lions receiver that everyone in the world saw and knew the correct call was made that it WAS pass interference and yet, the ref then picked up the yellow flag and gave no explanation for picking it up.which turned out to be critical costing the Lions the game. I am so sick of these games not being officiated fairly and these officials getting way with their crimes never getting punished for it.fuck the NFL.:up_yours:

I wont be watching anymore superbowls again.I've had it with the NFL and will never give them a dime of my money again.

Last edited:
NFL denial is basically moot. Athletes who sustained repeated concussions were referred to as 'punch drunk', a boxing term that explains itself.
More recent research suggests that Lou Gherig's disease results from repeated concussions. Players need to know the risks before choosing but the choice is exclusively theirs and the NFL should have no culpability.
Just another group of attempted victims.

Wow, so we should just not do anything to help these people who have developed brain injuries? There is no doubt that they are getting injuries, but thats OK as long as the NFL admits there are problems?

You like gladiatorial sports as well? Fight to the death in arenas, etc?

Come on dude, we can improve the sport and not have so many of our athletic heroes killing themselves from depression, walking around like drooling idiots later in life and actually enjoying their retirement.

What would be the big deal if the various football sports organizations ruled out using pads and helmets? Went with the rugby approach?

Would that desecrate the religion of football so horribly that you couldnt enjoy watching our gladiators try to kill each other on the field otherwise?
Look at photos of football players a 100 years ago. Their helmets were nothing more than leather caps that protected their ears. And their jerseys were shoulder width, not like they had gigantic arms and shoulders.
You don't have to go that far back. As recently as the 1970's, even after weight training had become popular, Ohio St center Mark Lang weighed just over 200 lbs.
In the OU vs Ohio St game from 1977, very few of the interior linemen weighed over 250.
Lou Holtz played offensive line! My dad was an interior lineman in college and was 5'9", 180 lbs.

If someone chooses to play pro football and does not recognize the risk then they are stupid enough to deserve the consequences.
Wow, no sympathy for all these heroes then? Nothing that can be done to mitigate the negative consequences?

There is no legal right to engage in 'sports' that have such a high likelihood of leaving its players debilitated and crippled if not killed outright.
Instead of tackling, why can't they play where a "tackle" is when you can grab the one holding the football with your two hands on each butt cheek? No chance for injury there.
That's called fag football. Kinda like flag football.

I've heard the the movie tells a lot of lies.

First and foremost is the the NFL tried to deny there was a problem. That just isn't true. This doctor was saying things that no other doctor was saying. The NFL had entire teams of doctors threat didn't agree with this one doctors findings. The NFL went with what their doctors were telling them and not with what this one doctor was saying.

There apparently are other lies too, but that one is the most important.
NFL denial is basically moot. Athletes who sustained repeated concussions were referred to as 'punch drunk', a boxing term that explains itself.
More recent research suggests that Lou Gherig's disease results from repeated concussions. Players need to know the risks before choosing but the choice is exclusively theirs and the NFL should have no culpability.

With high school aged players dropping dead on the field in large numbers, I have to wonder just how informed their consent was.
High School aged players dropping dead is a by-product of a normally sedentary lifestyle and extreme heat during August workouts. Our children aren't used to hardships like they were 30 years ago. So a 3 hour football practice at Catagory 4 or 5 tends to put too much stress on their systems. Not to mention the habit of football coaches stressing toughness instead of safety.
Coaching safety has gone through several strict changes over the past 40 years. Coaches have to take courses is sports safety and medicine and water availability is mandatory at all practices and especially early in the season. Usually a kid who dies from a heart issue is a result of an underlying condition. Brain injuries are still a concern however. Especially with bigger players and more severe collisions.

I've heard the the movie tells a lot of lies.

First and foremost is the the NFL tried to deny there was a problem. That just isn't true. This doctor was saying things that no other doctor was saying. The NFL had entire teams of doctors threat didn't agree with this one doctors findings. The NFL went with what their doctors were telling them and not with what this one doctor was saying.

There apparently are other lies too, but that one is the most important.

In large numbers?
Your claim is bogus. In 2014 twelve players died in college and high school football combined and most werent related to head injuries.
Average 12 school football players die each year, study says

Alot of people like myself would say that twelve kids dying from playing a fucking game is a large number, capice?
Doesn't come anywhere close to the number killed driving cars.

Not a single player is forced to choose football. Occupational hazard, play at your own risk.
The helmets are required to have a safety warning sticker on the back. Been that way for decades.
The only way to reduce injuries is to prevent players from becoming superficially/artificially large. The force of collisions is way greater than it was just thirty years ago.

saw this move the other day,further proof the NFL is corrupt.even though i love football i would rejoice if the NFL was disbanned its so corrupt with games being rigged all the time in the playoffs.

i would throw a party if the NFL got disbanned.Im getting tired of crap like deflategate and the pats going unpunished for it and then in the playoff game last year when the Lions traveled to dallas to play the cowboys,a cowboy defender committed a pass intereference penalty against the lions receiver that everyone in the world saw and knew the correct call was made that it WAS pass interference and yet, the ref then picked up the yellow flag and gave no explanation for picking it up.which turned out to be critical costing the Lions the game. I am so sick of these games not being officiated fairly and these officials getting way with their crimes never getting punished for it.fuck the NFL.:up_yours:

I wont be watching anymore superbowls again.I've had it with the NFL and will never give them a dime of my money again.
The only manipulation that the NFL is guilty of is changing the rules to encourage passing in order to appease brain-dead idiots who want to see all of that boring passing crap on TV.
A deflated football does not increase the chances for a team to dominate the LOS the way the Patriots did in that game.

Size restrictions based on frame size should be applied. We still have weight classes for boxing and wrestling so it could be applied in football, too. You don't want to restrict it to weight only. That would punish people for being naturally big and would encourage smaller players to increase their weight artificially.
But when you have artificially inflated size on a frame not designed to handle that weight and then combine the speed and force, the exposed joints are not sufficiently reinforced to handle the impacts.
So would you go with a BMI scale, body fat percentage, or what?

Or from nuclear weapons and a myriad number of other irrelevant comparisons.

We are not talking about necessary transportation but a KIDS GAME, that can be made safer, that's all.

That sort of thing seems common in professional sports, like the gambling scandal of soccer and the NBA giving Jordan a pass on common rules like 'traveling' etc.

So would you go with a BMI scale, body fat percentage, or what?
Frame size as measured at the wrist, elbow and ankle against height.

Or from nuclear weapons and a myriad number of other irrelevant comparisons.

We are not talking about necessary transportation but a KIDS GAME, that can be made safer, that's all.
High school sports are as necessary as teenage driving in many ways. Kids driving makes logistics more practical in a home and some kids count on sports as a way into college.

There's a really funny satirical novel "Fantasy Fourteen" by Christopher Murray that makes some pithy remarks about the NFL and concussions. The stories were in the news but it took a Hollywood movie to bring the issue to the public.

Here are examples of the changes from suspension helmets to padded helmets with inflatable bladders in the padding...

76163_04_lg.jpg

DSCN7208.jpg

Forum List

Back