More Housing – Not Stadiums

This Euronews piece contains some videos of the protests in Brazil. Tens of thousands live in abysmal conditions while the country is spending 10s or even 100s millions on facilities for the World Cup. All know full well that the revenue will not come near covering the costs. Read more @ ?Housing not stadiums? Brazil in the grip of protest as World Cup looms | euronews, world news

I can not figure this one out also. Why would you spend millions on a Soccer stadium, and invite the entire world to your country, when you have some of your citizens living
bunched up on one another in Favelas areas, with a very high crime rate.?!
Build some housing for these Favela people with some of that world cup money!
first, before you invite the world in for a Soccer game for Gods sake.

The government of Brazil, and the world cup people need to get their priorities straight
on this entire event. It does not look good for Brazils reputation to host those games, with all those domestic problems ongoing in the country.

And what about the billions they're spending for the Olympics!

What that money could do for the poor living in slums.

What they should have done was to rebuild the entire Favela slum area first, with some
modern duplex housing units. Give the people living there the employment to do the rebuilding, fix whatever economic inequality problems that exist in Brazil first. And then
spend what ever money is left over on a stadium for the world cup. This is why the government of Brazil is experiencing this blowback protest from its lower class population
now.

The Brazilian government has got to prioritize its countries needs before they bid for these kinds of global events. Its making the Brazilian government look very bad at this
point in time, and they have themselves on a global stage with all the worlds news media
in Brazil.

Those millions should have been spent on housing for the poor, a lot of people are
asking this question, not only me.
Why is it that sports can have a greater importance over the living conditions of people.?
It just doesn't make any sense at all.

The drug lords and gangs that rule the Favelas should give back to their community

What they should have done was to rebuild the entire Favela slum area first, with some
modern duplex housing units. Give the people living there the employment to do the rebuilding, fix whatever economic inequality problems that exist in Brazil first. And then
spend what ever money is left over on a stadium for the world cup. This is why the government of Brazil is experiencing this blowback protest from its lower class population
now.

The Brazilian government has got to prioritize its countries needs before they bid for these kinds of global events. Its making the Brazilian government look very bad at this
point in time, and they have themselves on a global stage with all the worlds news media
in Brazil.

Those millions should have been spent on housing for the poor, a lot of people are
asking this question, not only me.
Why is it that sports can have a greater importance over the living conditions of people.?
It just doesn't make any sense at all.

Um, yeah. They tried that.

Look up City of God.

My family is from Rio and they have a different take on the favelas, you wouldn't like it. Then again, you never had someone stick a gun in your face when you were stopped at a red light at night

The drug lords and gangs that rule the Favelas should give back to their community

The government, the Police and military due maintain the ultimate rule of the country.
And they took out millions of Brazilian reals worth of loans to build stadiums to play a
a soccer game. You can't live in a stadium. The government should have fixed the deplorable housing and living conditions of those favela residents, and did something about Brazils high crime rate, before they invited
the entire world into Brazil to have some non important Soccer game.
Get your house in order, before you invite the entire world in as guests.

Last edited:

The government, the Police and military due maintain the ultimate rule of the country.
And they took out millions of Brazilian reals worth of loans to build stadiums to play a
a soccer game. You can't live in a stadium. The government should have fixed the deplorable housing and living conditions of those favela residents, and did something about Brazils high crime rate, before they invited

Non important soccer game?

You don't know DICK, not a single thing about Brasil!

Non important soccer game?

You don't know DICK, not a single thing about Brasil!

I do know that after the game is over people still have to go to a home to sleep and take a
shower!. Is a soccer game going to put good strong roof over my head ? or food on the table? I do know that a lot o Brazilians are asking the same questions that I am asking.
Millions were spent on a stadium, you can not live in a stadium, or eat stadium.!
And then the government of Brazil went and invited the entire world in!?. With all those
domestic problems ongoing!?.
I think the government of Brazil has its priorities out of order.!

Government as the solution to housing, thinking g that governments can fix things, that is the problem.

as far as the protests go, they are actually more like a real war. The protestors blew the head off a reporter with a bomb, I could hardly call that a protest or riot.

I can not figure this one out also. Why would you spend millions on a Soccer stadium, and invite the entire world to your country, when you have some of your citizens living bunched up on one another in Favelas areas, with a very high crime rate.?!

You can't figure that out? Let me help you with an analytic tool. Take the behavior of a national government and reduce it to that of an individual.

Brazil is doing exactly what a liberal does when he pimps and preens and struts around like a peacock telling everyone how enlightened and caring he is for supporting some redistributive policy designed to help the poor. He's showboating.

A conservative would ask "Yes, but what are you doing in the form of personal sacrifice to help the poor? Just voting and agitating isn't doing anything to demonstrate that you care, it's just a show for people - it's something you're doing to enhance your own ego."

Brazil's government is acting like a liberal who is showboating to boost his own self-image. You're expecting Brazil's government to act like a conservative, to do something substantive about a problem. Clearly, the government is more interested in presenting an image to the world than it is in solving a problem, exactly how liberals live day-to-day in real life. It's all about self-image.

If you would pursue money for your nation, would you go hat-in-hand to potential benefactors bemoaning the plight of your poor or would you pitch a grandiose plan for massive construction projects creating jobs to build with brick and mortar complexes that would open your country to the world via attendance and ratings?

Forum List

Back