Mortgage Lenders Bad, Student Loans Good

Perhaps you should go back and read what I wrote (that you responded to), please point out where "number of people" was even mentioned, you just went ahead with your assumption that I was under the impression that demand was solely a factor of "the number of people" that wanted a given good or service whose supply was finite when I was perfectly aware (and pointed out) that the money supply among the bidders was also relevant to demand.

Perhaps you should go fuck off. Your idea is wrong. I called you out for it. Don't try to sit here and cherry pick the conversation in which you've been engaging so as to escape the fact that you are presenting an inaccurate understanding of what constitutes "demand."

You want to talk to me about context, but then want to remove all context from your own words so that you can argue about particular words being in your post or not? You've got to be fucking kidding me.

Everything you've said is built on a misinformed equivocation between volume and demand. Hence your "demand increases without commensurate increases in supply will drive up prices" statement. Demand can increase without a single new customer entering the market, if current consumers become willing to buy at a higher price. The result would be higher demand, higher prices, and static supply production.

The false premise you are wielding is essentially the same as the false belief that diamonds are expensive because they are rare. This false belief sometimes leads to another false belief that the diamond industry is engaged in a fraud to make the public believe they are rare. Benitoite is much more rare than diamond, but much less expensive. Diamonds are expensive because people are willing to pay high prices for diamonds.

Perhaps you should go back and read what I wrote (that you responded to), please point out where "number of people" was even mentioned, you just went ahead with your assumption that I was under the impression that demand was solely a factor of "the number of people" that wanted a given good or service whose supply was finite when I was perfectly aware (and pointed out) that the money supply among the bidders was also relevant to demand.

Perhaps you should go fuck off. Your idea is wrong. I called you out for it. Don't try to sit here and cherry pick the conversation in which you've been engaging so as to escape the fact that you are presenting an inaccurate understanding of what constitutes "demand."

You want to talk to me about context, but then want to remove all context from your own words so that you can argue about particular words being in your post or not? You've got to be fucking kidding me.

Everything you've said is built on a misinformed equivocation between volume and demand. Hence your "demand increases without commensurate increases in supply will drive up prices" statement. Demand can increase without a single new customer entering the market, if current consumers become willing to buy at a higher price. The result would be higher demand, higher prices, and static supply production.

The false premise you are wielding is essentially the same as the false belief that diamonds are expensive because they are rare. This false belief sometimes leads to another false belief that the diamond industry is engaged in a fraud to make the public believe they are rare. Benitoite is much more rare than diamond, but much less expensive. Diamonds are expensive because people are willing to pay high prices for diamonds.

Nope, he was right.

Once again, if one person demands something, and you add a second person demanding the same thing... the aggregate demand has just increased.
Private_Goods_Aggregate_Demand_Curve.jpg

(picture an upward sloping supply curve, and you will arrive at the correct answer -> increase in price).

Too difficult of a concept to understand for some. Even after extensive explaining regarding the subject. Only an indoctrination can explain this degree of not being to able to understand simple concepts.

It's not like he didn't make it ABUNDANTLY clear, what plays a role in the increase in demand (cheap credit).

Diamonds may not be expensive only because they are rare. But if they were rarer, they would be even more expensive. Rarity is not the only factor in the price, but it is one. Perhaps this is why you are confoosed...

Last edited:

Perhaps you should go fuck off. Your idea is wrong.
*YAWN* yet another angry munchkin living in a reality distortion field..... oh well I guess the supply of at least something is indeed infinite. :rolleyes:

Get back to me when you learn how to read in context and don't feel the need to be so disingenuous and obtuse as to make rational discussion impossible, in the meantime enjoy your time in /dev/null.

Holy hell dude. In JUST THE LAST POST, regarding basic addition, it was explained that the quantity of people demanding the product affects the aggregate quantity demanded. And you STILL can't perform basic addition!

*shakes head*

Now you're just tap dancing and coming up with babble. Your comment is a meaningless tautology. Quantity demanded effects quantity demanded. You're just making things up as you go along, now.

Get back to me when you learn how to read in context and don't feel the need to be so disingenuous and obtuse as to make rational discussion impossible, in the meantime enjoy your time in /dev/null.

