More Economic Good News: Jobless claims lowest in 18 months!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by rightwinger, Dec 31, 2009.

1. rightwinger

rightwinger Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,506
    Jobless claims fall to lowest level since ’08 - Stocks & economy- msnbc.com

WASHINGTON - The number of newly laid-off workers filing claims for unemployment benefits dropped unexpectedly last week, a sign the job market is healing as the economy slowly recovers.
    New jobless claims have dropped steadily since September, raising hopes that the economy may soon begin creating jobs and the unemployment rate could decline. That, in turn, would give households more money to spend and add fuel to the broader economic rebound that began earlier this year.

The Labor Department said Thursday that new claims for unemployment insurance fell by 22,000 to a seasonally adjusted 432,000, the lowest since July 2008. That's much better than the rise to 460,000 that Wall Street economists expected.

The four-week average, which smooths fluctuations, fell for the 17th straight week to 460,250, the lowest since September 2008, when the financial crisis intensified. The crisis led to widespread mass layoffs, which sent jobless claims to as high as 674,000 last spring.

2. nodoginnafight

nodoginnafight No Party Affiliation

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,497
    getting harder and harder for the failure-hacks to spin failure out of good news isn't it.

Still a long way to go but cautiously optimistic

3. slackjawed

slackjawed Self deported

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +645
    This sounds like good news. I wonder how long it will be before someone posts the reasons that it isn't good news.

4. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    But Obama was supposed to fix in 2 months everything Bush took 8 years screwing up.
    !

5. Truthmatters

Truthmatters BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    I wonder how many years it will take for the republicans to say Obama caused this Great Recession?

It took them half a century to stoop to that one with FDR.

6. nodoginnafight

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,497
    I understand that many are far too indoctrinated ... but I wonder how many others are getting a much more clear picture of the disconnect between radical right rhetoric and the realities on the ground.

7. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,204
    id rather see the job market actually healed then jump up and down in joy when we only have signs.

We still have double digit unemployment. When we drop that significantly, ill be happy. Until then, I am not optimistic. We still havent addressed the actual causes of the recession to begin with. Quite the opposite, we've made things worse. There may appear to be a recovery for a bit. But until there actually is one. Im not optimistic.

I dont see how Obama continuing the last 50 years of policies that has lead up to this problem is magically fixing it by giving money to his campaign donors. It simply isnt going to create long term growth.

8. nodoginnafight

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,497
    Pretty funny:

AND

covered at once - LOL.

9. rdean

rdean rddean

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,012
    Let's start at the very beginning,
    A very good place to start,
    When you read you begin with A...B...C
    When you sing you begin with Do Re Me...........

Even Fox news wrote something positive. Even Fox News. And their goal is to bring down the President of the United States:

Business Activity in Midwest Nears 4-Year High - FOXBusiness.com

NEW YORK--Business activity in the U.S. Midwest expanded far more than expected in December, hitting an almost four-year high as employment posted the biggest monthly gain since September 2008, an industry association reported on Wednesday.

The gain in employment, which has been a top worry as the economy struggles to claw back from the worst recession in decades, was seen as strong evidence the recovery is gaining traction.

The Institute for Supply Management-Chicago said its business barometer rose to 60.0, its highest reading since January 2006, from 56.1 in November. The result topped analysts' median forecast of 55.0.

10. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    When we start gaining more jobs than losing them I will be pleased.