More than 1 in 3 old DNA rape kits "hit" in state database

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
With 6,908 old DNA rape evidence kits tested so far, Attorney General Mike DeWine's office has come up with 2,584 "hits," or 37.4 percent in the combined state database.

A "hit" means the DNA evidence matches the DNA of someone in the states combined database.

What it does not mean, however, is 2,584 rapists will be prosecuted. But it suggests that many old sexual assault cases which lingered for years will finally be solved.
More than 1 in 3 old DNA rape kits hit in state database The Columbus Dispatch

I wonder how many other states have had the rape kits sitting on the shelves for twenty years.

I would hope most. With dna today, many can be absolved as well as many charged I would bet.
With 6,908 old DNA rape evidence kits tested so far, Attorney General Mike DeWine's office has come up with 2,584 "hits," or 37.4 percent in the combined state database.

A "hit" means the DNA evidence matches the DNA of someone in the states combined database.

What it does not mean, however, is 2,584 rapists will be prosecuted. But it suggests that many old sexual assault cases which lingered for years will finally be solved.

I wonder how many other states have had the rape kits sitting on the shelves for twenty years.

I agree. And why did it take a law for having 30 days to turn them in?

it's a good thing that the DNA finds a match and so many cases will be solved...

however, what good does it make to the the victims? where is the closure for them?

.:dunno:

I would hope charges would be brought forward, if they aren'-t already incarcerated for life.
it's a good thing that the DNA finds a match and so many cases will be solved...

however, what good does it make to the the victims? where is the closure for them?

Just reread the article-
Numbers on the impact of testing in terms of criminal prosecution are not available statewide.

But in Cuyahoga County, 270 defendants have been indicted, including one man who was on the verge of being released from prison but is now faces multiple charges from old rape cases.

Way rape is handled in this country is a public embarassment. Even if a rape gets prosecuted the chance of conviction is insanely small. Way it stands, there's no discentive to rape at all. Chances are in the rapist's favor your victim wont even report it, and if they do chances are your favor it wont get prosecuted, and if it does chances are still in your favor you wont get convicted. Lorena Bobbit had the right idea. Though she shoulda stepped on it and destroyed it so it couldn't be reattached. :)

Rape is a very difficult crime to prosecute.

Even if the prosecutor has DNA evidence from a rape kit, the defense attorney will inevitably claim that the sex was consensual. And here in Ohio the defense only has to convince a single juror to avoid a conviction.

That said...

Who the hell is this Alan Johnson idiot at the Columbus Dispatch who wrote the article that was linked to in the OP? How the hell did he get a job writing for a major newspaper when he has such atrocious spelling and grammar skills? It's fucking pathetic.

Forum List

Back