That's funny, I could say the same thing to you. You're the one who is trying to cherry pick words to sell the bullshit idea that "number of people" does not mean "number of people."

Holy hell dude. In JUST THE LAST POST, regarding basic addition, it was explained that the quantity of people demanding the product affects the aggregate quantity demanded. And you STILL can't perform basic addition!

*shakes head*

Now you're just tap dancing and coming up with babble. Your comment is a meaningless tautology. Quantity demanded effects quantity demanded. You're just making things up as you go along, now.

It was you who said that the amount of people demanding a product doesn't affect aggregate demand. Now you are claiming it's a tautology that the quantity of people demanding in fact affects demand?

I think we are getting to the point where you are achieving a record in pure stupidity here. While the above statement (and my statement) is correct, it's not a tautology...

Nope, he was right.

Once again, if one person demands something, and you add a second person demanding the same thing... the aggregate demand has just increased.

(picture an upward sloping supply curve, and you will arrive at the correct answer -> increase in price).

Too difficult of a concept to understand for some. Even after extensive explaining regarding the subject. Only an indoctrination can explain this degree of not being to able to understand simple concepts.

It's not like he didn't make it ABUNDANTLY clear, what plays a role in the increase in demand (cheap credit).

Diamonds may not be expensive only because they are rare. But if they were rarer, they would be even more expensive. Rarity is not the only factor in the price, but it is one. Perhaps this is why you are confoosed...

Nope. Once again you demonstrate that you're operating on simplistic interpretations and false equivocations, leading to bastardized conclusions.

One person can want 10 loaves of bread. Next week two people could each want five loaves of bread. Or they might each want 1 loaf of bread. You're just digging yourself into an even bigger hole. You're adding more and more factors, all with their own sets of unspoken assumptions you expect people to agree upon, in your attempt to abstract a conclusion that does not actually exist.

And it is all because you are stubbornly refusing to widen your understanding. You want demand to be equivalent to volume. Probably because you're too much of an idiot to understand anything more complex. You want easy answers so that someone else can reduce it all to a chart for you and allow you to feel like you're magically smart.

Sorry bud, but it's not going to fly. Because chap stick, lighters, q-tips, toilet paper, and an entire reality full of high volume, low priced items prove you wrong. You've read something on a page. But you don't understand how to apply it to every day life. Demand is not volume. And just because volume might effect demand at times does not in any way justify your insistence on reducing demand to volume. Demand is, ultimately, the willingness to pay. That's why the world of marketing exists. That's why an increase in price might reduce demand while a reduction in price rarely increases demand in practice. Actual willingness to buy primarily stems from other factors.

The fact that you are arguing this is its own evidence that you're an uneducated, ignorant fool. This isn't a question to debate, this is the established definition of the fucking word.

Demand is an economic principle that describes a consumer's desire and willingness to pay a price for a specific good or service.

Demand Definition | Investopedia

The amount of a particular economic good or service that a consumer or group of consumers will want to purchase at a given price.

What is Demand? definition and meaning

(1) Desire for certain good or service supported by the capacity to purchase it. (2) The aggregate quantity of a product or service estimated to be bought at a particular price. (3) The total amount of funds which individuals or organizations want to commit for spending on goods or services over a specific period. See also law of supply and demand.

What is demand? definition and meaning

Economists refer to the demand side and the supply side of a market where the market price for a good is determined simultaneously by both. The prior describes the quantity of a good consumers are willing to buy at a given price

http://www.impact.wsu.edu/bradyfiles/demandwhitepaper_v5.pdf

Demand is the quantity of a good or service that consumers are willing and able to buy at a given price in a given time period....Demand is different to desire! Effective demand is when a desire to buy a product is backed up by an ability to pay for it

Theory of Demand | Economics | tutor2u

It was you who said that the amount of people demanding a product doesn't affect aggregate demand. Now you are claiming it's a tautology that the quantity of people demanding in fact affects demand?

Get this through your head: Quantity demanded =/= demand.

If you aren't willing to believe me, refer to your own sources and videos that you've posted. :slap:

Nope, he was right.

Nope. Once again you demonstrate that you're operating on simplistic interpretations and false equivocations, leading to bastardized conclusions.

One person can want 10 loaves of bread. Next week two people could each want five loaves of bread. Or they might each want 1 loaf of bread. You're just digging yourself into an even bigger hole. You're adding more and more factors, all with their own sets of unspoken assumptions you expect people to agree upon, in your attempt to abstract a conclusion that does not actually exist.

And it is all because you are stubbornly refusing to widen your understanding. You want demand to be equivalent to volume. Probably because you're too much of an idiot to understand anything more complex. You want easy answers so that someone else can reduce it all to a chart for you and allow you to feel like you're magically smart.

Sorry bud, but it's not going to fly. Because chap stick, lighters, q-tips, toilet paper, and an entire reality full of high volume, low priced items prove you wrong. You've read something on a page. But you don't understand how to apply it to every day life. Demand is not volume. And just because volume might effect demand at times does not in any way justify your insistence on reducing demand to volume. Demand is, ultimately, the willingness to pay. That's why the world of marketing exists. That's why an increase in price might reduce demand while a reduction in price rarely increases demand in practice. Actual willingness to buy primarily stems from other factors.

The fact that you are arguing this is its own evidence that you're an uneducated, ignorant fool. This isn't a question to debate, this is the established definition of the fucking word.

Demand is an economic principle that describes a consumer's desire and willingness to pay a price for a specific good or service.

The amount of a particular economic good or service that a consumer or group of consumers will want to purchase at a given price.

(1) Desire for certain good or service supported by the capacity to purchase it. (2) The aggregate quantity of a product or service estimated to be bought at a particular price. (3) The total amount of funds which individuals or organizations want to commit for spending on goods or services over a specific period. See also law of supply and demand.

Economists refer to the demand side and the supply side of a market where the market price for a good is determined simultaneously by both. The prior describes the quantity of a good consumers are willing to buy at a given price

Demand is the quantity of a good or service that consumers are willing and able to buy at a given price in a given time period....Demand is different to desire! Effective demand is when a desire to buy a product is backed up by an ability to pay for it

Do you not understand that as more people are demanding THE WILLINGNESS TO PAY A SPECIFIC AMOUNT FOR SPECIFIC SERVICE INCREASES (the aggregate demand)!

I don't understand how even after going through all those sources you STILL don't understand! We are talking about BASIC ADDITION HERE!

I mean no offense but what does this have to do with the increase in college tuition?

Loaning people money so they can go to college means more people will go to college (whether they graduate or learn anything useful is another argument) therefore prices will go up

Since there are lines of people still trying to get into college I don't see how demand increases should drive price.
Demand increases always drive price
Correction, demand increases without commensurate increases in supply will drive up prices; of course price increases in a free market will have the effect of driving down demand and thus stabilizing prices inline with supply; however in education government intervention has completely short circuited the mechanism.by manipulating the price mechanism (i.e. offloading part or all of the costs onto other people).

The whole system that's currently in place is insane as well as immoral.

You're both wrong. Mainly because neither one of you understands what "demand" actually means.

Well since you explained it so well now everyone should thank your sanctimonious ass.

Nope, he was right.

Do you not understand that as more people are demanding THE WILLINGNESS TO PAY A SPECIFIC AMOUNT FOR SPECIFIC SERVICE INCREASES (the aggregate demand)!

I don't understand how even after going through all those sources you STILL don't understand! We are talking about BASIC ADDITION HERE!

It seems to me that there is a 100 seats for a class then that is it. Doesn't matter if the demand is highter. Having demand for 90 seats might lower the price but filling the seats? Just pure greed raising the price, in my opinion.

Nope, he was right.

It seems to me that there is a 100 seats for a class then that is it. Doesn't matter if the demand is highter. Having demand for 90 seats might lower the price but filling the seats? Just pure greed raising the price, in my opinion.

If there are 110 people trying to get into the 100 seats, it would make sense to raise the price so that there are only 100 people left wanting to get into the seats at the higher price. Otherwise you will have a shortage.

You call it greedy, I call it sane economics. However, I would call many of these people greedy based on other indicators. They teach the kids incorrect nonsense so that the kids will vote people in who will pass more money to the teachers.... in order to profit themselves... this is pure and evil greed. And also the reason for the prevalence of Marxism.

If govt got out of the business, the supply would increase and people would be taught through the internet or something like that. Then you could host 1000 people instead of the current 100 for the same price and the problem would be solved for next eternity. But then, a lot of teachers would lose their luxurious positions.

Well since you explained it so well now everyone should thank your sanctimonious ass.

Actually, my acquisition of multiple weaponized nuclear devices, which I have kindly chosen to not use, is why people should thank my sanctimonious ass. I consider pointing out mundane facts to be a civic obligation.

If there are 110 people trying to get into the 100 seats, it would make sense to raise the price so that there are only 100 people left wanting to get into the seats at the higher price. Otherwise you will have a shortage.

Not of nobody is willing to pay the higher price.

Incorrect. Because the seller can sell each individual less at a higher price, as the number of individuals demanding increases, even if the individuals have exactly the same preferences.

Do you actually believe this word salad makes any sense? Here's a question for you: If 0 people are willing to pay the higher price, how much profit is achieved by increasing the price?

Not of nobody is willing to pay the higher price.

The likelihood which is:

Especially when considering the whole sector in an aggregate.

Nope, he was right.

Very true.

Right now we landlords are in a grand position. It's amazing what some are charging for rent because the supply is low and the demand is high.

Between the millennials who don't want to own anything, the people that got screwed in the housing crash, and females who are sick of home ownership because many don't understand how to repair things, the market is booming for rentals.

It's almost a sin what some people are charging these days, but that's the way any market works.

In the 2+2=5 Bizzaroland of Liberals we learn that having adult sign on for more home they can afford is evil and merits the death penalty but having young people just starting out in the world taking on more debt than they need to buy a starter home is, well, you tell me

Predatory lending is any lending practice that imposes unfair or abusive loan terms on a borrower. It is also any practice that convinces a borrower to accept unfair terms through deceptive, coercive, exploitative or unscrupulous actions for a loan that a borrower doesn't need, doesn't want or can't afford.

Obama is a Predatory Lender, right?

student-loans.jpg
I guess you haven't noticed the Democrats have been saying student loan debt is out of control and is predatory for a very long time. I guess you prefer instead to listen to the imaginary voices in your head.

That's why Bernie wants the first two years of college to be free, dipshit. Pay attention! Do try to keep up.

What solutions have the Republicans offered?

Oh, yeah. The usual. NOTHING!!!!

The liberal definition of free is somebody else pays for it.

The reason colleges can charge so much is because we have more kids than ever attending college.

Yeah, kinda--It's not so much that there are so many people attending college. It's that the checkbook is attached to a bottomless pit.

College is a must for many because those good paying monkey jobs went to China or are being replaced by automation.

When I was in school back in the 70's, out of a class of 35, only about six or seven went to collage after that. Today, it's well over 60%.

When anyplace is making 20% profit, you know darn well that the demand must be out of this world.

When there was competition in that market, price did play a factor to attract these kids. Today, there is no competition because there are so many that want to go to your college that you can just about charge anything you want. Your competition isn't worried about what you are charging because no matter what they charge, there are still many fighting to get into their college as well.

The reason colleges can charge so much is because we have more kids than ever attending college.

Yeah, kinda--It's not so much that there are so many people attending college. It's that the checkbook is attached to a bottomless pit.

College is a must for many because those good paying monkey jobs went to China or are being replaced by automation.

When I was in school back in the 70's, out of a class of 35, only about six or seven went to collage after that. Today, it's well over 60%.

When anyplace is making 20% profit, you know darn well that the demand must be out of this world.

When there was competition in that market, price did play a factor to attract these kids. Today, there is no competition because there are so many that want to go to your college that you can just about charge anything you want. Your competition isn't worried about what you are charging because no matter what they charge, there are still many fighting to get into their college as well.

What effect has non-profit public college have on price?

Forum List

Back